Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

EAD renewal card - RIDICULOUS!

EAD renewal card - RIDICULOUS!

Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Susie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EAD renewal card - RIDICULOUS!

My current EAD card says it expires Feb 2, 2005. From what I've read here, processing has been taking forever so to be on the safe side, many recommend applying for your renewal around 6 months before expiration just to make sure you aren't stuck in a gap without valid work authorization.

OK, so that's what I did. I applied for my renewal card in August (6 months before expiration). Well I got the card today, approximately 3 months later...which is cool... but the expiration is ONE YEAR FROM APPROVAL!! Which is Nov. 2, 2005! That means it only extended my authorization for 6 months past my current one? For $175 bucks?

Is this how it works, or is it a mistake? Why do they ask on the form when my current one expires if they didn't plan on starting the "renewal" when the old one expires! This seems like quite a scam to me to be paying almost $200 every 6 months just to have permission to work.

Anyone else wanna give me feedback? Thanks!
Old Nov 9th 2004, 1:55 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: EAD renewal card - RIDICULOUS!

It's one of their cash cows, unfortunately. I lost 4 months off of my prior EAD because of it.

The is that now they are dragging their heels on renewing my current card, and I may have to stop working on the 16th. GG USCIS!
Old Nov 9th 2004, 2:13 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Susie
Is this how it works, or is it a mistake?
No mistake - that's how it works.

Why do they ask on the form when my current one expires if they didn't plan on starting the "renewal" when the old one expires!
They ask because they're interested. There is no indication that the date you provide will be the effective date of the new EAD.

This seems like quite a scam to me to be paying almost $200 every 6 months just to have permission to work.
Perhaps next time you'll do a bit of research on various office turnarounds before forking out the money!

Ian
Old Nov 9th 2004, 3:22 am
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

That raises a question for me I received my work permit today, valid for one year, (I came over on a K1 visa) my adjustment of status interview im told will be around march.
Do I have to keep renewing my work card every year untill I become a US citizen?
Will the adjustment of status (making me a permenant resident) mean that I do not have to renew it?
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:27 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

My current EAD card says it expires Feb 2, 2005. From what I've read here, processing has been taking forever so to be on the safe side, many recommend applying for your renewal around 6 months before expiration just to make sure you aren't stuck in a gap without valid work authorization.

OK, so that's what I did. I applied for my renewal card in August (6 months before expiration). Well I got the card today, approximately 3 months later...which is cool... but the expiration is ONE YEAR FROM APPROVAL!! Which is Nov. 2, 2005! That means it only extended my authorization for 6 months past my current one? For $175 bucks?

Is this how it works, or is it a mistake? Why do they ask on the form when my current one expires if they didn't plan on starting the "renewal" when the old one expires! This seems like quite a scam to me to be paying almost $200 every 6 months just to have permission to work.

Susie you're a K3er right? Going on that premise, (and if I'm wrong, sorry), you should have gotten an EAD which was valid for 2 years from the date of your activating the K3. So going on that, and from other posting it seems that "the powers that be" think your 130 will be approved within that time, allowing you to file for AOS (if you haven't already) or do CP for the CPR or PR.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Susie you're a K3er right? you should have gotten an EAD which was valid for 2 years from the date of your activating the K3.
Yes, the 2 years will be up this February, so that's why I was renewing my EAD, and now my so-called 'renewal' is only valid for an additional 6 months (until Nov 2, 2005)

Originally Posted by cindyabs
So going on that, and from other posting it seems that "the powers that be" think your 130 will be approved within that time, allowing you to file for AOS (if you haven't already) or do CP for the CPR or PR.
My I-130 has already been approved. I had to wait for approval before Memphis would let me file AOS. I filed in August and Memphis is currently working on March 2002 for AOS applications! So from the sounds of it, I will have to renew my EAD another 3 times possibly.

I was considering going through Montreal for consulate processing of my I-130 but I have an 11 month old and had been flying alot and wasn't looking forward to another flight - but now I really really wish I had opted for that route. Oh well.... live and learn....

I thought I had figured this whole immigration thing out, only be thrown another loop as usual!

Thanks for your help guys!
Old Nov 9th 2004, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Jana is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mikehope
That raises a question for me I received my work permit today, valid for one year, (I came over on a K1 visa) my adjustment of status interview im told will be around march.
Do I have to keep renewing my work card every year untill I become a US citizen?
Will the adjustment of status (making me a permenant resident) mean that I do not have to renew it?
Once you get your permanent residence your "Green Card" will be used as work authorization. No need to get EADs after that.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 1:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This seems like quite a scam to me to be paying almost $200 every 6 months just to have permission to work.

6 months? I read Feb to Nov as 9 months. Are you using a new form of mathematics? Also you might be adjusted by November and won't need a new EAD. Or you could go to the DO and ask to have the card "adjusted" to the start date of when your current card ends. Who knows, they just might be accommodating ;-)

Look at it this way, you took the prudent route by applying within 6 months of the current card's expiration date. Even the CIS site says to do this. The fact that the NBC is getting quicker is what is causing you a problem. It is hoped that the ability to continue working makes the outlay of $200 a drop in the bucket. Try to keep it in prespective and not get so bent out of shape. At least you can continue working while poor Nathan will have to take unpaid leave because his renewal has come through.

Rete
Old Nov 9th 2004, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Perhaps next time you'll do a bit of research on various office turnarounds before forking out the money!
I didn't know that the effective date would be immediately upon approval. I thought that it would take effect as soon as my current one expires and so I thought I was being prudent and ahead of schedule.

If they did it properly in a way that actually helped us, then it would have worked out well, but I didn't realize that they are working against us.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
6 months? I read Feb to Nov as 9 months.
Yup, you're right... I'm not sure why I thought 6 instead of 9. Thanks for correcting me. That's not as bad I guess.

Also you might be adjusted by November and won't need a new EAD.
I seriously doubt that. According to the USCIS website, Memphis is working on March 2002 right now.

Or you could go to the DO and ask to have the card "adjusted" to the start date of when your current card ends. Who knows, they just might be accommodating ;-)
It's quite a drive and I'm not looking forward to sitting in an immigration office all day with a fiesty 11 month old, especially for something that might not even be granted.

Try to keep it in prespective and not get so bent out of shape. At least you can continue working while poor Nathan will have to take unpaid leave because his renewal has come through.
That's a good point... thanks for perspective.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 2:57 pm
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

true, it does seem like a money grab and that sucks.. however, for 165 you just bought some more time that you might not have had.. if your card had expired and you were out of work I guess you'd be out a lot more money..

always look on the bright side of life..

oh sure, I say that now!! I will probably be saying the same thing a year from now.. I am just a little peeved that I dont have a card at all yet.. but I gotta wait my turn just like everyone else...
Old Nov 14th 2004, 1:28 pm
Brenda Ballard

Susie
what is your timeline for the 485....we also
filed in Memphis....
Our timeline is we filed the 485 in March of
this year......and my husband is going this
Friday for his fingerprinting for this work
visa renewal.....
Do you know if it will take long for him
to get the renewal.....

BB

Old Nov 14th 2004, 5:06 pm
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nathan barley
It's one of their cash cows, unfortunately. I lost 4 months off of my prior EAD because of it.

The is that now they are dragging their heels on renewing my current card, and I may have to stop working on the 16th. GG USCIS!
Did you look into finding out if showing proof that you have applied for EAD renewal makes it ok ot continue to work? I think i posted that to you a little while ago maybe. The I-90 form says that it is acceptable for the employer to hire someone if the employee can show proof of application of EAD and then provided the actual EAD in 90 days.

I would think that same rule would appy to renewal, as well as with original employment. Or at least an argument could be made for that, should the need arise.

Good Luck!
Marnee

Last edited by USA & Pakistan; Nov 14th 2004 at 5:09 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2004, 7:20 pm
Olivier Wagner

You only need to apply 90 days in advance. That's what an interim EAD
is here for.
So if after 90 days from appying, you don't have your new card, you
can get an interim one at your local office.

Susie <member2594@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected] om>...
    > > 6 months? I read Feb to Nov as 9 months. Are you using a new form of
    > > mathematics? Also you might be adjusted by November and won't need a
    > > new EAD. Or you could go to the DO and ask to have the card
    > > "adjusted" to the start date of when your current card ends. Who
    > > knows, they just might be accommodating ;-)
    > >
    > > Look at it this way, you took the prudent route by applying within 6
    > > months of the current card's expiration date. Even the CIS site says
    > > to do this. The fact that the NBC is getting quicker is what is
    > > causing you a problem. It is hoped that the ability to continue
    > > working makes the outlay of $200 a drop in the bucket. Try to keep it
    > > in prespective and not get so bent out of shape. At least you can
    > > continue working while poor Nathan will have to take unpaid leave
    > > because his renewal has come through.
    > >
    > > Rete
    >
    > Yup, you're right... I'm not sure why I thought 6 instead of 9. Thanks
    > for correcting me. That's not as bad I guess.
    >
    >
    > I seriously doubt that. According to the USCIS website, Memphis is
    > working on March 2002 right now.
    >
    >
    > It's quite a drive and I'm not looking forward to sitting in an
    > immigration office all day with a fiesty 11 month old, especially for
    > something that might not even be granted.
    >
    >
    > That's a good point... thanks for perspective.

Old Nov 14th 2004, 8:50 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by souls canuck
true, it does seem like a money grab and that sucks.. however, for 165 you just bought some more time that you might not have had.. if your card had expired and you were out of work I guess you'd be out a lot more money.
That's true! Think of it this way, Susie -- by getting the 9-month EAD extension, it's actually only costing you $18.33/month, or about $0.60/day. That's a helluva lot better than having no income at all!

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.