Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Evidence of relationship?

Wikiposts

Evidence of relationship?

Old Nov 14th 2010, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Evidence of relationship?

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question about the AOS package - is it necessary to send proof of your relationship, such as wedding photos, with the AOS forms? We're sending a copy of our marriage certificate of course, but I just want to clarify about the other relationship evidence. Is it just required at the AOS interview? (if you're called for one).

Thanks!

RG
Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Evidence of relationship?

Just at the interview.

Rene
Old Nov 14th 2010, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just at the interview.

Rene
Thank you
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:04 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside, I submit that wedding photos are not proof of relationship. They are merely proof that a wedding took place, and the marriage certificate if better proof of that than the photos.

When looking for proof of [bona fide] relationship USCIS is looking for evidence that the married couple is living a joint life, not that they both attended the wedding.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by randomgirl
Just a quick question about the AOS package - is it necessary to send proof of your relationship, such as wedding photos, with the AOS forms?
Old Nov 15th 2010, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
As an aside, I submit that wedding photos are not proof of relationship. They are merely proof that a wedding took place, and the marriage certificate if better proof of that than the photos.

When looking for proof of [bona fide] relationship USCIS is looking for evidence that the married couple is living a joint life, not that they both attended the wedding.

Regards, JEff
Thanks Jeff

I get that, when we go for our AOS interview we'll have much more concrete proof of our joint life
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:50 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy

Regards, JEff
While there is a logical reason to agree with you, the USCIS does want to see wedding photos and will ask to keep one for your file. It is the groundwork necessary to prove a viable marriage. No wedding ceremony, religious or civil, no marriage.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:28 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Really? My wife never submitted any wedding photos for her adjustment of status.

And by the way, no wedding is required for marriage where we married. Go to the county registrar's office, sign the papers, and you're married. In our case, although we did have a wedding, we were married before we had the wedding.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Rete
While there is a logical reason to agree with you, the USCIS does want to see wedding photos and will ask to keep one for your file. It is the groundwork necessary to prove a viable marriage. No wedding ceremony, religious or civil, no marriage.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 10:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Well they did in ours and quite a few others that have posted here over the years. Never said it was mandatory. Having married in China I'm surprised you bothered with a ceremony after the fact.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

When we get called for interview we'll take all the evidence of our joint life and also our wedding / honeymoon album (which I haven't put together yet!). It makes sense that they would want to see some wedding photos, even though they may not prove that your marriage is legit. Obviously the other stuff (bank account, insurance, household bills in both names, lease in both names, etc) is important as well.
As with my visa interview I'm sure we'll end up taking way too much, and they probably won't look at most of it! Doesn't hurt to be prepared though

RG
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:08 am

No, you didn't say it was mandatory, but it almost sounded like it.

[QUOTE=Rete;8984130]Well they did in ours and quite a few others that have posted here over the years. Never said it was mandatory.
... the USCIS does want to see wedding photos and will ask to keep one for your file. ....

Brides and their parents - parents especially - like to show off for the family and friends. And although this was her second marriage, my wife didn't have a wedding the first time - they just registered. (The divorce worked the same way - back to the registrar's office, sign a different set of papers, and the marriage is over.) Her parent's weren't about to let that happen again.

Her sister, like a lot of others, did just the opposite her first time around - had a wedding but never registered. (Didn't tell the parents that, though.) So when her husband started playing around she was free to simply throw him out.

Having married in China I'm surprised you bothered with a ceremony after the fact.
End of diversity lesson!

Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Nov 16th 2010 at 6:11 am.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 12:47 pm

EU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud of

I believe if you have evidences of your wedding other than marriage certificate, file those evidences to USCIS. Of course if you did not have a big wedding, it is not the end of the world especially if you are still in the marriage or you can explain the reason of not having a big ceremony. (financial, cultural reasons...)
Personally I had a middle sized wedding even though we did not have too much money, however being married the 1st time (and thought the last time) of course we wanted it to be memorable! ....and in my case the wedding plays a huge part since our marriage lasted less than a year ...where I need to prove the good faith marriage. I believe people have different views whether the wedding ceremony proves anything or not. However what USCIS looks whether the couple entered into the marriage in good faith. The wedding ceremony is one of the evidences from many...

I also like what my lawyer told me once....what matter is integrity.

Have a good night Everyone!

Last edited by EU_Girl; Nov 16th 2010 at 1:01 pm.