Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Faster than I ever imagined - Removal of Conditions in 4 months

Wikiposts

Faster than I ever imagined - Removal of Conditions in 4 months

Old Sep 25th 2005, 6:58 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Faster than I ever imagined - Removal of Conditions in 4 months

Originally Posted by curlylocks
Congratulations on the removal of conditions! I have to submit my applocation for ROC in January of next year and have just started thinking about it. I have a cpl of Qs that maybe some of you know the answers to:
1. I guess how long it takes really varies - does anyone have experience through Baltimore?
2. Are you able to travel during the time that your GC is essentially expired but before they officially remove your condional status?
3. Has anyone filed a combo ROC status AND application for Naturalization at the same time? this was something mentioned to us by our interviewer for AOS but I can't remember exactly what he said. I can apply for citizenship after 3 yrs from my AOS right? (I married a US citizen).

Thanks for any input!

curly
Hi curly,
Your I-751 will be filed to your Service Center, so those are the processing times to look at. As several of us have said, something is afoot with the I-751s; they are being processed pretty quickly now. But, their speed doesn't matter too much as you'll be able to get on with life after filing.

When your I-751 is received, you'll get back a NOA that extends your status for one year. This letter + your expired green Card, are valid evidence of your *continued status* as a Permanent Resident. You can travel etc with that combo.

I don't think anyone would be able to file a combo package like you describe. The I-751 must go in in the 90 days before you card expires, which is 2 years of Permanent Residency.
An N-400 can be filed as early as 3 years (minus 90 days) from your date of PR.

Some people have been ready to file N-400 *before* hearing a decision on the I-751, maybe that's what you were remembering. If that's the case, you can file N-400 even if you have not heard back on the i-751. If it gets as far as your N-400 interview date, that officer can adjudicate the I-751 before approving the N-400.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Faster than I ever imagined - Removal of Conditions in 4 months

Originally Posted by meauxna
Hi curly,
Your I-751 will be filed to your Service Center, so those are the processing times to look at. As several of us have said, something is afoot with the I-751s; they are being processed pretty quickly now. But, their speed doesn't matter too much as you'll be able to get on with life after filing.

When your I-751 is received, you'll get back a NOA that extends your status for one year. This letter + your expired green Card, are valid evidence of your *continued status* as a Permanent Resident. You can travel etc with that combo.

I don't think anyone would be able to file a combo package like you describe. The I-751 must go in in the 90 days before you card expires, which is 2 years of Permanent Residency.
An N-400 can be filed as early as 3 years (minus 90 days) from your date of PR.

Some people have been ready to file N-400 *before* hearing a decision on the I-751, maybe that's what you were remembering. If that's the case, you can file N-400 even if you have not heard back on the i-751. If it gets as far as your N-400 interview date, that officer can adjudicate the I-751 before approving the N-400.
I was reading another thread some time ago, involving someone whose spouse was in military duty, about to go overseas, where the N-400 could be filed early, for some reason. In a scenario like that, isn't it possible that an I-751 and an N-400 could be filed at about the same time?