Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

engagment/marriage to my american girlfriend.

Wikiposts

engagment/marriage to my american girlfriend.

Old May 30th 2008, 4:47 am
Just Joined

bss321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: engagment/marriage to my american girlfriend.

Originally Posted by Ray
Take the Lawyers confidential advice ..and act on it ..
yeah that's what I'm gonna do. thought I'd get a lot of bad comments on here but just thought I'd throw it all out there. cheers for ur help.
Old May 30th 2008, 4:47 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bss321
sorry mate but have got an excellent job out here and earn a fortune so would rather just stay here. good luck wi your spouse visa.
Much as I'd love to get into a bitchfest with this one, I'm not going to, but -

No matter how much you earn, you are there under false pretences - you LIED to get there, so once the visa you are on runs out you are always going to be looking over your shoulder - no amount of money is worth that.

Some of us do it properly, legally, all above board, and we are the ones that sleep well at night.

As many have stated, you have come on a public message board and declared yourself to the world. You havnt paid taxes, you lied to get into the states, and you apparantly have a violent history. Dont look too good does it? I hope your lawyer is a good one, and you are paying him well - you can afford it after all
Old May 30th 2008, 4:49 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

sorry mate but have got an excellent job out here and earn a fortune so would rather just stay here.
Well, sure -- if I didn't pay any taxes I'd have a lot more income, too.

You just don't get it, do you?

~ Jenney

p.s. There's a difference between the words "no" and "know".
Old May 30th 2008, 5:03 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

sorry mate but have got an excellent job out here and earn a fortune so would rather just stay here. good luck wi your spouse visa.
Well unfortunately for you, it's not down to what you'd rather do. It's what the law says you can do, and what the authorities will make you do
Old May 30th 2008, 5:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Well, sure -- if I didn't pay any taxes I'd have a lot more income, too.

You just don't get it, do you?

~ Jenney

p.s. There's a difference between the words "no" and "know".
yeah I do get it u know! sorry if my grammar isn't up to scratch for you. plus lawyer I spoke to today seems to think I can get thru this so i'd rather take his opinion than yours!!!!

you get me???
Old May 30th 2008, 5:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by clarissageo
Much as I'd love to get into a bitchfest with this one, I'm not going to, but -

No matter how much you earn, you are there under false pretences - you LIED to get there, so once the visa you are on runs out you are always going to be looking over your shoulder - no amount of money is worth that.

Some of us do it properly, legally, all above board, and we are the ones that sleep well at night.

As many have stated, you have come on a public message board and declared yourself to the world. You havnt paid taxes, you lied to get into the states, and you apparantly have a violent history. Dont look too good does it? I hope your lawyer is a good one, and you are paying him well - you can afford it after all
yeah I know it doesn't look good and in hindsight I shouldn't have done it, but only planned on being here a year until I met my girlfriend. if I can't stay its her I'm worried about hurting although i'll also be hurt. sorry if I was abrupt earlier but its all just turning into a nightmare for me. gotta appointment wi lawyer next week so just gonna have to wait and see what he thinks my options are.
Old May 30th 2008, 6:38 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

its all just turning into a nightmare for me. gotta appointment wi lawyer next week so just gonna have to wait and see what he thinks my options are.
Do be aware that there are lawyers (not all of them) who will be happy to tell you you have a chance, that it's only right around the corner, and that they will be happy to represent you.
We read stories here every week from someone convinced that everything was OK because a lawyer told them so, only to find out that there is no exit. Do double and triple check the opinions you get.

Whatever you do, lay it ALL on the table for the attorney. Do not try to be clever and think you can manage the situation by holding something back; that rarely works out well.

You may want to visit the forums at www.immigrate2us.net for more info on the consequences of your various problems.

Hi, i heard this was a good place to get information, so here's my situation.......

I'm a U.K citizen currently in the U.S.A. I came here on a B-1 visa entering the country by saying i was here on business. I am actually working for a company and have been getting paid here in the U.S instead of back home as my visa states i should, without paying taxes. When i was interviewed at the U.S embassy in London to obtain B-1, i said no to the question where it asks if you've ever been convicted of a crime. I have a drink driving conviction, 2 assault convictions, and 2 breach of the peace convictions. Since i came to the U.S i've also been convicted of misdemeanour assault and spent 20 days in the county jail 7 months ago. I've since met my girlfriend and things are now very serious between us. We've spoke about engagement and marriage and i spoke to an immigration lawyer about it on the phone today and he basically said i would probably never get residency even if we did get married because of my past. Can this be true?? As i'm meant to go home at the end of next month to renew my B-1 visa i'm now very wary about leaving the country. Should i risk going out of status?? I've been here for a year, got stamped in for 6 months and applied for a 6 months extension which was granted to me. My girlfriend has no convictions, an excellent job and no hardship so lawyer also told me they would just say to her if she wanted to be with me that much she'd have to come to U.K. I'm 25 and she's 28. Sorry if it was a little long winded but thought i'd just throw it all out there. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old May 30th 2008, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Do be aware that there are lawyers (not all of them) who will be happy to tell you you have a chance, that it's only right around the corner, and that they will be happy to represent you.
We read stories here every week from someone convinced that everything was OK because a lawyer told them so, only to find out that there is no exit. Do double and triple check the opinions you get.

Whatever you do, lay it ALL on the table for the attorney. Do not try to be clever and think you can manage the situation by holding something back; that rarely works out well.

You may want to visit the forums at www.immigrate2us.net for more info on the consequences of your various problems.
yeah my girlfriends very suspicious of lawyers also so we're just going to see what he thinks then check everything out after that. I no I've made bad decisions in the past but I can't turn back the clock unfortunately. thanks for that info cause this is really stressing me out and I need as much help as possible. thanks again.
Old May 30th 2008, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

You may make a fortune, tax free I may add, but your spelling and grammar leave much to be desired for a native English speaker. Afterall, this is a message board where you're characters aren't limited, not an SMS you are sending. That just appears to be sheer laziness on your part.

As others have said, you're in for a bumpy ride. It's one thing to have a violent past as many make mistakes, but it's quite another when you have a violent past are evading taxes and lied to USCIS. It's well documented that USCIS does not take kindly to being lied to - they can and do strip naturalized citizens of their citizenship and deport them for lying. Not trying to be all doom and gloom, but you should realize there are some rather nasty repurcussions for what you've done.

The real kicker here is, you don't seem to be sorry at all that you lied. You come across as the type that expects to be handed the keys to entry into the US, without having to pay the consequences for your actions. You're showing no remorse for your actions, and that makes me wonder what type of person you are.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; May 30th 2008 at 7:41 am.
Old May 30th 2008, 7:50 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

yeah my girlfriends very suspicious of lawyers also so we're just going to see what he thinks then check everything out after that. I no I've made bad decisions in the past but I can't turn back the clock unfortunately. thanks for that info cause this is really stressing me out and I need as much help as possible. thanks again.
FTR, I am not suspicious of lawyers in general, but people have reported problems in cases like yours that are unusual and involve specialty areas of immigration law. There are several lawyers at i2us that have made waivers and cases like this a specialty.
Choose carefully.

While you can't turn back the clock, you must be prepared to deal with the consequences of what you have already done; you can't magic it away.
Old May 30th 2008, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
FTR, I am not suspicious of lawyers in general, but people have reported problems in cases like yours that are unusual and involve specialty areas of immigration law. There are several lawyers at i2us that have made waivers and cases like this a specialty.
Choose carefully.

While you can't turn back the clock, you must be prepared to deal with the consequences of what you have already done; you can't magic it away.
yeah sorry about that never meant to make it sound like you were suspicious of lawyers also. I am prepared to face the consequences of my actions whatever they may be. I'm also very remorseful of my past, who wouldn't be, regardless of what some people might think. I came on here for advice, not character assasinations. just want to say thanks again to you, you've been a great help.
Old May 30th 2008, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

olliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud of

lawyer I spoke to today seems to think I can get thru this
Lawyer you spoke to also might be listening to what you're saying and thinking dollar signs.

You asked for advice of the people on this board, and they're giving it to you. It won't always be pretty unfortunately.
Old May 31st 2008, 7:07 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I am prepared to face the consequences of my actions whatever they may be. I'm also very remorseful of my past, who wouldn't be, regardless of what some people might think.
What about, "sorry mate but have got an excellent job out here and earn a fortune so would rather just stay here"?? Doesn't sound like someone who's willing to face the consequences of lying to the US government, much less remorseful for lying in order to get that "excellent job" and "earn a fortune". You certainly aren't remorseful about not paying taxes on your "fortune". I doubt you feel sorry for putting your employer in a position where they could face fines and other problems for hiring someone without proper work authorization.

Sorry, but I just don't buy it. I honestly think you'd be doing yourself a favor by just going back home and taking the steps to bring your girlfriend with you. If the average person on the street doesn't really feel much sympathy for your situation, imagine how USCIS is going to take it. That may not be what you want to hear, but it's advice nonetheless.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 1st 2008, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

azulniew is an unknown quantity at this point

"and earn a fortune"

I have to ask - what do you do?