Wikiposts

England to US

Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

etemilytaylor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default England to US

Hello All-
I am engaged to a British citizen and once we get married he will move to the US. I have no idea where to start. I have heard conflicting information about whether we should apply for and engagement visa or just wait until we are officially married. Wedding date is Feb 2014. All information will be helpful!
Thank you.

Last edited by etemilytaylor; Apr 1st 2013 at 2:08 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:07 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: England to US

Originally Posted by etemilytaylor
Hello All-
I am engaged to a British citizen and once we get married he will move here. I have no idea where to start. I have heard conflicting information about whether we should apply for and engagement visa or just wait until we are officially married. Wedding date is Feb 2014. All information will be helpful!
Thank you.
US Citizen can apply for a special visa to allow a non-citizen (their fiancée) to enter the country in order to get married to a US citizen inside the US.

Once issued, the K1 visa will allow the non-citizen to enter the United States legally, for 90 days in order for the marriage ceremony to take place. Once you marry, the non-citizen can remain in the US and may apply for permanent residence. While USCIS processes the application, the non-citizen can remain in the US legally
The US citizen income must meet the require minimum to fulfill the affidavit of support
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:10 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
US Citizen can apply for a special visa to allow a non-citizen (their fiancée) to enter the country in order to get married to a US citizen inside the US.

Once issued, the K1 visa will allow the non-citizen to enter the United States legally, for 90 days in order for the marriage ceremony to take place. Once you marry, the non-citizen can remain in the US and may apply for permanent residence. While USCIS processes the application, the non-citizen can remain in the US legally
The US citizen income must meet the require minimum to fulfill the affidavit of support
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585898

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=729015
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Would he be able to work legally on a green card status or does he have to wait for a citizenship?
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:19 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE. Lots of people here have married Brits and emmigrated to or from US. I will assume you are a US citizen?

You stated he will move to US AFTER you are married, so that rules out a K1 fiance visa. However if you are marrying in UK YOU will need a visa I believe.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:23 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Would he be able to work legally on a green card status or does he have to wait for a citizenship?
Once a green card has been issued he can work. He could also work with an EAD
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:23 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

If he has a green card he can legally work. But he won't have a green card based on what you have said.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Arriving in the US without the "protection" of a fiance visa and attempting to adjust status to a "permanent resident" is ill-advised, and especially so if you have a wedding date set because it will be challenging to argue that the wedding was "unexpected". If you marry without a fiance visa, your husband would/ should leave the US and apply for a marriage visa from his home country, which is currently reported on BE to be taking 6-8 months. Conversely he will be able to stay after marrying on a fiance visa, and adjust status soon afterwards.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
.....You stated he will move to US AFTER you are married, so that rules out a K1 fiance visa. However if you are marrying in UK YOU will need a visa I believe.
Agreed. The choices are (i) move to the US on a fiance visa, stay and adjust status, or (ii) marry on a VWP visit, leave, apply for a marriage visa and immigrate 6-8 months later.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your help. Sounds like we need to apply for that Fiancé visa as soon as possible. Glad I found this site!
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Does anyone know once we are married how long it takes to be issued a GC?
Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:54 pm
Are we there yet?

Lets start at the beginning. I'm sure that someone else will come along later and correct any mistakes I make with the terminology. Don't write it off as pedantic, the terminology is very important.

If you are not yet married, you can apply for a finance visa, once that is granted, he can travel to the USA on that, you must get married within 90 days, and then he can adjust status to gain permanent residency (green card) (filing I130) - because your marriage will be less than 2 years, it will be a conditional green card. at the same time he can apply for and EAD (I-765, Application for Employment Authorization)

This process can take ??????????? months. it can be any length of time, but on average, expect between 6 - 8 mths for the green card. approx 3 mths for the work authorization.

Alternatively, you can get married (if he travels to the US, you can get married in the US with no special entry requirements, BUT HE MUST RETURN TO THE UK AFTER THE WEDDING). Once you're married he will then return to the UK and you file the I130 & I765 and once granted he can enter the country with a green card.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

It depends. If you are married first (could be while he is visiting you in the US or anywhere else) and your husband returns to the UK to wait for his visa (CR-1 visa), as soon as he enters the US on the visa he is a legal permanent resident (I-551 stamp in the passport which is the green card until the physical green card arrives) and he can work immediately.

If he enters the US on a fiancé visa (K-1 visa) and then gets married, there is an adjustment of status process following the marriage to go through before the green card is issued. He can apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) at the same time and that usually takes 60-90 days and then he can work. It may take up to a year for him to get the green card. It could be anywhere between 60 days to 6 months before he would be allowed to work depending on how fast you get married after he enters the US and files for an EAD.

Because of the different processes and the immigrant may want to work as soon as he enters the US on his visa, some have a small civil wedding while visiting and then after he enters on the visa, they have an large ceremony.

Last edited by Michael; Apr 1st 2013 at 3:11 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 4:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Alternatively, you can get married (if he travels to the US, you can get married in the US with no special entry requirements, BUT HE MUST RETURN TO THE UK AFTER THE WEDDING). Once you're married he will then return to the UK and you file the I130 & I765 and once granted he can enter the country with a green card.
In the above scenario, only an I-130 is filed to start the immigrant visa process (plus whatever supporting documents/evidence required). There is no I-765 because he will become a US PR upon entry to the USA, which allows him to work from Day 1 in the USA. No EAD needed.

Rene
Old Apr 1st 2013, 4:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you talking about the K-1 process or the Immigrant Visa process? It makes a difference.

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.