Feeling Overwhelmed.....

Old Oct 29th 2003, 7:53 am
Zed
Forum Regular

Zed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Feeling Overwhelmed.....

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
Hi Rene,
I know how you feel, and I think you are right… take it one step at a time and pretty soon you will have worked your way through it.

Actually, the consular forms are not “that� tough, however I do recall filling out an OF-230 Part 1 form for one of my Canadian K-1 beneficiaries. On that form, it asks one to list the dates of all previous visits to, or residence in the United States (It doesn’t say, within a certain amount of time, but “all� previous visits or residence in the U.S.).

This particular beneficiary must have visited the U.S. 75 to 100 times in her life, and it was a rather daunting job to put all that information together for that form.

As a related issue, LPR’s should try to keep track of all of their departures from the U.S., as it might come in handy later on (to have listed them on a sheet of paper or in a booklet or file of some kind as each trip is made) if the LPR eventually applies for U.S. Citizenship (such application might be made “many, many years� after becoming an LPR). On the N-400 form, the applicant must list all trips of 24 hours or more that have been taken outside the United States since becoming a lawful permanent resident.

The form asks for the date of departure from the U.S., the date of returning to the U.S. (plus you check a box indicating whether or not the trip lasted 6 months or more), the countries that were visited, and the total days outside the U.S. for each trip.

“Plus�, one must indicate how many total days that one spent outside the U.S. during the past 5 years, plus how many trips of 24 hours or more that one has taken outside the U.S. during the past 5 years.

Maybe its just me, but if an LPR travels abroad even a few times, I think it might be worthwhile creating a sheet or file where this data can be entered as each trip is taken. Might make the N-400 applicant feel less “overwhelmed� when the time comes to list that data on the N-400.
Wait a second... They genuinely want us to write down every single time we've ever been to the US? My goodness, how on Earth do those of us who live close to the border keep track of every time we popped across to buy some gas & milk? And do we list them back to age 18, or for our entire life? Not possible for me. Shoot, this better not make it hard!

I sure hope they don't have a record of all of my arrivals & departures, as there's no way on Earth that I'll be able to remember dates, with the exception of the actual "trips" I've taken during the past 3-4 years.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Plan of Attack

Wow, thanks everyone for all the support and positive thoughts :-) I really needed that today! I'm sure glad I have you all around to lean on! ((( hugs )))

OK, here's my Plan of Attack! Sunday I'll come in to work where it will be nice and quiet. I'll have the photocopier, pens, paper, and all the necessary documents here. I'll fill out a form, make photocopies of it, place it in the binder, and label it....one form at a time. As I go, if I see I'm lacking anything, I'll write it down on a list to get later. In the meantime, before Sunday, I'll decide what belongs in the 3 categories....his paperwork, my paperwork, and supporting docs.

All he needs to do over there is get the police certificate, until he gets Packet 3 with the detailed instructions.

Ahhhhhhh, I feel better now that I have a Plan. :-)

Thanks again everyone!
Rene
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:27 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CharlieS
next time any paperwork needs doing, you and hubby-to-be will be together, so you can remind him of these moments, and make him do it all.
Hi Charlie,

LOL, oh don't worry....once he's here, we will be doing the AOS paperwork TOGETHER, English or no English...LOL I'm so glad to be doing this for him, though...although I'm intimidated at the moment with Mt. Everest ahead of me, I truly wouldn't have it any other way :-)

Rene
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:30 am

Hi Rene,
I know how you feel, and I think you are right… take it one step at a time and pretty soon you will have worked your way through it.

Actually, the consular forms are not “that� tough, however I do recall filling out an OF-230 Part 1 form for one of my Canadian K-1 beneficiaries. On that form, it asks one to list the dates of all previous visits to, or residence in the United States (It doesn’t say, within a certain amount of time, but “all� previous visits or residence in the U.S.).

This particular beneficiary must have visited the U.S. 75 to 100 times in her life, and it was a rather daunting job to put all that information together for that form.

As a related issue, LPR’s should try to keep track of all of their departures from the U.S., as it might come in handy later on (to have listed them on a sheet of paper or in a booklet or file of some kind as each trip is made) if the LPR eventually applies for U.S. Citizenship (such application might be made “many, many years� after becoming an LPR). On the N-400 form, the applicant must list all trips of 24 hours or more that have been taken outside the United States since becoming a lawful permanent resident.

The form asks for the date of departure from the U.S., the date of returning to the U.S. (plus you check a box indicating whether or not the trip lasted 6 months or more), the countries that were visited, and the total days outside the U.S. for each trip.

“Plus�, one must indicate how many total days that one spent outside the U.S. during the past 5 years, plus how many trips of 24 hours or more that one has taken outside the U.S. during the past 5 years.

Maybe its just me, but if an LPR travels abroad even a few times, I think it might be worthwhile creating a sheet or file where this data can be entered as each trip is taken. Might make the N-400 applicant feel less “overwhelmed� when the time comes to list that data on the N-400.
Hi Matt!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. You make it sound so easy! And thanks for the tip about future travel outside the US. My fiance does plan to make frequent business trips outside the US, so I'll definitely keep a log of his travels for future AOS purposes. As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

Rene
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold

This weekend Im sitting down and going over all the paperwork in readiness for when the London embassy sends me all the forms. In all honesty - Im dreading it!! Im a legal secretary so I should be used to it - but the thought of crossing the "t's" and dotting the "i's" - going over all the paperwork again - Oh I'm not looking forward to this weekend at all!

Matt - It's so much easier completing paperwork for clients!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Plan of Attack

Originally posted by Noorah101
Wow, thanks everyone for all the support and positive thoughts :-) I really needed that today! I'm sure glad I have you all around to lean on! ((( hugs )))

OK, here's my Plan of Attack! Sunday I'll come in to work where it will be nice and quiet. I'll have the photocopier, pens, paper, and all the necessary documents here. I'll fill out a form, make photocopies of it, place it in the binder, and label it....one form at a time. As I go, if I see I'm lacking anything, I'll write it down on a list to get later. In the meantime, before Sunday, I'll decide what belongs in the 3 categories....his paperwork, my paperwork, and supporting docs.
Rene

That's the way!!! Your method sounds very similar to mine this weekend!!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:47 am

Originally posted by Lara45
This weekend Im sitting down and going over all the paperwork in readiness for when the London embassy sends me all the forms. In all honesty - Im dreading it!! Im a legal secretary so I should be used to it - but the thought of crossing the "t's" and dotting the "i's" - going over all the paperwork again - Oh I'm not looking forward to this weekend at all!

Hi Lara

Too bad we don't live close together....we could make it a day of immigration paperwork together and then celebrate with dinner afterwards! That's funny, I'm a secretary too (for an engineering firm), and like you, should be used to all the details! Well, let's try to think of each other while we're dealing with it all over the weekend, and be together in spirit, anyway! :-)

Good Luck!
Rene
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of

Yes but just think of the reward - it's SOOO worth it!

But you don't receive any benefit from this at all
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Noorah101
Hi Lara

Too bad we don't live close together....we could make it a day of immigration paperwork together and then celebrate with dinner afterwards! That's funny, I'm a secretary too (for an engineering firm), and like you, should be used to all the details! Well, let's try to think of each other while we're dealing with it all over the weekend, and be together in spirit, anyway! :-)

:-) Just think - by ....... say, Monday, we'll both be feeling so much better!
Old Oct 29th 2003, 8:51 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, especially when I've done it literally hundreds of times now for clients. Plus I think I've seen about every weird fact pattern (client’s unique factual situation/history) that could possibly come into play (although every once in a while, something new pops up).

Good luck.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, especially when I've done it literally hundreds of times now for clients. Plus I think I've seen about every weird fact pattern (clientÂ’s unique factual situation/history) that could possibly come into play (although every once in a while, something new pops up).

Good luck.

The firm that I work for deal with family law matters - today we had a case where the wife wanted to take the child out of the jurisdiction - ex husband disagreed - I sat there reading through the papers and I crossed myself - the wife really had no inkling just what lies ahead of her - she thought it was just a case of booking a ticket - she called in to the office this afternoon and she was absolutely devastated when she realised that the procedure - the "legal procedure" is going to take many, many, months - she hadn't even contemplated the immigration process. Under the circumstances Matt - with what she has to face - I couldn't burden her with more worry.
Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:28 am
Charlie Tuna

CharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieS is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by sunflwrgrl13
Ha!! Mine's Scottish!! Even worse! ;-)
Jmaie

Lol, ok you win. I cant compete with the scottish!