Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

EAD screw up. Need Guidance Please.

EAD screw up. Need Guidance Please.

Old Aug 11th 2004, 3:28 am
Just Joined

Zee-man is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry EAD screw up. Need Guidance Please.

Hi all

First of all thanks to all the people that keep active part on this forum. It’s very informative and has answers to some questions CIS never would dream to put on their web site or train their customer support people to answer.

I’ve read what I could find regarding my issue but still couldn’t find much info. So I decided to post a new thread. I hope you could share your experience or suggestions since the 1-800 # CIS provides is totally worthless.

I’ve had hell of a time getting EAD. Submitted the i765 to Indy office in March, waited for 90 days - nothing. Went up to the office on 91st day and they gave me the temporary EAD and told me that I could go ahead and apply for social security number. Couple of days later when I went in the Social Security office I discovered that my A# was printed by error on temp EAD, so I had to go back up to Indy CIS and get another one, this time everything was correct. They told me at Social Security that since I've just gotten a card it would take some time for me to get in the "system", I kept checking every week and they haven't been able to confirm my documents in the “system”. Yesterday I received the original EAD right for my birthday, surprise, surprise.... My date of birth was printed by error too. Went to SS, they said that I was in the "system" already but since both on the card and in the system my birth date is wrong I should first straighten that out before they can assign me a SS#. Then I called the 800 # and talked to 2 different people but the information they gave me was totally different from each other. So I have absolutely no clue what I should do. I can’t forgive myself that I printed my DOB on the application dd/mm/yy instead of mm/dd/yy which is the way it was supposed to be. I guess some habits are very hard to die. I have a feeling I’ll have to start the whole process over from scratch again, although I’d be more than happy to pay the fee again, I absolutely can’t afford not to work for another 3+ months.

There were several things I was thinking so I’d like to run them with you see how inappropriate you think they might be.

1. Thought just withdraw my application from SS in which I’ve filed, go to other SS office elsewhere and reapply for SS# pretending everything’s OK and just by putting my DOB as it is on the card and in the system, and after I’d been issued a # then go back confess that I’ve made a mistake on the application and have the DOB changed. I understand that’s not very legal but desperate times call for desperate measures. I’m not even sure this will work too cause it might be so that once in the SS system always in the system and every SS office in the country might pull up my name and deny me a #, I might screw it up even worse than it is now.

2. Just ignore the original EAD and try to get a job solely on my temporary EAD since all the info on it is correct and it’s valid for another 8 months I don’t think that should be an issue except I won’t be able to get a SS# and I’ll probably have hard time if any luck at all getting a job without SS# and only with the EAD (although it says that I’m eligible to work anywhere I want to). And when the AOS interview comes just bring that issue up there and get it resolved. As I understand I don’t even need a EAD once I get a stamp in the passport or permanent resident card.

Can anyone give me any words of wisdom on this? What's the procedure, what should I expect and how long this thing will take. Also has anyone had any luck getting hired with temp EAD only without having a SS#? I'm going to give that a shot but I have doubts anyone will want to consider hiring an alien without SS#. Any remarks/suggestions are very highly welcomed.

Thanks everyone beforehand for your help.

Zee
Old Aug 12th 2004, 8:35 am
US resident at last :)

mstracy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: EAD screw up. Need Guidance Please.

Originally Posted by Zee-man
Hi all

First of all thanks to all the people that keep active part on this forum. It’s very informative and has answers to some questions CIS never would dream to put on their web site or train their customer support people to answer.

I’ve read what I could find regarding my issue but still couldn’t find much info. So I decided to post a new thread. I hope you could share your experience or suggestions since the 1-800 # CIS provides is totally worthless.

I’ve had hell of a time getting EAD. Submitted the i765 to Indy office in March, waited for 90 days - nothing. Went up to the office on 91st day and they gave me the temporary EAD and told me that I could go ahead and apply for social security number. Couple of days later when I went in the Social Security office I discovered that my A# was printed by error on temp EAD, so I had to go back up to Indy CIS and get another one, this time everything was correct. They told me at Social Security that since I've just gotten a card it would take some time for me to get in the "system", I kept checking every week and they haven't been able to confirm my documents in the “system�. Yesterday I received the original EAD right for my birthday, surprise, surprise.... My date of birth was printed by error too. Went to SS, they said that I was in the "system" already but since both on the card and in the system my birth date is wrong I should first straighten that out before they can assign me a SS#. Then I called the 800 # and talked to 2 different people but the information they gave me was totally different from each other. So I have absolutely no clue what I should do. I can’t forgive myself that I printed my DOB on the application dd/mm/yy instead of mm/dd/yy which is the way it was supposed to be. I guess some habits are very hard to die. I have a feeling I’ll have to start the whole process over from scratch again, although I’d be more than happy to pay the fee again, I absolutely can’t afford not to work for another 3+ months.

There were several things I was thinking so I’d like to run them with you see how inappropriate you think they might be.

1. Thought just withdraw my application from SS in which I’ve filed, go to other SS office elsewhere and reapply for SS# pretending everything’s OK and just by putting my DOB as it is on the card and in the system, and after I’d been issued a # then go back confess that I’ve made a mistake on the application and have the DOB changed. I understand that’s not very legal but desperate times call for desperate measures. I’m not even sure this will work too cause it might be so that once in the SS system always in the system and every SS office in the country might pull up my name and deny me a #, I might screw it up even worse than it is now.

2. Just ignore the original EAD and try to get a job solely on my temporary EAD since all the info on it is correct and it’s valid for another 8 months I don’t think that should be an issue except I won’t be able to get a SS# and I’ll probably have hard time if any luck at all getting a job without SS# and only with the EAD (although it says that I’m eligible to work anywhere I want to). And when the AOS interview comes just bring that issue up there and get it resolved. As I understand I don’t even need a EAD once I get a stamp in the passport or permanent resident card.

Can anyone give me any words of wisdom on this? What's the procedure, what should I expect and how long this thing will take. Also has anyone had any luck getting hired with temp EAD only without having a SS#? I'm going to give that a shot but I have doubts anyone will want to consider hiring an alien without SS#. Any remarks/suggestions are very highly welcomed.

Thanks everyone beforehand for your help.

Zee

I thought I'd reply here mainly to bump this post, but also to add an opinion. I think your option 2 is the one I would go for. It's legal, won't complicate things further and has only a minor drawback in as much as you will have to convince any prospective employer that not having your SSN is not a problem and that it will be resolved in due course. The legalities are OK as you only have to show that a number will be issued at some point. Like I said, it's only my opinion. Good luck.

Mark
Old Aug 12th 2004, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mstracy
I thought I'd reply here mainly to bump this post, but also to add an opinion. I think your option 2 is the one I would go for. It's legal, won't complicate things further and has only a minor drawback in as much as you will have to convince any prospective employer that not having your SSN is not a problem and that it will be resolved in due course. The legalities are OK as you only have to show that a number will be issued at some point. Like I said, it's only my opinion. Good luck.

Mark
Thanks Mark for your thought.
I'm leaning towards option 2 also, but I know it won't be easy. Today I'm going to the immigration office to see what they tell me I should do if i want to correct the card.

Also would anyone know if an employer can use an A# instead of SS# to process the paperwork necessary to hire someone? I've even got a letter from SS office saying that I've applied for # and it's taking them time to verifiy all the documents with CIS so I have all I can have that's necessary to convince an employer that I'm waiting on #. I really hope this will work out. I'm still open to any ideas.

THanks again Mark,
Zee
Old Aug 12th 2004, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Mark for your thought.
I'm leaning towards option 2 also, but I know it won't be easy. Today I'm going to the immigration office to see what they tell me I should do if i want to correct the card.

Also would anyone know if an employer can use an A# instead of SS# to process the paperwork necessary to hire someone? I've even got a letter from SS office saying that I've applied for # and it's taking them time to verifiy all the documents with CIS so I have all I can have that's necessary to convince an employer that I'm waiting on #. I really hope this will work out. I'm still open to any ideas.

THanks again Mark,
Zee
I don't know all the laws 100%, but when an employer is filling out an I-9 (work authorization form) you have to show 2 proofs of identity that prove you can work. The EAD would be one, and the SSN card as another. I think you can show the letter from the SSA showing you've applied, but you still only have a very limited amount of time to produce your SSN card (maybe 30-60 day?). If you do not, then I think the company is supposed to terminate you for work ineligibility.

I really don't know the ins and outs of this section of law, all I do know is that for my K1 husband to work, he had to have the EAD and the SSN as proof of work authorization.

I think I would be more willing to try #1 as the only thing incorrect on there is your DOB. You may be able to get that fixed later, or to be honest, don't really know how important that is. I don't think I'd be willing to use the temp. EAD with the incorrect A#. I don't know if anyone on here would be able to truly advise what the best thing to do is.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 4:48 am
Just Joined

Default Update On Ead Screw Up...

Thanks everyone for your attention even if you just read my story and had nothing to advice. I find this website and people participating in it tremendously helpful.

Thought you might like to hear an update on my situation, so here it is.

I went up to Indy CIS office on Thursday and talked to an officer, explained my situation and asked her what I needed to do. She said if it was the CIS’s mistake then I would need to send in a letter of explanation, card with the receipt it came with, and originally filed form. But if it was my mistake then I’d need to start the whole process over again, that sure made me very nervous since I knew it was my fault the DOB on EAD got screwed up to begin with. But then after a while of talking with her and explaining that I already had a temporary EAD which had all the data on there correctly but Social Security Administration still wouldn’t assign me a # since every time they checked in the system my DOB was wrong. So, she looked something up in the computer and asked me if she could take copies of my EAD and passport so that she could ask her supervisor if she could just go ahead and change the DOB in the system right away. I said OF COURSE… unfortunately I couldn’t stay and wait for her supervisor to get back from “lunch brake” cause I had to pick up my wife after work. I asked her if I could come tomorrow for an answer, she said yes, she’d ask her supervisor and next day when I’d come in I could just walk up to the window instead of waiting in line for 2 hours and she’d give me a quick yes or no. So I went there again today, just as she promised gave me a quick YES, and told me that she’d already changed my DOB in the system and that SS should now be able to verify my EAD without any problem. I thanked her a lot and left the CIS office. I have to mention that lady that was working on my problem was extremely nice, knowledgeable and courteous. Actually with all my encounters at Indy’s CIS office I’ve always been pleased by their professionalism and courtesy.

Anyhow, after leaving CIS I immediately went to SSA and after waiting in line for 1.5 hours finally got to talk to a lady which I had to explain whole deal over again. She was making me nervous too, cause it didn’t seem like she understood what I was saying, she’d always go back to talking about something else while I was trying to tell her what the problem was and what I and CIS did to correct it. But finally she checked my name in the system and said, well, everything looks good now so we’ll just go ahead and process your case. I wasn’t ready for any answer other than that, I might have just gone crazy if that hadn’t worked either. So on Monday I’ll be going back to SSA this time with an appointment letter so I won’t have to wait and I’ll get my number on some kind of print out, so that I can start applying for jobs and take the driver’s license test and stuff like that…. I’m extremely happy it worked out. I’ll be using my temp EAD for now, and won’t worry about my original EAD (with wrong DOB) until AOS interview.

I guess you just have to keep on it all the time and you’ll get it done eventually. Fortunately I didn’t have to jump through the hoops all over again. Thanks everyone for your support, it sure came in handy when I needed it the most.

With best regards
Old Aug 14th 2004, 8:35 am
US resident at last :)

mstracy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Update On Ead Screw Up...

Thanks everyone for your attention even if you just read my story and had nothing to advice. I find this website and people participating in it tremendously helpful.

Thought you might like to hear an update on my situation, so here it is.

I went up to Indy CIS office on Thursday and talked to an officer, explained my situation and asked her what I needed to do. She said if it was the CIS’s mistake then I would need to send in a letter of explanation, card with the receipt it came with, and originally filed form. But if it was my mistake then I’d need to start the whole process over again, that sure made me very nervous since I knew it was my fault the DOB on EAD got screwed up to begin with. But then after a while of talking with her and explaining that I already had a temporary EAD which had all the data on there correctly but Social Security Administration still wouldn’t assign me a # since every time they checked in the system my DOB was wrong. So, she looked something up in the computer and asked me if she could take copies of my EAD and passport so that she could ask her supervisor if she could just go ahead and change the DOB in the system right away. I said OF COURSE… unfortunately I couldn’t stay and wait for her supervisor to get back from “lunch brake� cause I had to pick up my wife after work. I asked her if I could come tomorrow for an answer, she said yes, she’d ask her supervisor and next day when I’d come in I could just walk up to the window instead of waiting in line for 2 hours and she’d give me a quick yes or no. So I went there again today, just as she promised gave me a quick YES, and told me that she’d already changed my DOB in the system and that SS should now be able to verify my EAD without any problem. I thanked her a lot and left the CIS office. I have to mention that lady that was working on my problem was extremely nice, knowledgeable and courteous. Actually with all my encounters at Indy’s CIS office I’ve always been pleased by their professionalism and courtesy.

Anyhow, after leaving CIS I immediately went to SSA and after waiting in line for 1.5 hours finally got to talk to a lady which I had to explain whole deal over again. She was making me nervous too, cause it didn’t seem like she understood what I was saying, she’d always go back to talking about something else while I was trying to tell her what the problem was and what I and CIS did to correct it. But finally she checked my name in the system and said, well, everything looks good now so we’ll just go ahead and process your case. I wasn’t ready for any answer other than that, I might have just gone crazy if that hadn’t worked either. So on Monday I’ll be going back to SSA this time with an appointment letter so I won’t have to wait and I’ll get my number on some kind of print out, so that I can start applying for jobs and take the driver’s license test and stuff like that…. I’m extremely happy it worked out. I’ll be using my temp EAD for now, and won’t worry about my original EAD (with wrong DOB) until AOS interview.

I guess you just have to keep on it all the time and you’ll get it done eventually. Fortunately I didn’t have to jump through the hoops all over again. Thanks everyone for your support, it sure came in handy when I needed it the most.

With best regards

Conmgratulations on sorting it all out. It's always good to hear when problems are resolved in a relatively painless way.

Mark