Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

engagment/marriage to my american girlfriend.

Wikiposts

engagment/marriage to my american girlfriend.

Old May 29th 2008, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

bss321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default engagment/marriage to my american girlfriend.

Hi, i heard this was a good place to get information, so here's my situation.......

I'm a U.K citizen currently in the U.S.A. I came here on a B-1 visa entering the country by saying i was here on business. I am actually working for a company and have been getting paid here in the U.S instead of back home as my visa states i should, without paying taxes. When i was interviewed at the U.S embassy in London to obtain B-1, i said no to the question where it asks if you've ever been convicted of a crime. I have a drink driving conviction, 2 assault convictions, and 2 breach of the peace convictions. Since i came to the U.S i've also been convicted of misdemeanour assault and spent 20 days in the county jail 7 months ago. I've since met my girlfriend and things are now very serious between us. We've spoke about engagement and marriage and i spoke to an immigration lawyer about it on the phone today and he basically said i would probably never get residency even if we did get married because of my past. Can this be true?? As i'm meant to go home at the end of next month to renew my B-1 visa i'm now very wary about leaving the country. Should i risk going out of status?? I've been here for a year, got stamped in for 6 months and applied for a 6 months extension which was granted to me. My girlfriend has no convictions, an excellent job and no hardship so lawyer also told me they would just say to her if she wanted to be with me that much she'd have to come to U.K. I'm 25 and she's 28. Sorry if it was a little long winded but thought i'd just throw it all out there. Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old May 29th 2008, 1:06 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: engagment/marriage to my american girlfriend.

Originally Posted by bss321
Any help would be so greatly appreciated.
stop taking the piss.
Old May 29th 2008, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
stop taking the piss.
honestly im being 100% serious. this is my situation.
Old May 29th 2008, 1:08 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

no-one is this daft.

obviously my first piece of advice would be to stop getting pissed and battering people.

Last edited by Manc; May 29th 2008 at 1:13 pm.
Old May 29th 2008, 1:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Start working on your GF to see how she feels about living in the UK. You'll also have most of Europe available to you.

The deal killer is probably lying at the interview to get your visa. Everything after that is frosting. Rich, thick, chewy frosting.
Old May 29th 2008, 1:32 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Rich, thick, chewy frosting.
The kind that leaves that gritty and slightly greasy feeling on your teeth.

~SecretGarden
Old May 29th 2008, 1:38 pm
@matthewb76

Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you.
www.expedia.com

www.orbitz.com

www.travelocity.com

www.cheaptickets.com

www.hotwire.com

www.priceline.com
Old May 29th 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

azulniew is an unknown quantity at this point

stop drinking
Old May 29th 2008, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL @ Manc
Old May 30th 2008, 12:18 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have a drink driving conviction, 2 assault convictions, and 2 breach of the peace convictions. Since i came to the U.S i've also been convicted of misdemeanour assault and spent 20 days in the county jail 7 months ago.
You're a real charmer! Seriously though, this is nothing by comparison to your having lied to US immigration authorities. That's the deal breaker. You committed a huge no-no when you did that. On a personal note, I'm surprised your girlfriend isn't afraid that your multiple assault convictions will one day show up on her face!

Ian
Old May 30th 2008, 1:07 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Add tax evasion .... to the list ...
I would get out of Dodge pretty quickly .....
Old May 30th 2008, 1:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You're a real charmer! Seriously though, this is nothing by comparison to your having lied to US immigration authorities. That's the deal breaker. You committed a huge no-no when you did that. On a personal note, I'm surprised your girlfriend isn't afraid that your multiple assault convictions will one day show up on her face!

Ian
yeah I understand ur point but would never hit a woman. it all happened when I was drunk, no excuse I no. I'm not as bad a person as it sounds. I've since stopped drinking spirits and only have a few light beers when I'm out. not gonna change a thing I no.
Old May 30th 2008, 1:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Add tax evasion .... to the list ...
I would get out of Dodge pretty quickly .....
what du mean get out the dodge?? leave the country?? u really think I've got absolutely no chance?? I no ppl who've came over same way as me just not with my past and got married to an american without any problems. u just think because of what I've done I'm up the creek with no paddles??
Old May 30th 2008, 1:53 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

what du mean get out the dodge?? leave the country?? u really think I've got absolutely no chance?? I no ppl who've came over same way as me just not with my past and got married to an american without any problems. u just think because of what I've done I'm up the creek with no paddles??
It better to murder people than evade tax .....in the US
Old May 30th 2008, 1:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
It better to murder people than evade tax .....in the US
lol...it was the IRS that nicked Al Capone not the FBI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.