Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Expeditious naturalization for children of Americans...do we have a chance?

Wikiposts

Expeditious naturalization for children of Americans...do we have a chance?

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expeditious naturalization for children of Americans...do we have a chance?

Originally Posted by Hilda
Dear ChicagoJLo,

Not all daycare or schooling requires hefty vaccination programmes before the child can participate (for example, waldorf schools don't and homeschoolers are obviously deciding for themselves), but I know that it is as standard in many schools and daycare centers. We are avoiding any path that would mean we'd 'have to' do the full monty, but I suppose this process is going to take a fair amount of months (years?? Decades?), by which time the kids will be old enough and probably able to decide for themselves whether they want to take a shot (or twelve) to gain access to new opportunities.

I have heard that there is some sort of test that one can opt for to see about natural immunity for certain diseases, e.g: whooping cough and measles, and so get away without repeating them if no record was kept of original programme. I've also heard that the prices for these tests can be high and the testing wait time long.

Thankyou for taking the time to respond to my query.
I believe it varies per state. Both of the licensed daycares we have used here have required us to show proof of immunisation in order for them to maintain their licenses. We were also told by the pediatrician who filled out the forms for us that they would need to be shown for school entrance too. But again like so many things it can differ by state, and I suspect even county and city. I didn't investigate the whole testing thing because I had my records, but I believe it was possible as you said.
And until your kids are out of the school system they don't get to be old enough to decide about that stuff I'm afraid.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:08 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expeditious naturalization for children of Americans...do we have a chance?

(oKAY just reading through the first link again, is it common to reach brain saturation point after only 7 hours of trailing internet and running back and forth to husband to jabber excitedly about 'new developments'? Definite need of lie down with wet flannel on head. Am presuming the stamina builds. Aargh threads all over the place).
lol, YES, very common!
You should not expect to absorb this all in one day.. give it about a week since you are learning a whole new language. And you have the additional info about the kids and citizenship to work out.

The 'DCF' Immigrant Visa process in London typically takes 4-6 months start to finish.

Nevermind the other threads for a moment.. too much detail right now might be dangerous! (you could run out of flannels).
One step at a time!

I think it would be useful for you to clarify what your concern about the vaccines is. As pointed out, the jabs will be required for school in the US, and it's likely that your kids have already had them all with the possible exception of the Hep-B. That is a handy one to have, regardless.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:34 am
Just Joined

Hilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
lol, YES, very common!
You should not expect to absorb this all in one day.. give it about a week since you are learning a whole new language. And you have the additional info about the kids and citizenship to work out.

The 'DCF' Immigrant Visa process in London typically takes 4-6 months start to finish.

Nevermind the other threads for a moment.. too much detail right now might be dangerous! (you could run out of flannels).
One step at a time!

I think it would be useful for you to clarify what your concern about the vaccines is. As pointed out, the jabs will be required for school in the US, and it's likely that your kids have already had them all with the possible exception of the Hep-B. That is a handy one to have, regardless.
Dear MEAUXNA,

Thanks for the reassurance re: flannels and how it is common.

Re: clarifying my concern about vaccinations, I am just concerned that the kids don't have to go through the immigration channels of visa rather than to receive what could be their so called 'right' of expeditious naturalization because if they are going through immigration visa channel then they have a whole load of vaccinations that we have chosen to avoid (I admit this at risk of being pelted with rotten tomatoes due to avant garde parenting stigma).

Sure their entry into certain schools would demand a vaccination programme depending on what is what in that school/state, but it's a case of crossing that bridge when we come to it. We are homeschooling already with our youngest kids not in daycare and one of the reasons we'd like to move to the US is because we can see there are many different types of schools to choose from (although we might be a bit dewey eyed about this one) but at the same time, the homeschooling movement is pretty huge in the US (certainly in the states we would be looking at) so the romantic notion is that we will not be seen as total wierdos for doing what we do. Except maybe for the cautious-about-vaccination stance we have. But then again, there are also plenty of parents in the US who are choosing alternatives to vaccination. And I gather they all live in Oregon. Someone correct me if I am wrong about that.

So to clarify, if our kids had to go through some major and massive vaccinations all at once just to gain entry into the US, then our happy little plans are well and truly scuppered (it's a no-can-do unless they are by then teenage and interested in doing their own research and choosing themselves) and we'll have to run off and join a circus or something.

I was not given all of the vaccines normally given to kids from my generation (nor did my mother nor her mother, not from any sect or anything, just stubborn women who made unusual choices I suppose - it works for us, good strong stock etc). But I suppose the least and most ideal I can expect is that kids do the expeditious naturalization (so no extra vaccines before entry) and I take the shots and see what they cocktail does to my system. I wouldn't have a choice about the shots, but it would be interesting to discover if I am indeed immune to the childhood illnesses I did have (I have mild forms of measles, mumps, whooping cough as a small kid). Of course it would be great if I was immune to a lot. I chose to have the TB jab and the rubella jab and I know I was given the polio sugar cube thing...so I at least have a few of them to tick off that list.

I hope there isn't anyone from the anti-anti-vaccination lobby who are going to pelt me with rotten fruit for this one.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:42 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am just concerned that the kids don't have to go through the immigration channels of visa...
As I said originally, if they are US citizens, they do not require any vaccinations in order to enter the US. USCs have the *right* to enter the US.

If, ultimately, they are deemed not to be US citizens, then they *will* require vaccinations before being granted a visa... or proof that they do not need them (usually a titer test).

Ian
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Hilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really niceHilda is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
As I said originally, if they are US citizens, they do not require any vaccinations in order to enter the US. USCs have the *right* to enter the US.

If, ultimately, they are deemed not to be US citizens, then they *will* require vaccinations before being granted a visa... or proof that they do not need them (usually a titer test).

Ian
Dear Ian,

Looking at the pages I've looked at and looked at again, it would indeed appear that the kids have a right to enter the US without a kerfuffle with more jabs than we'd want to give them. So (deep breaths) one step at a time, the mantra of this time.

I can tell that my coffee intake is going to be increasing at this rate, step by step. Desk and floor now littered with notes and eyes bleary and red as would also be if crazed journalist on scent of scoop.

Thanks again for your help with these questions.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Hey it's your choice to not immunise your kids, and accept the consequences that come with that. I'm not going to pelt you with anything for that! But I do find it funny that you will load yourself up with Panadol and caffeine yet have such an aversion to vaccinations!
(BTW I didn't have the rubella jab and was presented with a lot of hassle when pregnant. In the end I didn't have to have it but it was a big issue).
And homeschooling is big here.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:24 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

l

One step at a time!
Hi:

However, a 322 application filed in Buffalo might be a quicker re the kids.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

They will need jabs for school.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:54 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

if they have had 'any' jabs/sugar cubes at all - then your doctors should be able to give you a print out of what it was and when. IE - even if you have no evidence the doc should be able to give you some and they wont need to repeat those. I got the doc to do this for my two - even though i had their completed red medical books. It was far easy to show a printed page than a hadnwritten scribble in a book. I also asked them for my own vaccination records at the same time (for future reference).

I have had to show that list to the us doctors when we signed on and we discussed what was outstanding from a US perspective and worked out a way forward together. The doc gave me the impression i didnt have to agree to it (although i do believe in vaccinations and got them all done per recomendation). We discussed chicken pox as that is a standard vaccination here. I told them both my kids had that illness and they took my word for it without a fuss and they wont be having that one.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

MOST definitely.. and even considering the airfare, if they hop to it in the shoulder/off season, it would be less expensive. Medicals in London now cost $400 each person.

I needed to read the 322 stuff in more detail, but provided Hilda's in-laws meet the residency rules, that looks dandy. Is there anything special Hilda shouild check before they book flights? <g>

I noticed at State's website, they still refer to N-600, but there is a special form for 322 apps called N-600K? Hilda, maybe you should have a read of those instructions.

Hilda, about the vaccines, I don't know if you saw this, but I live in Oregon as a matter of fact! We do have a more liberal bent on these sorts of topics here, and a wide variety of schooling options including something called 'charter schools' that you might want to investigate. Will you be moving to Oregon?

You've mentioned very long timelines, btw, and no one has replied to that. But, including your own Immigrant Visa application, the family *could* be ready to move in 6-7 months. Husband could go earlier if necessary (and you could bear dealing with 4 kids on your own).

Here is a recent article about vax and public schools.

For yourself, you can take the titre tests to see if you are immune and if you decide to take the vax, you can get them through your own doc at a reduced price but more importantly, on YOUR schedule so that you don't get a giant cocktail all at once (actually I think there's a limit of how many/which kind they'll give you all at once anyway). The vaccine chart is posted on the London Embassy website (2nd link in my siggy).
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Thanks, but why is it quicker in Buffalo?
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
They will need jabs for school.
Fair enough.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:29 am
Just Joined

MOST definitely.. and even considering the airfare, if they hop to it in the shoulder/off season, it would be less expensive. Medicals in London now cost $400 each person.

I needed to read the 322 stuff in more detail, but provided Hilda's in-laws meet the residency rules, that looks dandy. Is there anything special Hilda shouild check before they book flights? <g>

I noticed at State's website, they still refer to N-600, but there is a special form for 322 apps called N-600K? Hilda, maybe you should have a read of those instructions.

Hilda, about the vaccines, I don't know if you saw this, but I live in Oregon as a matter of fact! We do have a more liberal bent on these sorts of topics here, and a wide variety of schooling options including something called 'charter schools' that you might want to investigate. Will you be moving to Oregon?

You've mentioned very long timelines, btw, and no one has replied to that. But, including your own Immigrant Visa application, the family *could* be ready to move in 6-7 months. Husband could go earlier if necessary (and you could bear dealing with 4 kids on your own).

Here is a recent article about vax and public schools.

For yourself, you can take the titre tests to see if you are immune and if you decide to take the vax, you can get them through your own doc at a reduced price but more importantly, on YOUR schedule so that you don't get a giant cocktail all at once (actually I think there's a limit of how many/which kind they'll give you all at once anyway). The vaccine chart is posted on the London Embassy website (2nd link in my siggy).
Dear meauxna,

Thankyou for your input. Oregon sounds great, really great. It must be such a relief to be pretty much surrounded by people of same minds when it comes to health and schooling issues or at least open to it. But may I ask, I hear so much about how wonderful Oregon is, but there must be a downside too? Pro's and cons.

The timeline I mentioned has now lengthened as in perusing the 322 document I found that any adopted children of the USC have to wait 2 years from the adoption to apply for the 322. Our eldest two were already born when my husband and I met (and subsequently married) and he completed adoption of them (so not 'step father' but adoptive father now) last year which means that we have well, by the sounds of it, two years before we can even apply. I'll have to find out for sure. *have to*

The upside of if we have to wait that long? Mmm, well, it's probably better to apply when we are totally prepared including being a bit more minted than we are today, and this could mean that the husband could be finishing the degree course he's been taking aside of work before we move. Which would have been rushed otherwise. And it would be better for me to get the vaccinations I need over a longer space of time, I suppose.

But then. Two years BEFORE we can apply? Back to drawing board. Step by step etc. Feel like am slowly losing marbles one by one, but please don't quote me on that.

Is like Limbo, but with better seats.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:51 am

heheheh.... well, look at it this way. At least you *have* a way to pursue your move... read here for a while and you will see a lot of really frustrated folk who haven't got a chance.

The 322 stuff is new to me, so I keep looking it up with you. You know, it could be a very wise investment of your time/money/sanity to seek out a US immigration lawyer who already knows this stuff (and is not charging you for their learning curve) and have a consultation with all the facts. Stuff like 'half the kids are adopted by the USC' clearly make a difference.

And pop over to the USA Forum and start browsing.. you really can't be *too* prepared. One ugly thing that has come to mind is your USC's US Income Tax returns. He is supposed to be declaring his worldwide income every year, and isn't *that* fun (not).

The *culture* of moving can be harder than the immigration. After all, that stuff will work itself out if you stay on top of it. The differences in cultures requires more effort. And while Oregon, specifically Portland, is a more liberal (ok, face it, this is where hippies come to retire) spot than where you are, not every state is the same, and not every part of a given state is the same. We often have the urban/rural divide here in voting, local culture and needs/wants. Geographically, we are the same size as the UK, but with only 3 million people. And a lot of cows in the bottom right corner.

The downsides in Oregon? Plenty. We're far from the UK (a 13 hour direct flight from Seattle--London). Our climate is, well, often gray and damp west of the mountains and cold and clear east of them. We're notoriously small-town minded for a city of 1.5 million. Some people think we're not 'cool' enough, don't wear enough makeup or current fashions.. stuff like that.

Go to the wiki here and you can find links to a couple of local newspapers, and check out the discussion section of http://portland.craigslist.org/

There are quite a lot of Brits living here, but don't go looking for them. They're famously happy here, and don't tend to seek each other out much.

Of course, a lot of your destination will be determined by hub's work?

Well, so we don't bore everyone here, you are welcome to PM or email me for a chat. I don't have any kids, but I'm a whiz with the connections, so I'd be happy to put you in touch with folk who can help you more.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:53 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I really like your attitude! A good sense of humor is vitally important when going through this process! Consider yourself karma'd.

Ian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.