Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Employed Or Self Employed?

Wikiposts

Employed Or Self Employed?

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 3:11 am
His princess

Default Re: Employed Or Self Employed?

USA & Pakistan <member26954@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > > My us fiance is working on the I-134 and is president/ceo of his
    > > corporation which is a dealership working with clean water systems.
    > > Not alone does he hold this title being that he owns 51% of the shares
    > > of the corporation, he also works for his corporation so is paid a
    > > wage by it.
    > >
    > > Is he considered self employed or employed?
    > >
    > > The corporation started around april/may so we arent sure which
    > > category he will fall into.
    > >
    > > Anyone got any idea?
    >
    > YES - HE IS SELF-EMPLOYED. Isnt' that the answer you were looking
    > for? Correct or not, there it is, so now you can go tell your
    > husband, the accountant, the USCIS, and the IRS, how wrong they are.
    > Maybe if you tell them enough times, then they will finally agree with
    > you also. Have fun! Dont forget to come back and let us know how it
    > all worked out!
    >
    > :)Marnee

Well thanks for putting my mind at rest - I am stupid, simple as that
and secondly I or he did not ever say he was not planning on filing
taxes any time soon you said that. He is trying his best to run a new
company and get all done and prepared and yes i am sure others are
also so dont come back with well you're not the only one. I've never
dealt with corporations or anything like it before. Here in England
the guy I work for owns his own company and is classed as self
employed so i am so stupid that i needed it to be made clear what a
corporation is and how it works. Oh and I dont need to tell the IRS
they are wrong I am sure they give correct information that would just
be stupid !!!!!!!!! I was so scared that I would get it wrong and
everything would go wrong because I took the information wrongly THAT
is why i needed it spelling out in plain english but there again i am
stupid so what the hell it dont matter anyway. It is me who is doing
all our homework on the process - he is way too tied up with the
business I wanted to make sure sure that I was right before going back
to him with what i had learned is that so wrong???????

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by His princess
It is me who is doing all our homework on the process - he is way too tied up with the business I wanted to make sure sure that I was right before going back to him with what i had learned is that so wrong???????
From what I have been told, I would have guessed it would have been you that would have been tied up - not future hubby.

You might want to check out the key on your keyboard that is immediately to the right of the "m" key. It's not just for decoration.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 4:29 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
You might want to check out the key on your keyboard that is immediately to the right of the "m" key. It's not just for decoration.
Yowch! ROFL!

Ian
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 4:54 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EMPLOYED OR SELF EMPLOYED?

His Princess,

Personally I think calling you "stupid" was uncalled for, but at the same time I realize it was said out of frustration. And as someone who's been following these various threads of yours on this topic, I feel that same frustration.

This is what's frustrating:

1) You've asked the same question multiple times and keep getting the same answer, but continue to ask the same question again anyway. "But there are people on VJ who told me he IS self-employed, while everyone else is saying he ISN'T self-employed!" you're going to say.

Yes, that's true -- but only because you keep referring to him as being the "owner" of the dealership -- and that is (however unintentionally) misleading.

Just because someone owns stock in a corporation -- even most or all of that corporation's stock -- that does not mean they are self-employed. I own stock in half a dozen major US corporations as part of my retirement portfolio, so technically I'm part-owner of those corporations -- but that doesn't make me self-employed. Just like it doesn't make your fiance self-employed. He just owns stock in a corporation of which he also happens to be the CEO.

Which leads to the second area of frustration...

2) You've said that your fiance has told you that he is employed by his corporation. If that's what he's told you, then what is all the fuss about?? He isn't employed by himself, he's employed by the corporation. So it's perplexing why, if this is what your fiance has told you himself, you have posted three separate threads asking repeatedly if he is self-employed!?!

And last but not least...

3) You've also stated that he has failed to pay any tax returns for the past few years. This is a huge sore spot for many, many people.

Your fiance not only lives AND works in the United States -- and thus is VERY familiar with the fact that tax returns are to be filed by April 15 every year -- but apparently is established enough to buy 51% of the stock of a corporation and serve as that corporation's CEO. In other words, based on his position in life, if he hasn't been paying taxes it's not out of ignorance. You've mentioned he has two grown sons, so he's old enough to know his tax obligations as a US citizen. Instead he is proactively evading taxes, and that's illegal.

On top of everything else, his refusal to file tax returns may delay and/or jeopardize your efforts to obtain a K1 visa. That directly affects YOUR life as well as his. It also brings up the moral question of whether you want to be with someone who knowingly and proactively breaks the law.

I realize that these comments are a bit critical of you and your fiance, but please try to step outside your shoes and look at the situation through OUR eyes. If you're able to do that, I think you'll see why we are frustrated and a bit ticked off by the content of your various threads.

~ Jenney

Last edited by Just Jenney; Nov 2nd 2004 at 5:55 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 5:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't quite remember now where they are at in the process, even. And I think it's great that she's helping him with the paperwork - I did the same for my husband. What I guess I don't understand is once he told her his status of "employed", why she questioned it at all, and went on a big hunt for the truth through a forum instead of through her husband? I mean, we are definitely here to help - but she just seemed overly anxious about something that was between her and her hubby.

And, I agree totally that his lack of responsibility in filing taxes doesn't look good at all.

Rene
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 6:11 am
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Personally I think calling you "stupid" was uncalled for, but at the same time I realize it was said out of frustration. And as someone who's been following these various threads of yours on this topic, I feel that same frustration.
Okay, so maybe i shouldn't have called her stupid, but I was quite annoyed considering that i had already typed her a detailed response to her second post and then saw yet a third post with the same question. I really felt that she was not bothering to read the responses that people were taking the time to give her, either that or just ignoring them or dismissing them, waiting to hear the answer that she wanted - correct or not.

Marnee
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 7:08 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Where have all the nice polite people gone..The ones who used to answer the idiots with tact and diplomacy, like I used too.
I find this a most shocking downward trend.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 7:38 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Where have all the nice polite people gone..The ones who used to answer the idiots with tact and diplomacy, like I used too. I find this a most shocking downward trend.
Oh yeah? Well who asked you anyway? Why don't you just crawl back under your rock and stop bothering the hard-working people like me who try to help these good folks any way I possibly can. What do you even know about immigration anyway? You've certainly never had any of the heart-wrenching disappointments that some of these folks have had... the husband who found a young bimbo and off he went - and damn... right in the middle of filing for his GC; or the CEO who refuses to pay taxes while his beloved tries to figure out if he's self-employed or not; or the guy who thinks a visit from his wife is the same as living together; and I won't even go into heartbreak of having your loved one in a different country while USCIS takes its own sweet time processing their applications! What do you know about any of that, eh?

Ian
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

More importantly, what does "disabled reputation" mean Ray? Did you have an accident we should know about? Playing with one too many assault rifles were we?

I didn't know they allowed one to post from the nursing home.

It is very honorable of you to stand up for the idiots. Hear, hear I say. Speaking of which, I probably know who you voted for today too.
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 8:06 am
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Where have all the nice polite people gone..The ones who used to answer the idiots with tact and diplomacy, like I used too.
I find this a most shocking downward trend.

Well, Mr. Tact and Diplomacy...does this sound at all familiar:

"And to all those who I upset..I would just like to say sorrry..and if you believe that ..you really are a moron.."

We have to amuse ourselves somehow!
Marnee
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 8:28 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Don't *make* me split y'all off to Take It Outside...
Old Nov 2nd 2004, 6:57 pm
His princess

ian-mstm <member2954@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > > From what I have been told, I would have guessed it would have been
    > > you that would have been tied up - not future hubby.
    > >
    > > You might want to check out the key on your keyboard that is
    > > immediately to the right of the "m" key. It's not just for decoration.
    >
    > Yowch! ROFL! :D
    >
    > Ian

Rene - Just to let you know to end confusion - his taxes were all done
its the tax return which should have been filed in April which hasnt
been done only that one - he's getting stuck into it, started it
yesterday thank god and yep he knows he will be fined for late filing
but he wont be late again fines for anything cause an ouch!

To whoever pointed out the how a keyboard works well done to you it is
good that you know something in life.

Got it all sorted panick over

Old Nov 2nd 2004, 7:53 pm
Anon

His princess wrote:
>
    > Rene - Just to let you know to end confusion - his taxes were all done
    > its the tax return which should have been filed in April which hasnt
    > been done only that one - he's getting stuck into it, started it
    > yesterday thank god and yep he knows he will be fined for late filing
    > but he wont be late again fines for anything cause an ouch!

"his taxes were all done, its the tax return which should have been
filed in April which hasn't been done only that one"

This sounds odd. If "all" of them were done, then wouldn't that include
the one due in April? Did he file an extension? Are you referring to
his individual 2003 tax return, the corporation's tax return, or both?
Does his tax year run January to December? Does the corporation's tax
year run from January to December?

Did he receive a W-2 as an employee of the corporation? Was 2003 the
first year as a corporation? If not, then has he received a W-2 from the
corporation in the past?

Yes, I am a bit skeptical about this whole issue about whether has
incorporated his business. 1 + 1 doesn't seem to equal 2.

I think you should have an attorney doing all of the paperwork for your
immigration as it seems that you have had a difficult time getting past
the basic question of whether he is an employee or not. It doesn't sound
like he is using professional help in preparing his personal and
corporate returns, and something is definitely lacking there.

Old Nov 3rd 2004, 4:23 am
Cool Member

Originally Posted by His princess
Rene - Just to let you know to end confusion - his taxes were all done
its the tax return which should have been filed in April which hasnt
been done only that one - he's getting stuck into it, started it
yesterday thank god and yep he knows he will be fined for late filing
but he wont be late again fines for anything cause an ouch!
Princess:

I read another post recently that proof that the USC had filed for a tax extension worked ok in place of the missing tax year forms. If he has the past ones plus the extension at the time of the interview, then maybe you will be ok with that. Bank statements, a letter from his accountant or bookkeeper would be very helpful also. Does he have his W-2's for this year? Is it the corporation that hasnt filed taxes or is it him personally, or both?

Good Luck!
Marnee
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

anyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really nice

Princess:

It would help you greatly in life if you are not, indeed stupid, that you don't continually state that you are.

Your posts use the tone that I used when I was 13; however, my grammar and punctuation were better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.