A few Q's.

Old May 2nd 2008, 4:30 am
Just Joined

kev24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A few Q's.

hey everyone.

I've moved to the US now, on a k1. We got married in Vegas 2 weeks ago now, just waiting on the marriage certificate to come so I can send off for my aos. I was wondering, do I send all (aos, ead and ap) together to the place in chicago i've read on here in the past or do i send anything to my local office. Also, want to make sure, the ead and ap have no fee when filing all together, yes?

One more thing, going for social security card on monday. What exactly do I need to take with me?

Oh, am I able to apply for my driving licence just now?

That's all for now. Thanks.
Old May 2nd 2008, 5:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few Q's.

Originally Posted by kev24
hey everyone.

I've moved to the US now, on a k1. We got married in Vegas 2 weeks ago now, just waiting on the marriage certificate to come so I can send off for my aos. I was wondering, do I send all (aos, ead and ap) together to the place in chicago i've read on here in the past or do i send anything to my local office. Also, want to make sure, the ead and ap have no fee when filing all together, yes?
Yes, all your applications go in the same envelope to the Chicago lockbox. Nothing goes to your local office. The $1,010 fee includes the I-485, I-765, I-131 and biometrics. No extra fees.

One more thing, going for social security card on monday. What exactly do I need to take with me?
In addition to the SSN application, which you can fill out ahead of time and bring with you, you need your passport, K-1 visa, and I-94 card. Best not to advertise the fact that you are now married. It's not a question on the application form, and it's best not to volunteer that information to SSN. Sometimes they get picky with a K-1 holder who is now married and applying for the SSN. Go to www.ssa.gov to look for the application for a new SSN.

Oh, am I able to apply for my driving licence just now?
It depends on your state laws, but I would say most likely not. Most states now required you to have your SSN first. But check on google for your state's motor vehicle division's website and see what they list as necessary documents.

Best Wishes and congratulations on the marriage!
Rene

That's all for now. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the information, and best wishes. I never knew getting married before applying for a ssn would have been a problem.

On the citizenship section of the ssn form, being a k1 holder, I ofcourse tick 'alien not allowed to work', yes?

Thanks again.

Kev
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I never knew getting married before applying for a ssn would have been a problem.
It is not a problem, it just has nothing to do with your SSA application and it is best to not confuse their tiny minds (sorry SSA workers.. all of mine were smart).
You are a K-1, you are entitled to get a SSN in your first 76 days in the US. Period.

Read, print and take this with you in your back pocket: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the information, and best wishes. I never knew getting married before applying for a ssn would have been a problem.
It's not really a "problem". You are still eligible for the SSN, it's just that the person behind the window might not know that.

On the citizenship section of the ssn form, being a k1 holder, I ofcourse tick 'alien not allowed to work', yes?
NO! You ARE allowed to work! Tick "alien, allowed to work".

Rene
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:21 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again.

Kev
No you are allowed to work. K-1's are allowed to work for the duration of their visa. They are also allowed to work with an EAD which you will be applying for.
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:27 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
No you are allowed to work. K-1's are allowed to work for the duration of their visa. They are also allowed to work with an EAD which you will be applying for.
But that is a different EAD... that won't help him get the SSN.
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:33 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
But that is a different EAD... that won't help him get the SSN.
Huh? There is only one type of EAD. What are you smoking?

I didn't say he needed the EAD card right now. Just pointing out that he is allowed to work and with the one year EAD card will continue to be allowed to work. In either case, the card will come with the legend about working only with USCIS permission.

Also he needs to know that when he becomes a PR he is to change the SSN card to one that does NOT have the legend but the same number.
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:39 am
Just Joined

I see. Thanks. Just thought seeing as I didn't have my ead at the moment I was not allowed to work, so was unsure what box to tick. But I can work until the for the length of my k1 visa. I'd have to wait until I get my ssn number ofcourse? Has anyone here worked using the k1 visa, before getting the ead? Just wondering if it is difficult explaining to an employer that you are infact allowed to work. Plus i guess the fact you'd have to stop working within a few months may be difficult... seeing as it seems the ead and green card take a while to process.

cheers
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:51 am

I see. Thanks. Just thought seeing as I didn't have my ead at the moment I was not allowed to work, so was unsure what box to tick. But I can work until the for the length of my k1 visa. I'd have to wait until I get my ssn number ofcourse? Has anyone here worked using the k1 visa, before getting the ead? Just wondering if it is difficult explaining to an employer that you are infact allowed to work. Plus i guess the fact you'd have to stop working within a few months may be difficult... seeing as it seems the ead and green card take a while to process.

cheers
You got it all correct. You are allowed to work, being a K-1 holder. But unless you came through JFK and got a temp EAD stamp, you have no proof of your right to work. Right now you don't have the documents you need to show on the I-9 (a form which your employer uses to verify your right to work).

Some people come through JFK and get the temp EAD stamp in their passports, and get employed. You don't need to have the SSN in hand to start working, you can give it to the employer when you get it.

And yes, even if you had the temp EAD stamp, there would most likely be a gap where you would be unauthorized to work. So that's a potential problem also.

My fiance came on a K-1 and got the temp EAD stamp at JFK. He became self-employed, so he didn't have to report to anyone with his work authorization documents.

Rene
Old May 2nd 2008, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Rete
Huh? There is only one type of EAD. What are you smoking?

I didn't say he needed the EAD card right now. Just pointing out that he is allowed to work and with the one year EAD card will continue to be allowed to work. In either case, the card will come with the legend about working only with USCIS permission.

Also he needs to know that when he becomes a PR he is to change the SSN card to one that does NOT have the legend but the same number.
lol, why does everyone keep asking me that?

There are different classes of EAD (application code). There IS an EAD that can be applied for as a K-1; it is valid only for the 90 day K-1 admission period (and is therefore useless).
The 'other' one is the one-year EAD applied for AS an AOS applicant.

OP, you would be well served reading this article in the wiki: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1#Social_Security_Number