Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Educating La. dept of motor vehicles

Wikiposts

Educating La. dept of motor vehicles

Old Mar 21st 2004, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Educating La. dept of motor vehicles

We went to the eye doctor and fifty dollars and thirty minutes later found out that she has perfect vision, no corrections needed. We also found out that the DMV neglected to give us a form that the doctor needs to fill out. Soooooooo a minimum of three more trips to the DMV. One to get the form and one to return the completed form and one to take the driving exam. We will retake the test on rules and regulations on one of the other trips....

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Wooo let us know when she gets it!!
Old Mar 21st 2004, 3:45 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
It would be nice if more people had the resources to challenge these arbitrary decisions.
Was not an arbitrary decision nor did it originate with Arnie. That law has been with DMV in CA for as long as I can remember. You need to prove legal status and an EAD card will do it. The license is only good for as long as the EAD card is valid and then has to be renewed when you get the new one. This can be verified by doing a google search.

Rete
Old Mar 21st 2004, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by Rete
Was not an arbitrary decision nor did it originate with Arnie. That law has been with DMV in CA for as long as I can remember. You need to prove legal status and an EAD card will do it. The license is only good for as long as the EAD card is valid and then has to be renewed when you get the new one. This can be verified by doing a google search.
Rete
I couldn't care less where it originated.

I do think this procedural decision was arbitrary because it would not allow for any other proof of legal residency except for a green card or an EAD. This is according to the poster.

The procedure does conform with section 12801.5(c) of the California Vehicle Vehicle code to the extent that the code allows the DMV to develop its own regulations for establishing residency, but does not mean that the procedure or regulation - which is not a law - is not arbitrary, nor that it conforms with other state or federal law.

I think it would be a wonderful thing for the immigrant community if decisions like this were challenged more regularly so that government agencies like the DMV are not able to put unecessary and arbitrary obstacles in the way of legal residents obtaining routine documents like driving licenses.

Do you have any other nitpicking?
Old Mar 21st 2004, 4:40 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lpdiver
We went to the eye doctor and fifty dollars and thirty minutes later found out that she has perfect vision, no corrections needed. We also found out that the DMV neglected to give us a form that the doctor needs to fill out. Soooooooo a minimum of three more trips to the DMV. One to get the form and one to return the completed form and one to take the driving exam. We will retake the test on rules and regulations on one of the other trips....

Oh gosh, what a royal pain!!
I am so sorry you guys are having such a hard time to get a driving license.. it is UNREAL...
The wal-mart by our house checks your vision for free, maybe next time you can ask if it is for free for you too!!
Good Luck!!!
Old Mar 21st 2004, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly Rete and the law as is written is fine. It is when it comes to the incorrect application. I would have raised hell the first day but in the course of action I noticed that the drivers testing agency had not written her name to match her passport. So I didn't want to win the battle and lose the war. The intent of the law in louisiana is to prove legal presence and the I-94 does that just fine in the case of the K-3 (I-94 needs a minimum of 180 days remaining). I detest someone having authority over me and being ingorant as was the case here. I'm not done with them yet. I am keeping track of events and will follow through.

Originally posted by Rete

Rete