Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

EAD and SSN Questions in Atlanta: pls advice !!!!

Wikiposts

EAD and SSN Questions in Atlanta: pls advice !!!!

Old May 6th 2004, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

JJ&ST is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EAD and SSN Questions in Atlanta: pls advice !!!!

At POE Detroit where I entered, the immigration officer gave me no EAD,only the lower portion of I-94 stamped and put in my passport which was also stamped admitted 02 May.

I asked about form I-551 (Alien Registration Card Number) and EAD and he said that I will only get all those after my marriage.

I went to the local in Atlanta where we live on May 4th to enquire for the above items. Instead I was given some load of forms for AOS and EAD including required filling fees. The officer their said i should complete and mail all,enclosing marriage certificate. Meaning,I get nothing till after marriage!!! My marriage comes up June 5.

May 5th,I was at the Social security office,after handing in my passport,she checked on the system and told me its not yet there.But to come back in two weeks!!! I asked why so long? She said this is Atlanta,this could delay like that!!!

Please is these all strange!!!! Please advice needed !!!

Last edited by JJ&ST; May 6th 2004 at 4:53 am.
Old May 6th 2004, 4:58 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD and SSN Questions in Atlanta: pls advice !!!!

Originally posted by JJ&ST
At POE Detroit where I entered, the immigration officer gave me no EAD,only the lower portion of I-94 stamped and put in my passport which was also stamped admitted 02 May.

I asked about form I-551 (Alien Registration Card Number) and EAD and he said that I will only get all those after my marriage.

I went to the local office in Atlanta where we live on May 4th to enquire for the above items. Instead I was given some load of forms for AOS and EAD including required filling fees. The officer their said i should complete and mail all,enclosing marriage certificate. Meaning,I get get nothing till after marriage!!! My marriage comes up June 6.

May 5th,I was at the Social security office,after handing in my passport,she checked on the system and told me its not yet there.But to come back in two weeks!!! I asked why so long? She said this is Atlanta,this could delay like that!!!

It's not strange at all. What you've encountered is what almost all K1 recipients go through. Only a very small minority of K1 recipients receive a temporary EAD stamp upon their arrival in the States. Most get nothing and have to apply for an EAD after marriage. So I'm not sure what you need advice on, exactly.

You only arrived on May 2nd. It takes some time before your name is updated in the SAVE system after you arrive. Until your name is in that system, the SSA does not have clearance to give you a SSN. It usually takes a couple of weeks for your name to get updated into SAVE. That is why the SSA official told you to come back in two weeks. This is normal procedure.

When Mark arrived, we waited three weeks before applying for his SSN. By then he was in the SAVE system and got his SS card a week later in the mail. The day after we applied for his SSN, we got married.

Once you marry, then you apply for adjustment of status (AOS) and your EAD. Yes, this means paying the filing fees -- you don't think they'd give it to you for free, did you!?!

So again, since your situation is the same as 99% of K1 recipients, what exactly do you need advice on?

~ Jenney
Old May 6th 2004, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark
It's not strange at all. What you've encountered is what almost all K1 recipients go through. Only a very small minority of K1 recipients receive a temporary EAD stamp upon their arrival in the States. Most get nothing and have to apply for an EAD after marriage. So I'm not sure what you need advice on, exactly.

You only arrived on May 2nd. It takes some time before your name is updated in the SAVE system after you arrive. Until your name is in that system, the SSA does not have clearance to give you a SSN. It usually takes a couple of weeks for your name to get updated into SAVE. That is why the SSA official told you to come back in two weeks. This is normal procedure.

When Mark arrived, we waited three weeks before applying for his SSN. By then he was in the SAVE system and got his SS card a week later in the mail. The day after we applied for his SSN, we got married.

Once you marry, then you apply for adjustment of status (AOS) and your EAD. Yes, this means paying the filing fees -- you don't think they'd give it to you for free, did you!?!

So again, since your situation is the same as 99% of K1 recipients, what exactly do you need advice on?

~ Jenney

Thanks a lot. Well you have indirectly given the advice meaning I should not worry,nothing is strange,but all in order of procedures!!!!! Thanks again.
Old May 9th 2004, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Attention please !!!

*** If you apply for EAD within K-1 status within the 90 days, it expires immediately you get married. And need to obtain a new one together with AOS. Please I quess this is correct?

***Also,I want to know if one gets a SSN within K-1,does this same number continue being valid after he gets married or does he need to apply for a new number again?
Old May 10th 2004, 2:15 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

*** If you apply for EAD within K-1 status within the 90 days, it expires immediately you get married. And need to obtain a new one together with AOS. Please I quess this is correct?
Yes, you need to apply for a new EAD IF you received the 90 day one at POE. But you said this wasn't the case for you, so you shouldn't even apply for the EAD (along with AOS) until AFTER you are married.

***Also,I want to know if one gets a SSN within K-1,does this same number continue being valid after he gets married or does he need to apply for a new number again?
The SSN will stay the same, whether you apply before or after marriage. It will stay with you for life.

Just to let you know, I also immigrated via Detroit to Atlanta and this is what my timeline looks like, though yours could obviously slightly differ as things never seem consistent with this process, but at least it will give you an idea of how it could be:

August 31, 2003: Immigration to Atlanta via Detroit POE
September 10, 2003: Marriage at Decatur, GA courthouse
September 22, 2003: File for SS# (& name change), "not in system"
September 30, 2003: AOS & EAD sent to Atlanta center
October 1, 2003: Re-apply for SS# (& name change), "in system"
October 20, 2003: SS# arrives in mail
October 23, 2003: NOA1 for EAD & AOS
October 27, 2003: AOS, EAD & fingerprinting checks cleared
November 29, 2003: EAD & AOS biometrics
December 9, 2003: USCIS received AOS fingerprint results (online)
December 22, 2003: RFE (received 12/26), missing Patrick's birth certificate (sent back 12/29)
January 5, 2004: Case resumed (online)
February 4, 2004: EAD approved (online), arrives 02/11
Old May 10th 2004, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Hi Steffi,

Thanks a million. Your response has relieved some worries from us here. Glad to know you live closeby!! We will be using same Decatur,GA also!!!

Yes,this whole INS things are quite inconsistent,but calls for lot of patience. I will wait to file EAD after marriage,same time with AOS.

However,my name is not yet in system for the SSN at the office in #4365 Schackleford Rd, Nocross. Hopefully,will check again from May 17th,completing 2 weeks of entry.

Thanks again for your help.

JJ
Old May 10th 2004, 4:52 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

However,my name is not yet in system for the SSN at the office in #4365 Schackleford Rd, Nocross. Hopefully,will check again from May 17th,completing 2 weeks of entry.
Yeah, as you can see mine also took a while to be in the system.

Good luck with everything...fellow Atlantan!
Old May 10th 2004, 5:02 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

An I-551 is NOT an Alien Registration Number. An I-551 is the paper equilvalent of the Green Card to which you are not entitled.

Your alien registration number should be on the Notice of Action your fiancee received for the I-129F petition.

If you were not given one at that time nor given one by the agent at the POE, then you will just have to wait for the USCIS to assign you one once you are married and have applied for adjustment of status.

Rete
Old May 10th 2004, 5:07 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I realize that you are the foreigner here and that your wife often posted under the same name. She might be more familiar with the procedures than you are and since she is apparently not dealing with your adjustment of status, employment authorization, social security card, etc. but you are, may I suggest that you read the root post under my name at the start of this forum dealing with the FAQ. All the questions and misconceptions you have will be answered there and corrected. Of course, you will still have more and new ones and perhaps the kind people here will be willing to assist you.

Rete
Moderator.

Hi Steffi,

Thanks a million. Your response has relieved some worries from us here. Glad to know you live closeby!! We will be using same Decatur,GA also!!!

Yes,this whole INS things are quite inconsistent,but calls for lot of patience. I will wait to file EAD after marriage,same time with AOS.

Thanks again for your help.

JJ
Old May 10th 2004, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Attn: RETE

Hi,

Thanks for writing in anyway.

1. But from past records,at least your responses to mine. I have observed that you don't read my last postings and replies from members to me in order know if my present question have been answered or not, before just cutting in from nowhere . Read your responses to mine postings in the past and you will understand what I am talking about.

Of course,I have alien registration number which was in the NOA2 and stated in my visa,lower left handside ;

Annotation:
A#............ So this is not the issue here now!!!

2. For your info also,that one is the foreign fiance or fiancee as applicable does not make him or her an ignoramus. Please wake up!!!

I do most of the researches and my fiancee commends me and appreciate my efforts a lot in info gathering,which no doubt has been the hallmark of our victory. because we researched to know all that we needed and secondly to find out the reason why people keep getting denials and then take the correction for a positive result. And here we are!!!!!!

3. She made it clear that she don't know much about INS thinks and is so busy at office to do findings herself,but gave me the various websites to make researches.

Even,at present,the following day after arriving Atlanta,she bought me the monthly MARTA transport ticket and said JJ, you are a journalist move around and get to know the city. Consequently, under only 8 days in Atlanta I know now know more bus routes than her!!!!!! So what are you talking about foreign and not foreign.

4. Regarding the FAQ here. I have a print out of it since over a year now,OK. But the INS is inconsistence in procedures,you should know this. To maintain grip of procedures consistent search for info must be maintained. This has been our slogan from the beginning. My fiancee shares this believe with me!!

So our joint slogan for INS procedures is "Keep searching for info and keep taking correction until success is achieved !!!!!!

From me,

JJ

Last edited by JJ&ST; May 10th 2004 at 7:27 am.
Old May 10th 2004, 7:31 am
Concierge

Excuse me, sir. You wake up. You asked about the I-551 Alien Registration Number. I responded to that very incorrect question you asked to the agent at the POE. You also asked about an EAD and questions on SS numbers and expressed disbelief that you were unable to get either just for the asking. You claim to have a copy of the FAQ. If so, you apparently have not read it or perhaps you don't comprehend English well as a second language. As a journalist perhaps you really ought to learn to research more than you obviously have in the past and have shown on this particular thread.

I am very glad that you can get around the city of Atlanta. I'm sure that asset will be of great service to you when you are employable.

I still leave you to ask any and all questions you wish and will not read nor post a reply to anything under your name.

Here's hoping our paths will never cross in real life.

Rete

Attn: RETE

Hi,

Thanks for writing in anyway.

1. But from past records,at least your responses to mine. I have observed that you don't read someones last postings and replies form members to him to know if his questions have been answered or not, before just cutting in from nowhere with funny remarks!!!! Read your responses to mine postings in the past and you will understand what I mean. I remember Jeff correcting you on this in some occasions.

Of course,I have alien registration number which was in the NOA2 and stated in my visa,lower left handside ;

Annotation:
A#............ So this is not the issue here now!!!

2. For your info also,that one is the foreign fiance or fiancee as applicable does not make him or her an ignoramus. Please wake up!!!

I do most of the researches and my fiancee commends me and appreciate my efforts a lot in info gathering,which no doubt has been the hallmark of our victory. because we researched to know all that we needed and secondly to find out the reason why people keep getting denials and then take the correction for a positive result. And here we are!!!!!!

3. She made it clear that she don't know much about INS thinks and is so busy at office to do findings herself,but gave me the various websites to make researches.

Even,at present,the following day after arriving Atlanta,she bought me the monthly MARTA transport ticket and said JJ, you are a journalist move around and get to know the city. Consequently, under only 8 days in Atlanta I know now know more bus routes than her!!!!!! So what are you talking about foreign and not foreign.

4. Regarding the FAQ here. I have a print out of it since over a year now,OK. But the INS is inconsistence in procedures,you should know this. To maintain grip of procedures consistent search for info must be maintained. This has been our slogan from the beginning. My fiancee shares this believe with me!!

So our joint slogan for INS procedures is "Keep searching for info and keep taking correction until success is achieved !!!!!!

From me,

JJ
Old May 10th 2004, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

nkem4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
Excuse me, sir. You wake up. You asked about the I-551 Alien Registration Number. I responded to that very incorrect question you asked to the agent at the POE. You also asked about an EAD and questions on SS numbers and expressed disbelief that you were unable to get either just for the asking. You claim to have a copy of the FAQ. If so, you apparently have not read it or perhaps you don't comprehend English well as a second language. As a journalist perhaps you really ought to learn to research more than you obviously have in the past and have shown on this particular thread.

I am very glad that you can get around the city of Atlanta. I'm sure that asset will be of great service to you when you are employable.

I still leave you to ask any and all questions you wish and will not read nor post a reply to anything under your name.

Here's hoping our paths will never cross in real life.

Rete
Ok enough is enough!! HOW DARE YOU RETE!! Have you no sense of diplomacy or kindness in your bone.

If it had not been for JJ (I'm the USC ST of the party by the way not the wife as yet) doing the amount of researh and inquiry he has I doubt we would have achieved a successful inteview in what is known to be one of the toughest embassies around! So your disrespecting him on this forum is totally uncalled for. Especailly from one who calls him/herself a moderator. Try moderating and not bashing ok!

If one comes to the forum they are coming to seek help regardless of how a question is posed the poster should not be subject to verbal bashings or disrespect as is common on this forum alone.

IF you tire of reading same questions over or feel the poster is not taking care to pay attention to things that are posted, then you need not reply to said poster. Do you know how to ignore posts at all or must you feel so inclined to add your two cents all the time???

*** ....If so, you apparently have not read it or perhaps you don't comprehend English well as a second language. As a journalist perhaps you really ought to learn to research more than you obviously have in the past and have shown on this particular thread....

Again, it is his particular research skill that even got us to this junciton so what you insinuate here is uncalled for an wont be tolerated! Might I add his English comprehension has nothing to do with this. How dare you be so cruel!

***...I still leave you to ask any and all questions you wish and will not read nor post a reply to anything under your name...

Probably the smartest move you could make. Especially since others are being kind enough to answer the inquires we post w/o such damn ignorance and mean naturedness as you have shown.

Last edited by nkem4ever; May 10th 2004 at 8:39 am.
Old May 10th 2004, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

nkem4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
I realize that you are the foreigner here and that your wife often posted under the same name. She might be more familiar with the procedures than you are and since she is apparently not dealing with your adjustment of status, employment authorization, social security card, etc. but you are, may I suggest that you read the root post under my name at the start of this forum dealing with the FAQ. All the questions and misconceptions you have will be answered there and corrected. Of course, you will still have more and new ones and perhaps the kind people here will be willing to assist you.

Rete
Moderator.

Here you go again. making insinuations and outright showing your ignorance to the facts.
1) I am not the wife, if you pay so much attention to what we post you will see that we are K1 filers not K3. mistake on your part or are you the one with english comprehension issues???

2) To say I am not dealing with his AOS, EAD or SSN is yet another mistake you make my dear. I simply trust his judgement and research ability along w/those on this forum and what we gather from other websites. What the hell do you know about what I'm dealing with or not??? You best to check yourself before you wreck yourself!!

3) I've not posted under the same name - really don't know where you get your information from. It is practically impossible to use same name for posting the system doesn't allow it or do you not use your moderating skills to figure this out.
Old May 10th 2004, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

ruthann1212 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nkem4ever
Here you go again. making insinuations and outright showing your ignorance to the facts.
1) I am not the wife, if you pay so much attention to what we post you will see that we are K1 filers not K3. mistake on your part or are you the one with english comprehension issues???

2) To say I am not dealing with his AOS, EAD or SSN is yet another mistake you make my dear. I simply trust his judgement and research ability along w/those on this forum and what we gather from other websites. What the hell do you know about what I'm dealing with or not??? You best to check yourself before you wreck yourself!!

3) I've not posted under the same name - really don't know where you get your information from. It is practically impossible to use same name for posting the system doesn't allow it or do you not use your moderating skills to figure this out.
HERE HERE!! YOU GO GIRL!! IMHO SHE'S A RUDE ABBRASIVE KNOW IT ALL AND IT'S ABOUT TIME SOMEONE TELLS HER SO.
Old May 10th 2004, 10:52 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ruthann1212
HERE HERE!! YOU GO GIRL!! IMHO SHE'S A RUDE ABBRASIVE KNOW IT ALL AND IT'S ABOUT TIME SOMEONE TELLS HER SO.
I'm stunned.

Rete's first two responses to JJ&ST were not rude at all. She was merely correcting his impression that the I-551 is the Alien Registration Card Number -- it is not. (FWIW, I was going to comment on that in my original response, but didn't for whatever reason.) Then she suggested he check out the FAQ if he hadn't already. In neither post was she insulting, rude or disrespectful.

If Rete was a bit rude in her third response, it was because JJ&ST was rude to her to begin with. Don't blame Rete just because you misinterpreted the tone of her posts.

Bottom line is, JJ&ST has gotten the clarification he needs, so let's just drop all the name calling, shall we?

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.