Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Extending/proving my status on a K-1

Wikiposts

Extending/proving my status on a K-1

Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:44 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute
Default Extending/proving my status on a K-1

Hey,

Well, I got into the Mississippi on a K-1 on 14th November. I landed in JFK, and at first inspection my passport and I-94 was stamped for 6 months (hooray) but it was caught at secondary processing and they changed the date on my I-94 to 6 months.

We're still not married, and I have until 12th Feb to do so.

The problem I am facing now is getting a drivers license. The MS Department of Public Safety say I can't have a license until I can show that I have at least 6 months of legal status. My I-94 has a stamp up until 12th Feb, and my passport has a stamp from 12th May (the 6 month mistake stamp in my passport) but neither are good enough. The HP guy I talked to told me to get my I-94 extended to prove I could be here, or wait until I get the approval of AOS, which I assume will take a while from filing.

Has anyone got any tips on what path I can take on this? Is it best to just wait until I've filed for AOS?

I've got a bank and my SSN set up, it's just the state license I need to get sorted now.

Cheers in advance.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 7:28 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extending/proving my status on a K-1

You cannot get your I-94 extended so forget about that. You will not have any documentation to prove that you are here legally for six months or longer until you have your one year EAD in hand. So until that time, use your UK driver's license.

Originally Posted by Knight
Hey,

Well, I got into the Mississippi on a K-1 on 14th November. I landed in JFK, and at first inspection my passport and I-94 was stamped for 6 months (hooray) but it was caught at secondary processing and they changed the date on my I-94 to 6 months.

The problem I am facing now is getting a drivers license. The MS Department of Public Safety say I can't have a license until I can show that I have at least 6 months of legal status. My I-94 has a stamp up until 12th Feb, and my passport has a stamp from 12th May (the 6 month mistake stamp in my passport) but neither are good enough. The HP guy I talked to told me to get my I-94 extended to prove I could be here, or wait until I get the approval of AOS, which I assume will take a while from filing.

Has anyone got any tips on what path I can take on this? Is it best to just wait until I've filed for AOS?

I've got a bank and my SSN set up, it's just the state license I need to get sorted now.

Cheers in advance.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hey,

Cheers in advance.
As Rete mentioned, you should be able to drive in MS on your UK license. I know in Kentucky, my hubby drove for 6 months on his license, but he could driven on it for up to 1 year. We had to wait until my hubby received his 1 year EAD before he could get a license. And then he had to take the written exam to get a Learner's permit for 30 days, and thereafter take the driving test to get the full license (but keep in mind every state is different).
Old Dec 12th 2007, 11:43 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

MS law says my foreign license is only good for 60 days of being in the state, and that as a non-resident, if I get stopped for a traffic violation, I will not be fined, but arrested and have to post a bond equal to the amount of the fine to negate the risk of just leaving the country instead of paying the fine.

But by the Master Sgt's own admission, he doesn't know how many HP officers know about that. Risky stuff.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

MS law says my foreign license is only good for 60 days of being in the state, and that as a non-resident, if I get stopped for a traffic violation, I will not be fined, but arrested and have to post a bond equal to the amount of the fine to negate the risk of just leaving the country instead of paying the fine.

But by the Master Sgt's own admission, he doesn't know how many HP officers know about that. Risky stuff.
Hi:

So take up residence in New Orleans or Mobile for a couple of days. I'm not sure if I'm kidding or not -- I know nothing but MS law.