Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Educating La. dept of motor vehicles

Wikiposts

Educating La. dept of motor vehicles

Old Mar 17th 2004, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default Educating La. dept of motor vehicles

Tomorrow will be my fifth trip to the DMV and I am going loaded for bear. After much research I have finally found the statute stating that only one document is needed to prove legal presence.

I hope in the process of "educating" the DMV I am not incarcerated. Hehehe.

If you are in louisiana the statute is R.S. 32:409.1, section I Issuance of Driver's License, Number 6.02.

The exact phrasing is "...as long as the applicant can present valid documentation, whether it be ONE (my caps) or several, that documentation will suffice for legal presence.

For those not following my past posts the Louisiana DMV has been insisting on an I-94 AND an EAD. I hope to educate them between the difference between the words AND and OR tomorrow.

USCIS did not send me a NOA for my wifes submission of the EAD. This would have made all this excercise moot.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 1:17 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Educating La. dept of motor vehicles

Originally posted by lpdiver
USCIS did not send me a NOA for my wifes submission of the EAD. This would have made all this excercise moot.
Hi Tony,
From reading other's posts, I don't think they send an NOA for the AOS and EAD applications---what I have heard is that you get a receipt for your payment which turns out to be like a cheap cash register receipt from a store. This is your proof of filing. Good luck!

~SG
Old Mar 17th 2004, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Why do they think you NEED an EAD. Not everyone chooses to work and working is not a prerequisite for driving!
Old Mar 17th 2004, 2:09 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DCMark
Why do they think you NEED an EAD. Not everyone chooses to work and working is not a prerequisite for driving!
I have heard that some states use it as proof of residency?

~SG
Old Mar 17th 2004, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Epitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to allEpitomee2000 is a name known to all

Originally posted by SecretGarden
I have heard that some states use it as proof of residency?

~SG
California requires an EAD as residency or a green card (that is almost impossible based on the fact that the district office is only working on apps from Jul 2003.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

MarDae will become famous soon enough

I completely agree!!!!! In PA you also need to show your AOS receipt (SG we received a more official looking notice than the register receipt we got when we applied in person...it came in the mail about 2 weeks after we applied, it was a nice surprise since we weren't expecting one! ). You would think that showing them that you've applied for permanent residency would be enough!!!! I don't understand the whole EAD license link either.

I'll just be happy when I don't have to be a chaffeur anymore!!!

MarDae
Old Mar 17th 2004, 5:28 am
kud
BE Enthusiast

kud is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MarDae

I'll just be happy when I don't have to be a chaffeur anymore!!!

MarDae
How quickly out outlook changes .
I would be happy to be the chaffeur as that would mean my Wife is here.
Old Mar 17th 2004, 5:30 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

I second that!!!
All I needed to get my Colorado driving license was my then visa (J1).
Good Luck Tony!!!
Old Mar 17th 2004, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by kud
How quickly out outlook changes .
I would be happy to be the chaffeur as that would mean my Wife is here.
LOL. I would have thought that too 3 months ago...thing is, I hate to drive and he loves to yet I'm the one who has to do all of the driving. I'm sure that the feeling is mutual, he can't wait to be behind the wheel!!

MarDae
Old Mar 17th 2004, 5:34 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. I would have thought that too 3 months ago...thing is, I hate to drive and he loves to yet I'm the one who has to do all of the driving. I'm sure that the feeling is mutual, he can't wait to be behind the wheel!!

MarDae

I love driving!! I know Colorado as the palm of my hand!!
Old Mar 17th 2004, 6:38 am
The Missus

MarDae
MarDae,
I think most states will allow someone to drive for 90 days on their foreign license. Mr. Pink is currently doing most of the driving while I'm in the car, as practice for his driver's test. In Illinois we need the SSN first and he must take a written test and show proof of auto insurance. It is up to the discretion of the DMV staff that particular day whether or not he also has to take a road test.

It was a chicken and egg situation with the insurance company, as they initially refused to add him on to my car insurance without an Illinois license. I explained that he couldn't get a license without proof of auto insurance, and after several calls downstate to district office big wigs, they added him on. *Sigh*. It's always something. Right now he's eagerly studying his Rules of the Road book and preparing for the road test by driving me around as much as he can!

~SG
Old Mar 17th 2004, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by SecretGarden
MarDae,
I think most states will allow someone to drive for 90 days on their foreign license. Mr. Pink is currently doing most of the driving while I'm in the car, as practice for his driver's test. In Illinois we need the SSN first and he must take a written test and show proof of auto insurance. It is up to the discretion of the DMV staff that particular day whether or not he also has to take a road test.

It was a chicken and egg situation with the insurance company, as they initially refused to add him on to my car insurance without an Illinois license. I explained that he couldn't get a license without proof of auto insurance, and after several calls downstate to district office big wigs, they added him on. *Sigh*. It's always something. Right now he's eagerly studying his Rules of the Road book and preparing for the road test by driving me around as much as he can!

~SG
In Pennsylvania you can drive for a year on an international license. Unfortunately Anthony doesn't have one He applied in Feb 2003 for his drivers test and it was scheduled for 2 days ago. Needless to say he missed it! It makes me thankful that at least our DMV isn't that slow...and we think that immigration is slow...they only had to provide him with a drivers test and it took over a year. He'll be starting from scratch with his PA license. The funny this is that he'll probably end up getting an American issued internation license so he can drive in Ireland when he goes to visit!! Thanks for the info though

MarDae
Old Mar 17th 2004, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

I had that conversation with them also. The main reason I left was that while arguing the EAD requirement I noticed that the required pre driving course certification didn't get filled out with a name matching Angela's passport and I knew that had to be fixed anyway. They put her married name instead and that is a no-no. All papers have to match the passport.

Complicating matters is the fact that Angela has never had a drivers license.

Of interest when I got married I had to change my status on my vehicle insurance. Since Angela had no U.S. paper work I had to exclude her. When she got her they allowed me to add her and my insurance rate went down $21.00 per month.

Old Mar 17th 2004, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

The answer is that there are two documents that are allowable as proof of legal presence in the USA. One is an I-94 and the other is an EAD. Both you don't HAVE to have both. Like I said I am going to educate them Tomorrow.

Old Mar 17th 2004, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Darkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an international european (belgian) license and never had any problems when stopped by the police in PA.

I'm hoping they will trade in my international one for a PA one once i arrive in the US and present the relevant documentation.

I won't give up my real license though and present them with a copy. Because if they take it and say you need to schedule tests, etc then i wont be able to drive home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.