Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Experience of London Interview & Medical - Long

Wikiposts

Experience of London Interview & Medical - Long

Old Feb 16th 2003, 4:33 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Experience of London Interview & Medical - Long

London Interview Experience - Thursday 13th February 2003

General Notes

The Central Line is still out of action and Marble Arch Tube Station was closed. The Bond Street Tube Station is therefore closest to both the Surgery and the US Embassy.

When approaching the US Embassy from Oxford Street, I recommend walking down North Audley Street (between Selfridges and M&S on the opposite side of the road). This will bring you out next to the entry point through the security barrier around the Embassy. There is a Starbucks and several cafes on North Audley Street.

The Embassy is shut on Monday 17th Feb for President’s Day.

Medical

It took 20 minutes for me to walk along Oxford Street from Tottenham Court Road to Doc Phelan’s Surgery, where I arrived at 0745. There were 10 people already waiting outside, and another 4 arrived after me. Someone rang the doorbell at 0800 and we were all admitted.

Once inside we were ushered past reception into a waiting room, and given a red folder with a set of instructions explaining the medical procedure. We were asked to put our passports, the completed medical questionnaire and one passport photo into the red folder, and return the folder to the receptionist.

Note: Don’t worry about being outside the surgery too early in the morning, the medical process doesn’t appear to work on a “first come, first served� basis. I was one of the last people through the surgery door when it opened, I was the second person to hand in my red folder and ended up being the sixth person to be processed. It looked like the order was “ladies first�.

After handing in my red folder, I returned to the waiting room to wait for my name to be called. The loudspeaker bleeps loudly to signal an announcement, but you have to listen really carefully for whose name is being called - can be tricky if there is a room full of screaming children.

Once I was called through I was asked to pay the medical fee and sign my photo before being given a green folder and sent downstairs to a smaller waiting room. From this point on, everyone was dealt with in order. Before I sat down, I placed my green folder in a tray on the wall on the left, which the nurse came out to pick up.

First up is the blood test with the nurse, nothing much to say about that. It’s just a little prick after all, and then I returned to the small waiting room. Next up, I was called through to the changing cubicles for a chest x-ray, by the comedian, sorry radiographer. I won’t spoil it for you by telling you any of his routines, although if you’ve seen the episode of “Only Fools and Horses� when Del Boy goes to the Doctor then you’ll be familiar with some of his material.

After the x-ray I was then called through to see the doctor. He talked through my vaccination details, gave me some abuse about Scotland losing to Ireland at football the previous evening, took my blood pressure, tested my eyes and then subjected me to various prodding, tapping, listening and leg twisting exercises. He decided that I needed the MMR vaccine. I went back to the cubicle and got dressed. A few moments later I was handed my X-ray and told to go back upstairs. I met with another nurse who took my additional fee and gave me the vaccination. And that was it.

I was in the surgery for 2 hours and 20 minutes. The longest waiting time for me was waiting to be called. As I was called, the first lady to be called was leaving. If you are lucky to be called first, you could be out of there in one hour.

Interview

I met my wife in Starbucks after the medical and we went to the embassy. There was quite a long queue to get through the Embassy’s security checkpoint. Now being British, there’s nothing I like more than to queue, but this was business not pleasure, so I reluctantly showed my appointment letter to the security guard and was allowed through immediately.

We passed through an airport style security search inside the embassy, and then we went up the stairs to the right into INS where we found 6 booths and a waiting area. It’s like being in a bank, not what we were expecting at all. I waited at booth 1 until someone came over and took my appointment letter. We then took a seat. Booths 1-4 seem to be for initial processing, booths 5 & 6 are for the detailed questioning. There is a cashier’s window at the rear of the waiting area. A couple of video screens cycle through various pieces of information, e.g. what happens next with the visa process. There are also copies of a useful newspaper / guide for migrants to the USA, to read.

After a short wait we were called over to booth 2 by one of the INS staff and I was asked for all of the documents on the OF-169 checklist. I handed over three ADIT photos, was asked to sign one on the front and print my name on the back of the other two. I was then asked to pay the processing fee at the cashier’s and return the receipt to the staff member. We then sat down and waited.

A little bit later, we were called to booth 5 where another INS staff member went through our paperwork. My wife signed the I-864, I signed the OF-230-II and that was that. He told us to come back at 1230 and as long as my medical results were OK then my visa would be ready. We went away for some lunch and came back at 1230 (after jumping the queue again!). When we got through security and into INS, we didn’t even get a chance to sit down. The first INS guy we’d dealt with saw us arrive and summoned us across to booth 2 where he handed me the visa stapled to my mysterious brown sealed envelope.

We were quite nervous before the interview, but at the end of the day were surprised at how easy it had been. Our impression was that as long as you are healthy and your sponsor has the requisite financial means then you will have no problems. After all, the INS had carried out months of analysing our forms before we got our interview, which is ample time for any showstoppers to be identified. Everyone we dealt with on the day, particularly at the Embassy, was extremely friendly and helpful.
Old Feb 16th 2003, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations and best wishes for your future

Andy & Julie
Old Feb 16th 2003, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point

DaveC, your experience sounds just like Greg's because he was there on the same day! Did you recognize a guy with "geeky glasses" and a grey Indianapolis T-Shirt on? Probably had a bright blue Columbia jacket on as well! Thanks for sharing your experience... and congrats!
Old Feb 16th 2003, 5:31 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by beyness
DaveC, your experience sounds just like Greg's because he was there on the same day! Did you recognize a guy with "geeky glasses" and a grey Indianapolis T-Shirt on? Probably had a bright blue Columbia jacket on as well! Thanks for sharing your experience... and congrats!
Yeah, I remember him from the medical! I had a black leather jacket and a beige jumper on. Congratulations on your success, looks like you guys had been waiting as long as us.
Old Feb 16th 2003, 6:12 am
ScarlettHill

Congratulations! Sounds like a pretty smooth day.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett