Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

EAD,SS Questions and update Driving permit and Bank account...

Wikiposts

EAD,SS Questions and update Driving permit and Bank account...

Old Jul 23rd 2004, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Gaylord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EAD,SS Questions and update Driving permit and Bank account...

Hi guys...

Ok first off all a little update... Im 34 and have to say that I have never driven before, but over here everywhere is so far away (and the fact that there is no busses going anywhere) so I decided to take my knowledge test (which I passed) and the items I used to get my driving permit were 1) English Passport 2) Vehicle registration and 3) SS card. The funny thing is my missus were giving me lessons in driving a few days ago, and I almost crashed into a Stop sign.... however Im much better now...

2) Today I actually got my bank cards... this were a complete mess, when I first went it (when I got here) they wanted a SS number, so when I got that I gave them it.. then they told me that I might be rejected because I dont have a driving permit, so I got that, and wallah as if my magic, my cards turned up today...

Anyhow now for the question.... Im bored out of my mind, its to warm here (over 105 today) and I need to work, when I filed for AOS a few weeks ago I filed my EAD at the same time... (I still have not had any paperwork or anything back yet, however the checks were only cashed last week), I from USCIS that they are processing AOS for March 2nd and EAD from May20th... are these times accurate? what I mean is, is there a chance soon that I might get my EAD? I want to work......

And last question, my ss card says that "Not valid for employment" when I do get my EAD, please tell me I dont have to apply for another card as this one took over 7 weeks to get...

Anyhow... Im off to have a cold shower as its so warm....

Thanks

Jay
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EAD,SS Questions and update Driving permit and Bank account...

Well I did the Bank before I got the SSN. However everything varies so much, State by State.

I have read contradictory stories on EAD processing, you may be lucky, but seems safe to assume that you will need to wait for the 91st day and apply for a Temp EAD.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 5:17 pm
round 2, ding-ding.

tortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nicetortoise is just really nice

Originally posted by Gaylord
Hi guys...

Ok first off all a little update... Im 34 and have to say that I have never driven before, but over here everywhere is so far away (and the fact that there is no busses going anywhere) so I decided to take my knowledge test (which I passed) and the items I used to get my driving permit were 1) English Passport 2) Vehicle registration and 3) SS card. The funny thing is my missus were giving me lessons in driving a few days ago, and I almost crashed into a Stop sign.... however Im much better now... ;)
just wanted to say good luck with the driving :) i'm in the same boat. i can't imagine how liberating it will be once i'm on the road and mobile. it's very exciting!
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 6:18 pm
Michael D. Young

Gaylord wrote:

> And last question,
    > my ss card says that "Not valid for employment" when I do get my EAD,
    > please tell me I dont have to apply for another card as this one took
    > over 7 weeks to get...

Does it have “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION� or “NOT VALID FOR
EMPLOYMENT� printed on it. If it has “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS
AUTHORIZATION" you are OK once you receive your EAD card. If if has “NOT
VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT� you are going need to apply for a replacement card and
that should have the “VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION� statement.

And yes getting a replacement card could take that long or you could have it
in a week Just depends on how long your having been issued an EAD card
takes to be verified by SSA.

Old Jul 23rd 2004, 6:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gaylord,

Congrats on getting the driver license and bank cards! As for the EAD, it's so hard to guess....be prepared just in case you have to get the interim one on the 91st day. The social security card probably says "Valid for work only with DHS authorization", right? You won't have to get another one until you become a PR and can work w/o the EAD. Once you get an EAD (either the interim or the real one), you show that in conjunction with your SS card to prove you can work.

Best Wishes!
Rene
Old Jul 24th 2004, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Gaylord is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Noorah101
Hi Gaylord,

Congrats on getting the driver license and bank cards! As for the EAD, it's so hard to guess....be prepared just in case you have to get the interim one on the 91st day. The social security card probably says "Valid for work only with DHS authorization", right? You won't have to get another one until you become a PR and can work w/o the EAD. Once you get an EAD (either the interim or the real one), you show that in conjunction with your SS card to prove you can work.

Best Wishes!
Rene

Hi Rene,

Hope you had a good break

Im really confused on the SS issues, its not the one that says the DHS authorization.. however I thought that a SS# was for life, so if I get my EAD then I have to go back to the SS office and get a new card.... oh joy what would happen if I got my EAD, then applied for a new card, and in the meantime whilst it comes I apply and got a job? Is this not allowed?

A few weeks ago I started looking around to see what work is around in the area that I live in (I only live in a small town 3500 people) and so will have to travel around 20 miles a day to a bigger town, I've contacted a few companies there to see what jobs they have to offer, and a few have informed me that as soon as I get my EAD to contact them so they can start me.

Only reason I want to work, is 1 to get out of the house and 2) so it does not feel like im sponging of my missus, I've never been unemployed before and it is without a doubt mind numbing, there's only so many times I can catch the same fish in the river

Tortoise, it is really good driving and I cant believe that Its took me so long to learn, I guess one of the reasons is that in the UK, gas is so high, and so is car insurance, and road tax... However today I actually took the car on the main motorway (interstate) and came off, haha its great fun.... although my missus has aged around 20 years in the past few days..... yesterday I got so mad, I was at the stop sign, to turn off, and this jerk behind me was honking his horn like mad, Geeze... that frustrated me... anyhow good look with the driving

Jay

p/s, thanks for everyone who took the time to read/answer this post.
Old Jul 24th 2004, 11:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gaylord
Hi Rene,

Hope you had a good break

Im really confused on the SS issues, its not the one that says the DHS authorization.. however I thought that a SS# was for life, so if I get my EAD then I have to go back to the SS office and get a new card.... oh joy what would happen if I got my EAD, then applied for a new card, and in the meantime whilst it comes I apply and got a job? Is this not allowed?

A few weeks ago I started looking around to see what work is around in the area that I live in (I only live in a small town 3500 people) and so will have to travel around 20 miles a day to a bigger town, I've contacted a few companies there to see what jobs they have to offer, and a few have informed me that as soon as I get my EAD to contact them so they can start me.

Only reason I want to work, is 1 to get out of the house and 2) so it does not feel like im sponging of my missus, I've never been unemployed before and it is without a doubt mind numbing, there's only so many times I can catch the same fish in the river

Tortoise, it is really good driving and I cant believe that Its took me so long to learn, I guess one of the reasons is that in the UK, gas is so high, and so is car insurance, and road tax... However today I actually took the car on the main motorway (interstate) and came off, haha its great fun.... although my missus has aged around 20 years in the past few days..... yesterday I got so mad, I was at the stop sign, to turn off, and this jerk behind me was honking his horn like mad, Geeze... that frustrated me... anyhow good look with the driving

Jay

p/s, thanks for everyone who took the time to read/answer this post.
Hi Jay,

I still don't think you need to change your SS card until you get permanent residency. Because even with a regular EAD, you'll still get a SS card that says valid only with DHS authorization. That doesn't get eliminated until you no longer need an EAD to work....which is down the road when you get the PR stamp.

Even if you DID want to exchange your SS card, you'll still keep the same number, and in the meantime SS office will give you a letter saying you are waiting for a replacement card. Show the EAD and the letter from SS, and that's you proof of work authorization. When you get the actual SS card, let your employer know...they will probably photocopy it for their records.

Hope you get working soon! And congrats on learning to drive...my hubby still has that to deal with in the near future. I'll probably feel :scared: when he starts driving, too!! LOL

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 24th 2004, 4:05 pm
Michael D. Young

Gaylord wrote:

> Originally posted by Noorah101
    > > Hi Gaylord,
    > >
    > >
    > Congrats on getting the driver license and bank cards! As for the EAD,
    > it's so hard to guess....be prepared just in case you have to get the
    > interim one on the 91st day. The social security card probably says
    > "Valid for work only with DHS authorization", right? You won't have to
    > get another one until you become a PR and can work w/o the EAD. Once
    > you get an EAD (either the interim or the real one), you show that in
    > conjunction with your SS card to prove you can work.
    > >
    > > Best Wishes!
    > > Rene
    > Hi Rene,
    > Hope you had a good break
    > Im really
    > confused on the SS issues, its not the one that says the DHS
    > authorization.. however I thought that a SS# was for life, so if I get
    > my EAD then I have to go back to the SS office and get a new card....
    > oh joy what would happen if I got my EAD, then applied for a new
    > card, and in the meantime whilst it comes I apply and got a job?

Look the EAD will be your authorization to work not your SSN card, so there
is no reason to not take a job. However, if the SSA office screwed up an
issued you an SSN card that has “NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT� printed on it,
you have a nonwork SSN and there will be a code on your SSN record that
indicates that. SSA is supposed to report to immigration when wages are
reported on a nonwork SSN. You might never have a problem, but why take
the chance when you can easily apply for a replacement card once you have
your EAD card.

GN 03310.035 Disclosure Without Consent - Law Enforcement:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0203310035#C6

6. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS)

b. Other Disclosures to INS

SSA has other procedures for providing information to INS in special cases.
These special cases are never handled in FOs:

-- Identification of aliens who have posted earnings, but were issued
non-work SSNs.

GN 03320.015 Tax Return - Disclosure Without Consent:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0203320015#B2

B. KINDS OF APPROVED DISCLOSURES

2. Disclosures to Other Federal Agencies

Disclosure may be made to the following Federal agencies. All of these
inquiries should be referred to OPR.

Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization Service:

SSA screens non-work SSNs against earnings records to determine if an alien
not authorized to work has posted earnings, and sends a list of such aliens
with posted earnings to INS for necessary action.

RM 00203.570 Actions Required When Lawfully Admitted Alien's Status
Changes:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203570

2. Alien Has An SSN

a. Alien Is Now a Nonimmigrant Allowed To Work

1. Do a NUMIDENT query. Check the IDN code. Is the IDN code shown as “N?�

If yes, go to Step 4.

4. Tell applicant that we will issue a new SSN card.

Examine evidence of identity and current work authorized lawful alien
status.

RM 00202.235 Form SS-5 - Evidence (IDN) Codes

N - The applicant is an alien not authorized to work in the U.S., but
provided a valid nonwork reason for needing an SSN.