Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

easiest way too be together?

easiest way too be together?

Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

dr pepper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: easiest way too be together?

thanks for peoples input,i do take onboard the comments about needing to really get to know each other.we believe that this will all work and that filling for a fiance visa for her to come to the u.k. then us get married and adjust her status then begin our lives together.

her family has pretty much given her no support and dismissed any of her ideas/points.

my family are appearing to be more supportive and we are currently exploring every student visa way of her coming to the u.k.,as predicted and foreseen this is extremely difficult unless you have around £20-50,000 sitting in a savings account.

so if we was to apply for a fiance visa,whats the likely hood of acceptance/refusal? then after we have the ceremony etc' we apply to change her status from fiance to wife,is there another fee then incurred or is this just a simple form filling excercise?

just trying to work out the kind of costs involved and turn around dates,blah blah blah.

so any other input help would be appreciated.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read the wiki at all?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1

[QUOTE=just trying to work out the kind of costs involved and turn around dates,blah blah blah.

so any other input help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dr pepper
thanks for peoples input,i do take onboard the comments about needing to really get to know each other.we believe that this will all work and that filling for a fiance visa for her to come to the u.k. then us get married and adjust her status then begin our lives together.

her family has pretty much given her no support and dismissed any of her ideas/points.

my family are appearing to be more supportive and we are currently exploring every student visa way of her coming to the u.k.,as predicted and foreseen this is extremely difficult unless you have around £20-50,000 sitting in a savings account.

so if we was to apply for a fiance visa,whats the likely hood of acceptance/refusal? then after we have the ceremony etc' we apply to change her status from fiance to wife,is there another fee then incurred or is this just a simple form filling excercise?

just trying to work out the kind of costs involved and turn around dates,blah blah blah.

so any other input help would be appreciated.
Without knowing all the deatils of your case, nobody can tell you whether any application will be accepted or not. In terms of costs and the process for moving to the UK, the majority of people here are working on going the other way so you might not get many helpful answers. You could try a forum for people hoping to move to the UK, or the section of this site dedicated to that. You could also try this link

http://bit.ly/yE7Yj3

Regards,
James
Old Feb 24th 2012, 7:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

get married and adjust her status then begin our lives together.
How do you earn your living? At this point, it would be better for you to concentrate on building up a nest egg so that you can pay your rent, pay the filing fees in either country, and support your prospective wife. Whatever you may think, no-one can live on love and nothing can destroy a relationship faster than money worries. Slow down and take your time -- if this is meant to be, it will be. But this board is littered with posts from people who are "desperate" to be together, then they show up in a year's time with the relationship already on the rocks. No-one thinks they are going to become a statistic, but you have nothing but time at this point. Use it wisely!
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janadeen
Have you read the wiki at all?

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1
I believe the OP was talking about his USC fiancee coming to the UK.

Rene
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It appears you are now considering your USC fiancee to move to the UK. This forum is for people immigrating to the USA, so your questions won't get answered well here.

Try going to www.uk-yankee.com. They have a similar forum, but for people immigrating to the UK, as your USC fiancee is planning to do.

Rene
Old Feb 24th 2012, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

If so, then I misread the post. Apologies.

"so if we was to apply for a fiance visa,whats the likely hood of acceptance/refusal? then after we have the ceremony etc' we apply to change her status from fiance to wife,is there another fee then incurred or is this just a simple form filling excercise?"

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I believe the OP was talking about his USC fiancee coming to the UK.

Rene
Old Feb 25th 2012, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

our plan is for her to come to the u.k. then get married blah blah blah,

but looking at k1 visas if i was to come to the u.s. theres alot about being able to support yourself and sponsors and stuff,what sort of rough amount do you need in savings,who would be able to say that they would provide me with a roof over my head until i found a job and moved on etc'.

thanks.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light

You realize that by having her come to the UK you have very similar requirements in being able to support her. She is not allowed access to public funds, and as I pointed out earlier, I believe YOU Must be 21 years old in order to marry someone who is not already from the UK. How are you going to provide for her? What are you going to be doing to keep her safely off public funds? How are you magically going to go from 17 to 21?
Old Feb 25th 2012, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

it changed from 21 to 18 last year, my parents until we both find jobs then find our own place etc'
Old Feb 25th 2012, 5:45 pm

You need to be specific regarding the "blah blah blah" part of your plan. Lots of people get married in the UK but the plan is still to immigrate to the USA. You seem to waffle back and forth between wanting her to immigrate to the UK, and you wanting to immigrate to the USA. You need to choose a path and stick to it. When you said "blah blah blah" above, did you actually mean "settle permanently in the UK"? Or did you mean "Begin the paperwork to immigrate to the USA after marriage"?

but looking at k1 visas if i was to come to the u.s. theres alot about being able to support yourself and sponsors and stuff,what sort of rough amount do you need in savings,who would be able to say that they would provide me with a roof over my head until i found a job and moved on etc'.
There's more to it than that. For the K-1 visa, the Affidavit of Support is Form I-134. You can find it at www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-134. Read the form and the instructions to find out how someone in the USA can sponsor your K-1 visa. There is no real set dollar amount for the I-134, it just has to be enough for the ConOff to be convinced you won't become a public charge in the USA.

After you arrive on the K-1, you need to adjust status to permanent resident (AOS). This involves another set of paperwork and a new Affidavit of Support. The Affidavit of Support for the AOS is form I-864. Go to www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-864, and read the form and instructions. This one has a strict dollar amount that needs to be met, depending on household size. Go to www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-864P to see the figures. Look at the 125% column for the household size of the sponsor plus the immigrant. That is the amount needed in yearly income. If the sponsor (your spouse) does not earn that amount, she can use assets equal to 3x what was needed in income. If she doesn't have that either, then a Joint Sponsor can be used. If the Joint Sponsor doesn't have enough income, the joint sponsor's assets must equal 5x what was needed in income.

Rene

p.s. - If you use the I-864P as a rough guideline, the answer to your question of "how much savings does my K-1 sponsor need?" would be $55,161 in savings (or $18,387 in yearly income).

Last edited by Noorah101; Feb 25th 2012 at 5:49 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of good advice on here.

Here's mine - you wont like it!

Firstly be able to completely support yourself financially before even considering marriage and therefore financially supporting your spouse as required.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 1:15 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Ah... the specificity of youth! If you can't be bothered to write what you mean, why bother to write at all?

Is Google broken today? Try this: http://bit.ly/w7AOrz.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Feb 26th 2012 at 1:26 am.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

katiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of lightkatiekat is a glorious beacon of light

I think you're missing a HUGE PART of the point of A: Marriage and B: Immigrating a Spouse and what the COUNTRY (either one) expects of you.

When you marry someone you don't get to rely on your parents to take care of things for you. Marriage is for adults and adults handle their own problems. You need to have a job (or she needs to have one if you move to the US), you need to be able to provide her with clothing, food, and a roof over her head, or vice versa. Immigration does make this difficult depending n the route you take, but you should be preparing to do these things as soon as possible.

If she's coming to the UK then you need to be finding a job now. How are YOUR parents going to support themselves, plus you, plus your wife? What does the UK say about immigration sponsors? You realize that you have to have guaranteed income above a certain level to sponsor your spouse/ fiance right? Just like in the US. The dole doesn't count, in fact they won't let her touch it.

You just still seem very much to be running on emotion. Trying to get together quickly will only make it take longer. Slow down! All I'm seeing here is "How can we get together quickly but not really be responsible for ourselves?" And frankly, there isn't a way to do that. If you come to the US and can't eventually meet the income requirements (read, by the time you apply for AOS from the K1) then you must have a joint sponsor which is likely going to be her parents. Her parents probably aren't too thrilled with all this because their 18 year old daughter, probably just out of high school, is pretty much abandoning the chance at a college education for the time being to go move half-way around the world to be with a boy who is himself barely out of secondary school, with no job, whose solution is "let's just move in with my folks". Would you be excited? Probably not.

I'm far from up on the UK arrangements because for my husband and I it was far easier for him to move to the US. However, on the flip side of that, you have no idea what the UK requirements are, no job, are at a local college working on getting some sort of diploma and have no way to support a wife or any potential children.

Again, you really need to STOP!

Stop, slow down and take the emotion out of it.... Seriously.

Last edited by katiekat; Feb 26th 2012 at 1:46 am.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

As others have stated, for you to immigrate to the US, the sponsor must make a certain minimum annual income or have a certain amount of liquid assets. After that, until either 5 years pass or you become a US citizen, you will not be eligible for any means tested government benefits.

Therefore if your wife had an income that met the minimum requirement and was the sponsor but later lost her job, she may possibly be able to receive government means tested benefits but not you. In the US, government means tested benefits are lower and more difficult to get than the UK so it would be impossible for the two of you to live on those benefits. If you had a job and she lost hers, she may be able to get government benefits since the government considers your combined income when deciding whether benefits are allowed. So either way, there could be a lot of poverty in your family.

If you are in dire straights and can somehow get government benefits, the government will then go after the sponsor to get repaid for any benefits received by the immigrant.

Although the amount of income that the US government requires may look like a large amount, if that is all the income that both of you will have to live on, you are going to be living a pretty sparse life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.