Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Emigrate From UK to USA

Emigrate From UK to USA

Old Oct 26th 2010, 4:39 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrate From UK to USA

So you are saying that having a small population increases the need for tax revenues.

California has a much larger population than any other state, but also the highest taxes at the same time. How do you account for this?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I didn't disagree with you on sales tax... although I thought NB was 13% HST. I could be wrong, it's been a few years since I lived in Halifax where the HST was 15%. Ah... doesn't matter, really! The reason behind the higher sales tax, and higher taxes in general, is because Canada is trying to run a world-class economy without a sufficiently large population base.

Ah... then I misunderstood your term "customer service". I've been in the US too long. Here, customer service is the help desk at Wal-Mart when you're returning goods. That's different from utility services where things get done quicker in the US because there's actually laws against utility monopolies... although, not really, but yes! Anyway, that's a topic for a whole different thread.

Sorry about the rough time you're having with it. When I moved to Halifax, I had power 2 days after moving in, and cable/internet a few days later.

Ian
Old Oct 26th 2010, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamercon
So you are saying that having a small population increases the need for tax revenues.
For Canada, yes. Otherwise, I said no such thing!

California has a much larger population than any other state, but also the highest taxes at the same time. How do you account for this?
I suggest you don't confuse need with want! If you want me to spell it out for you I will, but I think you're a smart guy!

Ian
Old Oct 26th 2010, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by essence
To be clear, I was talking about two different customer services. BA, and the Chicago airport customer service.

Both as bad as each other.
I am still amazed that BA left you cold and asked you to make your way to Houston. That’s ridiculous…
Old Oct 26th 2010, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamercon

My view.

Nops. There is a certain level of service Canada/Australia want to provide which comes at a certain ‘fixed’ cost. Lower population to recover this cost means high taxes per capita. Period.

Why California has higher taxes I have little research on that given I have not been here long enough but I can already tell that the contributing factors are high spending, poor business conditions, falling property prices, incompetence etc.
Old Oct 26th 2010, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

babybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to all

hi essence

i work for BA

this probably isnt the time or place to discuss this but if youre talking about the lhr-iah 777 ( ba 195) that diverted to ord in oct 2008 i think you need to either reword what you have been saying - or perhaps tell us more - as i am 100% certain that ALL customers who accepted the alternatives we offered WERE booked onto domestic carriers to continue their journey onto IAH asap

noone was left to their own devices UNLESS they refused the help that was offered and thought they could do better themselves

as someone said above - - the ticket you purchase is a contract to get you from a-b - - its not a nice to do its a necessary to do
Old Oct 26th 2010, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

essence is an unknown quantity at this point

I have sent a pm. I am very sure. This was the flight

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7653920.stm

The news story was completely wrong about being transferred. We transferred ourselves. I guess the way it was written could be interpreted either way, but gives a false impression.

It is possible we were told 'BA will try to help, but we don't know how long it will take, maybe you would like to try to get a flight yourselves' addressed to 100 people in a noisy area after we had been waiting for news for some time.

It was difficult to hear what was being said, I seem to remember passengers asking each other what was said. Complete confusion.

The fire officers were very organised. They went around and asked every individual some questions. I think we just had to sign our names, don't know why.

I seem to remember there was just one lone BA person. Completely overwhelmed.

Can't say any other airline would have done any better. Can't remember if Chicago ord is a normal destination for BA.

We were a bit stressed. Smoke coming out and strong smell, 5 rows in front of me. Luckyt we were over land.

Funny how things are reported.

Check out

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...ing-smell.html

This is incorrect. Staff did not report smelling smoke. A passenger reported it, and told a member of cabin crew.

'What was thought to be a burning smell' bollocks, it was an obvious burning smell, everybody smelt it.

i am 100% certain that ALL customers who accepted the alternatives

endquote

So, what percentage of passangers were offered alternatives? What percentage were aware that alternatives were available? What efforts were made to ensure that 100% of passengers were made comprehensively aware of alternatives? What makes you 100% certain? Were you there? Or is this hearsay?

What percent of all passangers were organised on to flights by BA, with BA paying costs up front , and within what time period?

What percent of paaegers were offered, and accepted, hotel stays overnight, all costs paid up front by BA?

One last thing. Good customer service would have meant a BA representative making contact afterwards to check whether I had had any problems with on-going flights, and asking how they may be able to help.

But hey, I still prefer BA flights to Continental. Got that nice terminal 5.

One more last thing...

The BA hostess who helped me, it was completely ad hoc, she was standing nearby and saw me moving from the ord service desk, about to blow a fuse and have a heart attack, I had the tel number of United, so she helped me at a public phone put a call through to United.

I can't say the United check in desk was much help either - I seem to remember various queues, and being confused which queue I should be in - I had a flight number scribbled down, but not sure whether I should be in sales queue or check in queue (or if there is any difference). Whatever, I had to get out my credit card. Others were in similar confusion.

I hate corporate speak.

Last edited by essence; Oct 26th 2010 at 10:35 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

babybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to all

hi essence
i have replied to your pm as its not fair to hog this thread

thanks for replying
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:38 am
Just Joined

Babybyrd

That's OK, the same incident can be viewed in many different ways, individual BA staff were helpful but were operating under constraints, dealing with an unusual situation, ands communications were difficult and slow.

Back to the main story....
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:35 pm
Kind Help Plz. Not Linx.

clemato is just really niceclemato is just really niceclemato is just really niceclemato is just really niceclemato is just really niceclemato is just really niceclemato is just really niceclemato is just really nice

Sorry to bash on B.A. as well, but I'll be quick. When flying USA to UK on B.A. with my wedding dress (a sheer thing, not one of those monstrous gowns), they were rude (the British staff) and essentially, said "too bad" about hanging it in a closet.

They didn't give a damn about it me. This was not just some dress or some jacket, this was a wedding dress. My 1 time and I was the only person hanging stuff up, by the way.

In fact, the English lady at the ticket gate told me to roll it up and stuff it in the overhead compartments. Roll it up? Madness!

Inside the plane, the staff ran all around to find a safe place to hang it. And the England domestic flight staff were okay. The flight staff going back to America was the friendliest, though. Probably because it wasn't a red eye!

Sorry.....

Back to topic.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

California Dreamin' is an unknown quantity at this point

Ladies/Gentlemen; after more than fourty years of living in the USA and visiting england to see relatives about every other year one realizes that the English as a nation are fundamentaly rude. Get used to it.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Plus world champions at self flagellation.

If we weren't the most wonderful people in the world, we wouldn't have to whip ourselves to remind ourselves of our imperfections

I may criticise BA, but if any non-Brit criticised them, I would leap to their defence vigorously .
Old Oct 28th 2010, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

I may criticise BA, but if any non-Brit criticised them, I would leap to their defence vigorously .
Another one of those traits that belong truely to the Poms
Old Oct 29th 2010, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

California Dreamin' is an unknown quantity at this point

Plus world champions at self flagellation.

If we weren't the most wonderful people in the world, we wouldn't have to whip ourselves to remind ourselves of our imperfections

Let me look see what the dictionary calls that.....
Stupidity !
Old Oct 29th 2010, 4:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Another one of those traits that belong truely to the Poms
Originally Posted by California Dreamin'
Let me look see what the dictionary calls that.....
Stupidity !
Oh I call 'piffle' on both of you!
This is a trait of all nationalities... I feel the same way about criticisms I read about the US here... it's one thing if *I* say it.. it's another entirely if YOU do!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
Oh I call 'piffle' on both of you!
This is a trait of all nationalities... I feel the same way about criticisms I read about the US here... it's one thing if *I* say it.. it's another entirely if YOU do!

True true...