Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

F-1 apply for OPT or begin the AOS process...

Wikiposts

F-1 apply for OPT or begin the AOS process...

Old Apr 27th 2010, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

jeb228 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default F-1 apply for OPT or begin the AOS process...

Hi,

First thanks for posting such great info on the forum.

My question is: I am a student under an F-1 status and I am married (for less than 2 years) to a U.S. citizen.

I will finish my studies in June and I am wondering whether I should submit my i-765 requesting for OPT or wait until I have all the required documentation for the AOS process and file my i-765 when I file my i-485.

Also, about the i-485 I have a quick question (I hope not a dumb one) of which application type to select on the form. There seems to be no application type that exactly matches my situation.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F-1 apply for OPT or begin the AOS process...

Originally Posted by jeb228
I will finish my studies in June and I am wondering whether I should submit my i-765 requesting for OPT or wait until I have all the required documentation for the AOS process and file my i-765 when I file my i-485.
I think that's really a choice only you can make. You can go either way. My own opinion is that if you want to remain in the USA you'll have to file AOS eventually anyway, why not now?

Also, about the i-485 I have a quick question (I hope not a dumb one) of which application type to select on the form. There seems to be no application type that exactly matches my situation.
If you think about the fact that you'll also be submitting an I-130 in that packet, which gives you the basis for filing the I-485, the application type becomes more clear.

Rene