Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Evening y'all - marriage visa to USA

Evening y'all - marriage visa to USA

Old Aug 11th 2017, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Neil_blocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Evening y'all - marriage visa to USA

First day on site, been educated by admin.
So my history, born in UK on US Base have US passport and social security and engaged with a child. My father grandparents live in the US. Am I likely to encounter problems moving my household to south carolina? I've applied for a management role there and is progressing, what are your experiences of relocation package's and what would ones first jobs be to sort out
Old Aug 11th 2017, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Evening y'all

Welcome! Have you been filing US taxes? If not, you probably want to take a look at that first.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike
Welcome! Have you been filing US taxes? If not, you probably want to take a look at that first.
I've never filed any tax details didn't know I had to-this is going to be an education I suspect
Old Aug 11th 2017, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil_blocker
Am I likely to encounter problems moving my household to south carolina?
Your fiancée and child will need immigrant visas in order to move to the US. If your child is under 18, s/he will become a US citizen the moment s/he clears immigration. Your fiancée will become a US permanent resident (= green card) the moment she clears immigration. The visa process will take about 6 months.

Ian
Old Aug 11th 2017, 8:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Your fiancée and child will need immigrant visas in order to move to the US. If your child is under 18, s/he will become a US citizen the moment s/he clears immigration. Your fiancée will become a US permanent resident (= green card) the moment she clears immigration. The visa process will take about 6 months.
If his fiancée arrives in the US on a fiancée visa they will be required to get married within 90 days, then they'll have another round of paperwork, with more fees of course, for her to adjust status. All of this will likely mean 3-6 months after arriving in the US during which time she will practically or actually be unable to work.

All things considered, getting married soon, pre-immigration, and applying for a spouse (CR-1) visa is easier, cheaper, beginning to end (obtaining PR status) quicker, and his wife will be able to work immediately she clears immigration, literally right there in the airport of she had a job to go to.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 11th 2017 at 9:01 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I've never filed any tax details didn't know I had to-this is going to be an education I suspect
You will need to file at least the last three years' tax returns to be able to sponsor your family, but be reassured it is very unlikely you'll actually owe any tax to the US. There is an article in this site's wiki about how to do so.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If he is the biological father of the child, is the child not a US citizen since the father is a US citizen?

If so, the child would not need a visa.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 9:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If he is the biological father of the child, is the child not a US citizen since the father is a US citizen?

If so, the child would not need a visa.
It's a "by descent" thing - the child's father was born in the UK, to (at least) one US citizen parent, but appears to have never lived in the US, therefore doesn't meet the "five years residence" test to be able to pass on US citizenship to his children.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dcf sounds a much better bet.
Old Aug 11th 2017, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's a "by descent" thing - the child's father was born in the UK, to (at least) one US citizen parent, but appears to have never lived in the US, therefore doesn't meet the "five years residence" test to be able to pass on US citizenship to his children.
Aaah, yes....... forgot about the residency requirement. duh ....
Old Aug 12th 2017, 1:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Evening y'all - marriage visa to USA

First day on site, been educated by admin.
So my history, born in UK on US Base have US passport and social security and engaged with a child. My father grandparents live in the US. Am I likely to encounter problems moving my household to south carolina? I've applied for a management role there and is progressing, what are your experiences of relocation package's and what would ones first jobs be to sort out
You should not have any problem moving your household to the USA, provided you file for the correct visa(s) for your family.

Rene
Old Aug 12th 2017, 2:09 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Where did it say the fiancee was not a a USC?
Old Aug 12th 2017, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by RICH
Where did it say the fiancee was not a a USC?
He has two open threads, and it is clear by inference. .... He specifies that he is a USC, and that he lives in the UK and has a "partner" and child. Given how specific he is, it would be peculiar for him to omit material facts about his family.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 4:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Sorry, what I didn't put was I was born on USAF Base, lived in the US for 3 years as a child and then a couple of years as a teenager. Does that change anything?
Old Aug 12th 2017, 6:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you lived in the USA for 5 years, 2 of which were over the age of 14, then you can pass your citizenship to your child.

Your child would then need a US passport to enter the USA.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.