British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   entering legally turn out illegal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/entering-legally-turn-out-illegal-209221/)

syedraza70 Feb 10th 2004 3:40 pm

entering legally turn out illegal

Hi,
I am presenting my friends problem, any comments would be appreciated.
My friend (F-1 student from Bulgaria) went to her country last semester to visit her family. She came back in Jan this year. At the immigration they looked at her passport and every thing was alright and they let her go. Now this month she went to UCIS Application Support center to renew her SSN they surprise her by saying "you are under arrest due to unlawfully admission to United states. And they told her cuz she don’t have I-94 and stuff. After that they released her cuz her father called Bulgarian embassy in DC and they bailed her out but now she got a letter from UCIS that she will be notified of hearing soon and she can have a lawyer or she can take volunteer departure. Now she is confused cuz at the border the inspection officer did not gave her new I-94 and she was cool cuz they let her enter so she didn’t pay attention that if there is something wrong. She went to the lawyer and they ask for 3000-4000$ which she can’t afford.

Any comments or suggestions?

LucyMO Feb 10th 2004 11:17 pm

Re: entering legally turn out illegal

here is my comment: there is no such thing as renewing someone's SSN.

And $3000-4000 for a lawyer is a reasonable price.

They should have also stamped her passport at the airport.

Thewanderer Feb 11th 2004 1:22 am

"LucyMO" <member20158@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > here is my comment: there is no such thing as renewing someone's SSN.
    > And $3000-4000 for a lawyer is a reasonable price.
    > They should have
    > also stamped her passport at the airport.

There is no "stamp" on the passport at the airport for F1 visa.
The immigration person sees the F1 (and Form I-20) and given a entry record
form I-94 (with entry date annotated) stapled to the visa page. On the way
out the paper is removed at the airport and exit date is indicated on it.

This person cannot not be that ignorant to not notice. The school needs a
copy of that when they first go to the school. Even if they leave and return
they want a new copy. They mention how important it is.

Another thing is a person does not go to the UCIS for a social security
card.

Maybe they are consfused.
This person should at least have an I-20 signed by the school repesentative.

> --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

syedraza70 Feb 11th 2004 1:52 am

Originally posted by LucyMO
here is my comment: there is no such thing as renewing someone's SSN.

i ask her about renewing SSN she said it was stolen so she went there to get the letter for new SSN, here in Beckley WV if you are on F-1 and want to have ssn, the ssn office require 2 things one is letter from school and second letter from ASC in charleston.

Thewanderer Feb 11th 2004 3:04 am

"syedraza70" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by LucyMO
    > > here is my comment: there
    > is no such thing as renewing someone's SSN.
    > >
    > i ask her
    > about renewing SSN she said it was stolen so she went there to get the
    > letter for new SSN, here in Beckley WV if you are on F-1 and want to
    > have ssn, the ssn office require 2 things one is letter from school and
    > second letter from ASC in charleston.

She only needs letter from school.
Even to replace stolen she only needs letter from school.

> --
    > razababa
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

syedraza70 Feb 11th 2004 4:08 am

hi all, i told her to wrote the whole thing so it make some sense. following is all what she wrote.

On January 16th ( Friday) someone broke into my place. One of the stolen things was my social security card. I went to the social security office in Beckley, carrying with me my international passport,I-20, I-94 form. After they looked at my papers and entered my data, a secondary verification request showed up on the screen. Then the person who was helping me told me that the admission numbers on my I-20 and my passport didn’t match plus the new admission number from my last entry to the country ( December 12, 2003). He advised me to go to INS in Charleston so they can decide which of the admission numbers they were going to use and hence to get a new social security card with my old number.

January 23 (Friday ) , I went to INS in Charleston with my friends. I went over there and showed my papers ( passport,I-20, I-94) to a lady explaining her that my SSN is stolen and the social security office in Beckley sent me to INS. As soon as she looked at my papers she asked me why I didn’t have any stamps on my passport, I-20 and I-94 form, then she said that I had to leave the country because I was illegal. She took my papers and she was gone more that one hour. Two gentlemen showed up after some time and asked me to follow them. One of the is a special agent ( Edwin De Quires ) who told me that I was under arrest. I started to cry because I was very upset and honestly I didn’t expect to hear something like that. I asked him why. He said that I violated the rules of INS and that I hadn’t been admitted properly to the country. Practically, they don’t have any records of me entering the United States. I took a semester off and I went home. I was out of the country between September 9 and December 12.

On December 12th I arrived on Newark airport, New Jersey. There was almost one hour delay of the overseas flight ( OK 0052 , Czech Airlines, coming from Prague ). Because of the flight I was very tired as it took around ten hours. I knew I had almost no time to catch the other plane, besides I didn’t want to stay all night long until the next day to get on another plane, so that’s why I was in a big hurry. I remember it took me like twenty minutes to get my luggage , meanwhile there was a lady who was asking all the passengers if there were any for connecting flights, she was just helping people and pointing them to the right way. Then she showed me where to go for the Immigration check. I prepared my passport, I-20,I- 94, the letter from the school saying why I went home and my boarding pass. As I went through the immigration, I gave the gentleman all the documents listed above. I remember it didn’t take him a long time looking at my papers. After a very while he gave them back to me as giving me a plastic folder as well saying that I can put them inside so I won` t lose any of the papers. Then he said that I could go pointing me to the EXIT. I was a little surprised that the check through the Immigration took such a short time but I assumed that if he let me go that meant that everything was fine. I didn’t even bother checking my papers because an authority representative had already seen them and I thought that there was no problem, so I just went through the EXIT heading to the place where I left my luggage and then to the gates. I had another two connecting flights from Newark until I reached my final destination which was Charleston, WV. I had a connecting flight from Newark to Cincinnati. I was very afraid that I would miss the plane because there was almost no time. I was actually the last person who got on the plane in the last couple of minutes before it departured. It took me also some time when I went for the hand luggage check which was before I headed to the gates. I was already in the system that there was something wrong but nobody stopped me on the airports.

When INS arrested me , I asked if I explain what happened. I was tired of the flight, I was in a hurry, I was worried that I was going to miss the plane. According to INS I just walked away and I didn’t show up for a secondary verification as I was told to do so. But actually I didn’t hear him ( the person from the Immigration) telling me to go for a secondary verification. All I heard was that I could go. Then as I didn’t show up, they put me in the system as a person who they were looking for. I can`t imagine that they will tell me to go to the Immigration for a secondary verification and I will just walk away. Then I will get myself into trouble, I will “ do my best� to lose my student visa, then I will go to INS and practically tell them to send me in jail. It doesn’t make sense to me at all.

If I didn’t have my social security card stolen, I would never go to the social security office and then to INS and I would never be aware that there was such a huge problem until the time I decide to go home and get the problem on the airport. So when I went to the social security office in Beckley, the person who was helping me looked at my admission numbers on the I-20 and my passport. Then I realized that there was a mistake. The admission number from my previous entry is 27*********. I arrived on JFK airport January 10. 2003. The immigration representative who was checking my papers wrote the admission number on my I- 20, then she wrote it one more time above my student visa. As far as I know, the university issued new

I-20s in the summer 2003 because all the universities ,colleges and INS were going to share the same data and information and in that way they could keep a good track of every international student in the United States. But when my I- 20 was reissued, the person who entered my data made a mistake typing a wrong admission number which appears to be 07********* now. So this is what I think happened.

I arrived on Newark airport, showed my papers, the immigration saw different admission numbers on my old and new I-20s and that’s why they probably asked me to go for a secondary verification which I obviously didn’t hear. That’s why he didn’t stamp my I-20, my passport and my new I-94 form as he was expecting that on the secondary verification they would make it clear why my admission numbers don’t match as they are supposed to be the same. Besides, when he told me that I could go, I assumed that everything was fine and that there wouldn’t be any problem.

The special agent from INS in Charleston told me that I had to go to register with INS every first Wednesday each month until the hearing . I am illegal right now and I was threatened by INS that I might go to jail and I will go to jail if I don’t show up for the registration for some reason but i` ll do my best to be there always on time.

I tried to explain the coordinator of the international students what happened. I tried to explain that a part of the problem and the whole situation is because of the wrong admission numbers on my I-20 which the university issued me. exception of Mr. Edwin De Quires ( the special agent) told me that I was listed as a wanted person in the Immigration system. Since every university shares the same data and information with INS, Mountain State University is supposed to know that I have such a problem. It` s their responsibility to inform the students about this kind of matters. I was not even aware of the fact that I had to give my fingerprints on the airport plus a picture of me. That rule was only for particular countries and Bulgaria was not one of them. This rule has been dropped and now every international who enters the country has to follow this procedure. I just learned that last week. Even when I came back from home I asked if I have to go to INS and register that I came back. I was told that it was fine and I didn’t need to do that.

I am just a student and it is not my job to know the regulations of INS. That’s why every university has a coordinator and a bunch of other people responsible for making sure that we , the internationals, are aware of what we have to do. I enrolled for the spring semester and there was no problem. I think I made a mistake by not getting so much suspicious regarding the Immigration check. I should have asked why they let me go so easily. Obviously, they didn’t let me go but that’s how the misunderstanding happened. But I also think I am not responsible for someone`s negligence and it is not fair to pay because of someone.

Right now I am illegal, I might lose my student visa or get deported just because someone made a mistake issuing my I-20 and then not letting me know what i`m supposed to do. I was out of the country and for three months things have changed. That’s why every institution has an international department so they can help the international students being comfortable with the rules of the country and not getting them into troubles. That’s not the first time things like this happened.

I have entered the country three times and the previous two I had no problem. I have everything that is needed to be admitted but right now as I have nothing stamped, the misunderstanding is going to cost me a lot. Besides, as I mentioned in the beginning there was a burglary in my place, I had some of my most important documents stolen plus all of my money and I would never violate any rule because I just came here to study and to get a good education not to go to jail.

supernav Feb 11th 2004 7:17 am

Problem is..

"you entered without inspection".

Everything else is mute. I don't understand --- apparently her command of the english language is pretty good -- but she couldn't understand a simple command to go to secondary?

So in essence -- you had no stamp in your i-94, i-20 or passport. Meaning no "admission was granted" by anyone. Nor was it in the computer (the computer probably said "sent to secondary", and then no comments afterwards -- meaning you never went).

But at least she's lucky and wasn't detained for a long time. I'm sure a judge will see it was an innocent mistake and not some attempt to enter illegally. But she'll be scolded for the future to pay attention to what people say. If foreigners with little understand of english can head to secondary - no idea why she coudln't do the same thing.

either way -- get a lawyer. I don't know realy how student visas work, etc.

-= nav =-

CanExPat Feb 11th 2004 8:19 am

Everytime I've had to go to secondary inspection, the inspector had always taken my documents and walked me over to the secondary office area.

Isn't this the norm at inspection sites? If it is, then there is no mistaking it.

Joachim Feise Feb 11th 2004 3:33 pm

CanExPat said on 2/11/2004 1:19:

> Everytime I've had to go to secondary inspection, the inspector had
    > always taken my documents and walked me over to the secondary office
    > area.
    >
    > Isn't this the norm at inspection sites? If it is, then there is
    > no mistaking it.

No, they often say, "go over there to the inspection office."

-Joe

crg Feb 12th 2004 4:59 pm

Originally posted by syedraza70
hi all, i told her to wrote the whole thing so it make some sense. following is all what she wrote.

On January 16th ( Friday) someone broke into my place. One of the stolen things was my social security card. I went to the social security office in Beckley, carrying with me my international passport,I-20, I-94 form. After they looked at my papers and entered my data, a secondary verification request showed up on the screen. Then the person who was helping me told me that the admission numbers on my I-20 and my passport didn’t match plus the new admission number from my last entry to the country ( December 12, 2003). He advised me to go to INS in Charleston so they can decide which of the admission numbers they were going to use and hence to get a new social security card with my old number.

January 23 (Friday ) , I went to INS in Charleston with my friends. I went over there and showed my papers ( passport,I-20, I-94) to a lady explaining her that my SSN is stolen and the social security office in Beckley sent me to INS. As soon as she looked at my papers she asked me why I didn’t have any stamps on my passport, I-20 and I-94 form, then she said that I had to leave the country because I was illegal. She took my papers and she was gone more that one hour. Two gentlemen showed up after some time and asked me to follow them. One of the is a special agent ( Edwin De Quires ) who told me that I was under arrest. I started to cry because I was very upset and honestly I didn’t expect to hear something like that. I asked him why. He said that I violated the rules of INS and that I hadn’t been admitted properly to the country. Practically, they don’t have any records of me entering the United States. I took a semester off and I went home. I was out of the country between September 9 and December 12.

On December 12th I arrived on Newark airport, New Jersey. There was almost one hour delay of the overseas flight ( OK 0052 , Czech Airlines, coming from Prague ). Because of the flight I was very tired as it took around ten hours. I knew I had almost no time to catch the other plane, besides I didn’t want to stay all night long until the next day to get on another plane, so that’s why I was in a big hurry. I remember it took me like twenty minutes to get my luggage , meanwhile there was a lady who was asking all the passengers if there were any for connecting flights, she was just helping people and pointing them to the right way. Then she showed me where to go for the Immigration check. I prepared my passport, I-20,I- 94, the letter from the school saying why I went home and my boarding pass. As I went through the immigration, I gave the gentleman all the documents listed above. I remember it didn’t take him a long time looking at my papers. After a very while he gave them back to me as giving me a plastic folder as well saying that I can put them inside so I won` t lose any of the papers. Then he said that I could go pointing me to the EXIT. I was a little surprised that the check through the Immigration took such a short time but I assumed that if he let me go that meant that everything was fine. I didn’t even bother checking my papers because an authority representative had already seen them and I thought that there was no problem, so I just went through the EXIT heading to the place where I left my luggage and then to the gates. I had another two connecting flights from Newark until I reached my final destination which was Charleston, WV. I had a connecting flight from Newark to Cincinnati. I was very afraid that I would miss the plane because there was almost no time. I was actually the last person who got on the plane in the last couple of minutes before it departured. It took me also some time when I went for the hand luggage check which was before I headed to the gates. I was already in the system that there was something wrong but nobody stopped me on the airports.

When INS arrested me , I asked if I explain what happened. I was tired of the flight, I was in a hurry, I was worried that I was going to miss the plane. According to INS I just walked away and I didn’t show up for a secondary verification as I was told to do so. But actually I didn’t hear him ( the person from the Immigration) telling me to go for a secondary verification. All I heard was that I could go. Then as I didn’t show up, they put me in the system as a person who they were looking for. I can`t imagine that they will tell me to go to the Immigration for a secondary verification and I will just walk away. Then I will get myself into trouble, I will “ do my best� to lose my student visa, then I will go to INS and practically tell them to send me in jail. It doesn’t make sense to me at all.

If I didn’t have my social security card stolen, I would never go to the social security office and then to INS and I would never be aware that there was such a huge problem until the time I decide to go home and get the problem on the airport. So when I went to the social security office in Beckley, the person who was helping me looked at my admission numbers on the I-20 and my passport. Then I realized that there was a mistake. The admission number from my previous entry is 27*********. I arrived on JFK airport January 10. 2003. The immigration representative who was checking my papers wrote the admission number on my I- 20, then she wrote it one more time above my student visa. As far as I know, the university issued new

I-20s in the summer 2003 because all the universities ,colleges and INS were going to share the same data and information and in that way they could keep a good track of every international student in the United States. But when my I- 20 was reissued, the person who entered my data made a mistake typing a wrong admission number which appears to be 07********* now. So this is what I think happened.

I arrived on Newark airport, showed my papers, the immigration saw different admission numbers on my old and new I-20s and that’s why they probably asked me to go for a secondary verification which I obviously didn’t hear. That’s why he didn’t stamp my I-20, my passport and my new I-94 form as he was expecting that on the secondary verification they would make it clear why my admission numbers don’t match as they are supposed to be the same. Besides, when he told me that I could go, I assumed that everything was fine and that there wouldn’t be any problem.

The special agent from INS in Charleston told me that I had to go to register with INS every first Wednesday each month until the hearing . I am illegal right now and I was threatened by INS that I might go to jail and I will go to jail if I don’t show up for the registration for some reason but i` ll do my best to be there always on time.

I tried to explain the coordinator of the international students what happened. I tried to explain that a part of the problem and the whole situation is because of the wrong admission numbers on my I-20 which the university issued me. exception of Mr. Edwin De Quires ( the special agent) told me that I was listed as a wanted person in the Immigration system. Since every university shares the same data and information with INS, Mountain State University is supposed to know that I have such a problem. It` s their responsibility to inform the students about this kind of matters. I was not even aware of the fact that I had to give my fingerprints on the airport plus a picture of me. That rule was only for particular countries and Bulgaria was not one of them. This rule has been dropped and now every international who enters the country has to follow this procedure. I just learned that last week. Even when I came back from home I asked if I have to go to INS and register that I came back. I was told that it was fine and I didn’t need to do that.

I am just a student and it is not my job to know the regulations of INS. That’s why every university has a coordinator and a bunch of other people responsible for making sure that we , the internationals, are aware of what we have to do. I enrolled for the spring semester and there was no problem. I think I made a mistake by not getting so much suspicious regarding the Immigration check. I should have asked why they let me go so easily. Obviously, they didn’t let me go but that’s how the misunderstanding happened. But I also think I am not responsible for someone`s negligence and it is not fair to pay because of someone.

Right now I am illegal, I might lose my student visa or get deported just because someone made a mistake issuing my I-20 and then not letting me know what i`m supposed to do. I was out of the country and for three months things have changed. That’s why every institution has an international department so they can help the international students being comfortable with the rules of the country and not getting them into troubles. That’s not the first time things like this happened.

I have entered the country three times and the previous two I had no problem. I have everything that is needed to be admitted but right now as I have nothing stamped, the misunderstanding is going to cost me a lot. Besides, as I mentioned in the beginning there was a burglary in my place, I had some of my most important documents stolen plus all of my money and I would never violate any rule because I just came here to study and to get a good education not to go to jail.
When they put your documents in the folder, that means you have to report to secondary inspection. They don't hand out free folders. Did you have a break in attending school on a previous trip and not depart within 60 days? If violated a previous admission, then your visa would have been voided. There must be more to this case. If it was simply a stamping problem, they would have probably helped you fix it.

LucyMO Feb 12th 2004 11:45 pm

a person on F-1 coming back within 5 months to the same school or a different school will have the same admission number. I have gone out of the country and back 4 times in 9 years, and every time the printed number on I-94 was crossed out and the same number from my first I-94 (which was written down in my passport by the officer) was written in by hand every time I crossed the border.
I do have stamps on the last pages of my passports indicating the date and the port of entry and departure.
I am an F-1 student.
Get someone from your International Office to help you and get a lawyer.

crg Feb 13th 2004 4:30 am

Originally posted by LucyMO
a person on F-1 coming back within 5 months to the same school or a different school will have the same admission number. I have gone out of the country and back 4 times in 9 years, and every time the printed number on I-94 was crossed out and the same number from my first I-94 (which was written down in my passport by the officer) was written in by hand every time I crossed the border.
I do have stamps on the last pages of my passports indicating the date and the port of entry and departure.
I am an F-1 student.
Get someone from your International Office to help you and get a lawyer.
They stopped reusing the same admission number last summer.

Amanda Feb 16th 2004 3:44 am

syedraza70 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    > I am presenting my friends problem, any comments would be
    > appreciated.
    > My friend (F-1 student from Bulgaria) went to her country
    > last semester to visit her family. She came back in Jan this year. At
    > the immigration they looked at her passport and every thing was alright
    > and they let her go. Now this month she went to UCIS Application Support
    > center to renew her SSN they surprise her by saying "you are under
    > arrest due to unlawfully admission to United states. And they told her
    > cuz she don?t have I-94 and stuff. After that they released her cuz her
    > father called Bulgarian embassy in DC and they bailed her out but now
    > she got a letter from UCIS that she will be notified of hearing soon and
    > she can have a lawyer or she can take volunteer departure. Now she is
    > confused cuz at the border the inspection officer did not gave her new
    > I-94 and she was cool cuz they let her enter so she didn?t pay attention
    > that if there is something wrong. She went to the lawyer and they ask
    > for 3000-4000$ which she can?t afford.
    >
    > Any comments or suggestions?

Every person is given I-94 form when the plane is about to enter US.
In case of the student, she is supposed to overwrite the number form
the new I-94 and write the old number of I-94 which she had given away
at the immigration when she left US.

If she was on F-1, why would she need to reapply for SSN if she
already ahd one. Did her SSN have expiration date?