Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Exact Tax Return Requirements...

Wikiposts

Exact Tax Return Requirements...

Old Feb 26th 2013, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exact Tax Return Requirements...

Rene, Jeff, Chris,

Thanks for your responses on this, and apologies for the seemingly naïve question Sounds like I can’t be 100% certain that I have the relevant tax documents for interview, unless I manage to get my paws on the tax transcripts being sent out by the IRS.

My lack of experience/understanding with US taxation procedures has me concerned that I may not have what they’re looking for. Like Chris says it’ll hopefully be a non-issue, especially since we are planning to use savings rather than income to demonstrate adequate means of financial support.

I will try to get the transcripts somehow, but otherwise I’ll just proceed to interview with the documents I have already

Many Thanks, Rich.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

In struggling to work out how we will get the IRS tax transcripts sent over from my wife's old address in the states, I'm just wondering if perhaps the IRS in London would be willing to send a copy of her tax transcripts to our UK address.

Does anyone have any experience of this, or can anyone advise on how to make this request?

Many Thanks, Rich.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:41 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richbogle84
I'm just wondering if perhaps the IRS in London would be willing to send a copy of her tax transcripts to our UK address.
If they've only recently been filed, transcripts won't yet be available. It usually takes 6 or 7 months before they're available. When they're available, it'll be because the IRS in the US has received the tax returns and reduced them to transcripts - so it's doubtful that London will have them anyway.

Ian
Old Feb 27th 2013, 12:44 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like I can’t be 100% certain that I have the relevant tax documents for interview...
Not so. You can be 100% certain you have all of the documents if you have a copy of everything that was submitted. If something wasn't submitted, you don't need it. All you need is a copy of the stuff that was submitted.

Ian
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:17 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your responses on this, and apologies for the seemingly naïve question Sounds like I can’t be 100% certain that I have the relevant tax documents for interview, unless I manage to get my paws on the tax transcripts being sent out by the IRS.

My lack of experience/understanding with US taxation procedures has me concerned that I may not have what they’re looking for. Like Chris says it’ll hopefully be a non-issue, especially since we are planning to use savings rather than income to demonstrate adequate means of financial support.
You are the UKC, so you're not expected to know what a US tax return is all about (yet!), and you aren't expected to be familiar with the relevant tax documents. But I'm curious why you're taking on this particular responsibility (to make sure you have complete tax returns). Shouldn't the USC who filed the return be able to just hand you a photocopy of everything she submitted to IRS? Whether that be in the UK or USA, it doesn't matter...she should have 1 full set of everything she turned in to IRS per tax return. A copy of that is what you need to bring.

Instead of looking at each tax form name, etc, just ask your USC spouse to hand you a photocopy of everything she submitted to IRS for each tax return. You don't even have to know what each form is for.

Rene
Old Feb 27th 2013, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks both,

The reason my wife isn't sure of what was sent to the IRS, is because she had an accountant/firm arrange her tax returns for the last few years. Either way, it seems we wont have time to wait on the IRS posting transcripts; I just found out that my interview is on 7th March.

I may have her call the IRS International Helpcentre in Philidelphia to see if they can fax/email the transcripts over. Failing that, we'll just have to hope we already have everything we need.

Regards, Rich.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 1:28 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both,

The reason my wife isn't sure of what was sent to the IRS, is because she had an accountant/firm arrange her tax returns for the last few years. Either way, it seems we wont have time to wait on the IRS posting transcripts; I just found out that my interview is on 7th March.

I may have her call the IRS International Helpcentre in Philidelphia to see if they can fax/email the transcripts over. Failing that, we'll just have to hope we already have everything we need.

Regards, Rich.
The accountant will have a full copy in his file...he can provide you with a complete photocopy.

Rene
Old Feb 28th 2013, 2:21 am
Account Closed

The reason my wife isn't sure of what was sent to the IRS, is because she had an accountant/firm arrange her tax returns for the last few years.
Rene is right... just get a copy from the accountant. I'm surprised you didn't think of this yourself.

Ian