Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Expeditious naturalization for children of Americans...do we have a chance?

Wikiposts

Expeditious naturalization for children of Americans...do we have a chance?

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:28 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Expeditious naturalization for children of Americans...do we have a chance?

Originally Posted by Hilda
Thanks, but why is it quicker in Buffalo?
Hi:

N-600k forms can be filed with ANY district office! The USCIS website has a link for local processing times -- look for the time for "N-600". The 322 applications used to be done with the N-600 plus an additional form -- they are now done on N-600k -- so the N-600 processing time is valid.

Last time I looked, Buffalo was the quickest.

On price of tickets -- note that you won't have much warning of the interview.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expeditious naturalization for children of Americans...do we have a chance?

I have a question regarding this whole vaccination thing, you mention having them yourself - does an adult need to prove immunity to these illnesses before they can become a citizen? I guess I would be having the titer in that case because I have medical records from a whole host of places to try and find otherwise...
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 1:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I have a question regarding this whole vaccination thing, you mention having them yourself - does an adult need to prove immunity to these illnesses before they can become a citizen? I guess I would be having the titer in that case because I have medical records from a whole host of places to try and find otherwise...
If one is already a US PR and applies for US citizenship, there is no medical involved...so no need for vaccinations.

Rene
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 3:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

My husband was born in American but was moved to England as a baby and has not spent more than a couple of months in the USA since. He has an American passport. I am British and we have four children together, who were not born in America.

As my husband has strong work opportunities in America (plus family he misses) we had hoped that we could 'just' go over there and he could work for a year or some other short term and then we could come back after having experienced a little of what it is like 'over there'. But alas it isn't that simple. First I've been advised that I can't really ask for a tourists visa because it is understandably assumed that perhaps if my husband has such strong ties there (family etc) then I may be a candidate for immigration instead. I didn't realise I was a liability

So we are tentatively exploring the process of applying for an immigration visa for me and the kids. First things first (and it does appear to be a slow painful step by painful step process) we have yet to discover if the kids can actually be American themselves, the advice I got years ago was that they could not be since my husband had not lived in the US for a longer time than a few months and I am not American so...

But then I hear about this 'expeditious naturalization for children' which translated (if I am understanding correctly) as if my husbands dad or mum (i.e: our kids grandparents) have lived in the US for a period of five years or more, then our kids can get American passports. Both my husbands father and mother have lived in America for more than five years, and his mother was born there. His grandparents also lived there for years and years, plus one set of grandparents were born there.

Question: anyone know anything about our chances? Or anyone ever been through something similar?

And if our kids are entitled to be American like their dad does this mean we can avoid putting our kids through the gruelling (above normal GP requirement) vaccination programmes that immigrants to the US are required to undergo and the expensive visa applications for our kids?

Plus, if this is a possibility, are the grandparents (husband's parents) then called upon to contribute to the proceedings?

Thanks for your help (in advance) this site is already proving to be very helpful and it is useful to know that we are all in the same boat (or not as the case may be).
You have two distinct options to get American citizenship for your children:

1. Expeditious naturalization based on American grandparents: (which has been around since 1 April 1995)
http://travel.state.gov/family/adopt.../info_456.html

2. Sponsor the children for an immigrant visa as normal. When they arrive in the United States and are admitted as Permanent Residents, they immediately become American citizens. This is under the Child Citizenship Act 2000, effective 27 February 2001:
http://travel.state.gov/family/adopt.../info_457.html

If you choose option 1 then if you migrate after the children become American citizens, they will not need visas. But not everyone is eligible for this option.

Both processes have an age limit of 18.

Your husband? Is he also a British citizen? If not, it would be strongly recommended for him to become British before he leaves the U.K. (should normally be possible within 6 months).
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ

Your husband? Is he also a British citizen? If not, it would be strongly recommended for him to become British before he leaves the U.K. (should normally be possible within 6 months).
Hi:

"Strongly recommended"??? Up to him I would think. Of course, I've inherited the Jewish refugee thing from my grandparents -- get as many passports as you can -- you never know when you might need one.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Hilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I really like your attitude! A good sense of humor is vitally important when going through this process! Consider yourself karma'd.

Ian
What is a karma'd? Is it an honor? *blushing* . I'd like to thank my parents for their support over the years and teaching me how to stand up for myself in a fight, I'd like to thank my first grade teacher who sat me alone in a desk and allowed me to write short stories when the others were doing maths, I'd like to...etc.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Hilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really nice

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

N-600k forms can be filed with ANY district office! The USCIS website has a link for local processing times -- look for the time for "N-600". The 322 applications used to be done with the N-600 plus an additional form -- they are now done on N-600k -- so the N-600 processing time is valid.

Last time I looked, Buffalo was the quickest.

On price of tickets -- note that you won't have much warning of the interview.
Dear Folinskyinla,

The advantage of us having to expect a longer wait (re: adopted children able to apply for 322 application after two years) would mean that we'd have time to work on our nest egg (selling family silver or similar and working overtime like mad). I could imagine that the notice for the 322 interview would be short and so we'd have to just take the best flight offer at time.

Am now looking and relooking at N600 details....can see the meter ticking away. Having a reasonable sum ready to go is a definite I can see.

So far, best advice to newbies like us in this? Get cash ready.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
You have two distinct options to get American citizenship for your children:

1. Expeditious naturalization based on American grandparents: (which has been around since 1 April 1995)
http://travel.state.gov/family/adopt.../info_456.html

2. Sponsor the children for an immigrant visa as normal. When they arrive in the United States and are admitted as Permanent Residents, they immediately become American citizens. This is under the Child Citizenship Act 2000, effective 27 February 2001:
http://travel.state.gov/family/adopt.../info_457.html

If you choose option 1 then if you migrate after the children become American citizens, they will not need visas. But not everyone is eligible for this option.

Both processes have an age limit of 18.

Dear JAJ,

I appreciate your advice. All evidence points towards the children being 'entitled' to expeditious naturalization due to the length of time their paternal grandparents have been in the USA. Husband not British citizen and holds and American passport but is regretting not spending more time in the US because this would have made it easier for the kids to get their passports.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

"Strongly recommended"??? Up to him I would think. Of course, I've inherited the Jewish refugee thing from my grandparents -- get as many passports as you can -- you never know when you might need one.
Dear Folinskyinla,

Hoho, refugee mentality hard to shed! I know that feeling.

Husband does not, however, want to be a British Citizen, at all.

He's been reading the British tabloids.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Dear ChicagoJLo,

There is no doubt about the fact that I have to go through the vaccines or the test of immunity. *gulp* *hides under bed*

I'm fine. Honestly, I'm fine. What's a few needles?!

I am also having a problem with gathering my medical records since they are scattered and don't appear to be have been kept correctly in certain places. So the titer test it would be, probably. Anyone had this test? I heard some rumour about it being complicated due to waiting times?
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
heheheh.... well, look at it this way. At least you *have* a way to pursue your move... read here for a while and you will see a lot of really frustrated folk who haven't got a chance.

The 322 stuff is new to me, so I keep looking it up with you. You know, it could be a very wise investment of your time/money/sanity to seek out a US immigration lawyer who already knows this stuff (and is not charging you for their learning curve) and have a consultation with all the facts. Stuff like 'half the kids are adopted by the USC' clearly make a difference.

And pop over to the USA Forum and start browsing.. you really can't be *too* prepared. One ugly thing that has come to mind is your USC's US Income Tax returns. He is supposed to be declaring his worldwide income every year, and isn't *that* fun (not).

The *culture* of moving can be harder than the immigration. After all, that stuff will work itself out if you stay on top of it. The differences in cultures requires more effort. And while Oregon, specifically Portland, is a more liberal (ok, face it, this is where hippies come to retire) spot than where you are, not every state is the same, and not every part of a given state is the same. We often have the urban/rural divide here in voting, local culture and needs/wants. Geographically, we are the same size as the UK, but with only 3 million people. And a lot of cows in the bottom right corner.

The downsides in Oregon? Plenty. We're far from the UK (a 13 hour direct flight from Seattle--London). Our climate is, well, often gray and damp west of the mountains and cold and clear east of them. We're notoriously small-town minded for a city of 1.5 million. Some people think we're not 'cool' enough, don't wear enough makeup or current fashions.. stuff like that.

Go to the wiki here and you can find links to a couple of local newspapers, and check out the discussion section of http://portland.craigslist.org/

There are quite a lot of Brits living here, but don't go looking for them. They're famously happy here, and don't tend to seek each other out much.

Of course, a lot of your destination will be determined by hub's work?

Well, so we don't bore everyone here, you are welcome to PM or email me for a chat. I don't have any kids, but I'm a whiz with the connections, so I'd be happy to put you in touch with folk who can help you more.
Dear meauxna,

Hoho, regarding 'where hippies go to retire'! Y'know, I was wondering where they had all gone.

Re: US immigration lawyer. It's funny you should mention that, because that is one of the first things I asked an Embassy (remaining nameless and locationless due to my determination to keep those details vague) about. The suggestion I was given was that I should NOT bother with such a lawyer, and that 'most' people didn't and had successfully executed their applications anyway. (Hmmm, am wondering, is 'executed' in context? Never mind.)

To be frank, while I know Embassy's are not giving out official advice, and this was only a suggestion I received, I am trying to figure out, does this mean that people employ the immigration lawyers to do the basic ground work and the proceed to their applications 'alone'? Or that embassy's prefer applicants to work without lawyers? Should I even be bringing this up?

In case of having bottomless pot of gold, an immigration lawyer would be a godsend, but without immediate funds (meaning funds coming but not immediately) how to? Maybe my fears of lawyers costs are unfounded. ARE they all that expensive? Seeing one could certainly stave off what could be a brain melt down. I am attempting to collate the information I am gathering, hence bits of paper with scrawl all over scattered about the office, and a thousand web pages bookmarked and increasingly expansive 'to do' lists stuck randomly about the house, but, let's be honest: this IS rocket science.

Hmmmm.

(Thinking aloud) Am considering the human cost now. A lawyer could help with the stress and tangles, and might be an additional finance to consider, but will save me from brain melt down, which is obviously not a good thing to be suffering if traversing the immigration process.

"Where did you meet your husband?"

"My husband? You mean Obi Wan Kenobi?!"

"NEXT!!"

So how to find a nice lawyer then? Is there a list of the hot but relatively inexpensive ones?

And what is 'normal' is it de rigeur to contact a lawyer at this stage? (Please excuse my French).
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 12:29 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What is a karma'd? Is it an honor?
Indeed it is! Did you notice the little blue boxes under your name? Click on "My Profile" at the top of the page!

Ian
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:18 am
Account Closed

Dear Folinskyinla,

The advantage of us having to expect a longer wait (re: adopted children able to apply for 322 application after two years) would mean that we'd have time to work on our nest egg (selling family silver or similar and working overtime like mad). I could imagine that the notice for the 322 interview would be short and so we'd have to just take the best flight offer at time.

Am now looking and relooking at N600 details....can see the meter ticking away. Having a reasonable sum ready to go is a definite I can see.

So far, best advice to newbies like us in this? Get cash ready.
Hi:

Please clarify one thing -- who is he NATURAL father of your kids. I just looked at the original post I got the distinct impression that he was the father and the children were born within your current marriage. By mentioning adoption, the path of the whole discussion has now changed.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:20 am
Account Closed

Dear ChicagoJLo,

There is no doubt about the fact that I have to go through the vaccines or the test of immunity. *gulp* *hides under bed*

I'm fine. Honestly, I'm fine. What's a few needles?!

I am also having a problem with gathering my medical records since they are scattered and don't appear to be have been kept correctly in certain places. So the titer test it would be, probably. Anyone had this test? I heard some rumour about it being complicated due to waiting times?
Hi:

I tell my clients that its simple -- find the records or become a pin cushion.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing complicated about it. You go and get a blood test. Results should be back within 72 hrs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.