Wikiposts

EAD Renewal

Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:51 am
Just Joined

thompo81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EAD Renewal

Hi Guys,
some quick question about a renewal EAD.
I applied for the renewal (it expires in about 90 days...hope that is enough), and have read the instructions which say i need to send almost the exact information for the first one (minus the I-94), but also including the front and back of my current EAD card. I applied online, should I just go ahead and send the info immediately before I get the confirmation receipt?
Also, if there is a delay with the EAD, what responsibility do I have with my job? do i tell my employer? Do i take unpaid leave for the interim?
Appreciate your help as always!
Phil
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD Renewal

Originally Posted by thompo81
I applied online, should I just go ahead and send the info immediately before I get the confirmation receipt?
I'm not entirely sure, but I would think you would need to send the confirmation receipt along with, to prove you paid (do you pay online?), or so they have something to match up with once they receive your backup info.

Also, if there is a delay with the EAD, what responsibility do I have with my job? do i tell my employer? Do i take unpaid leave for the interim?
Technically you're not supposed to work if you have a gap in your work authorization. I don't know if the employer will realize it - and if he doesn't, the work will be forgiven by USCIS - but if someone knows it and reports it, the employer could get in big trouble. Unpaid leave is a good idea.

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I'm not entirely sure, but I would think you would need to send the confirmation receipt along with, to prove you paid (do you pay online?), or so they have something to match up with once they receive your backup info.

Technically you're not supposed to work if you have a gap in your work authorization. I don't know if the employer will realize it - and if he doesn't, the work will be forgiven by USCIS - but if someone knows it and reports it, the employer could get in big trouble. Unpaid leave is a good idea.

Rene
Thanks Rene,
you are always such help. I was just on the USCIS website and it said to give 120 days for the application. I was sure it was 90 days....oh well!
How would i prove the fact that i was on unpaid leave as opposed to working?
I am thinking it would be very unlikely that I was reported, who would do such a thing? No-one round here knows my situation...they all think that because I am married it is all sorted.
Is there anything I should be worried about if I do work in the interim?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I was just on the USCIS website and it said to give 120 days for the application. I was sure it was 90 days....oh well!
I think in reality it really is more like 90 days.

I guess you wouldn't have paystubs for that period of time, or you would be on the company records as taking unpaid time off, leave of absence, something like that.

I am thinking it would be very unlikely that I was reported, who would do such a thing? No-one round here knows my situation...they all think that because I am married it is all sorted.
I agree, it's unlikely to be a problem. As long as you're aware that it could be a problem for your employer, it's up to you to continue working or not. I don't know how large your company is...here at ours, we get audited here and there, and if an audit occurred while someone was working here unauthorized, it would be found out.

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

mikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Rene,
you are always such help. I was just on the USCIS website and it said to give 120 days for the application. I was sure it was 90 days....oh well!
I had a similar situation recently and only applied for the EAD about 40 days before the current one expired. I was not sure whether to tell my employer or not, although my renewal EAD arrived two days before the current one expired. Anyway, basically my employer said that they were going to go for the unpaid leave option, but I guess that varies from employer to employer.
I am not sure whether it was coincidence or planning from USCIS that the renewal arrived in line with the expiration of the other one. USCIS seems to get a lot of stick on the forum, although in my limited experience they have been quite organized with my EAD applications.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikec81
I had a similar situation recently and only applied for the EAD about 40 days before the current one expired. I was not sure whether to tell my employer or not, although my renewal EAD arrived two days before the current one expired. Anyway, basically my employer said that they were going to go for the unpaid leave option, but I guess that varies from employer to employer.
I am not sure whether it was coincidence or planning from USCIS that the renewal arrived in line with the expiration of the other one. USCIS seems to get a lot of stick on the forum, although in my limited experience they have been quite organized with my EAD applications.
did you apply online?
all i need to send is the same stuff as the first time with a front and back copy of current EAD?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

mikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to behold

did you apply online?
all i need to send is the same stuff as the first time with a front and back copy of current EAD?
I replied by mail, so cant help with what you need to send. I basically sent the same things as when I applied for the original (although the fee nearly doubled!!!). I remember that they said that it would be processed quicker if I sent the detachable slip on the letter that was sent with the original EAD.
Hope that helps
Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:59 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you print the confirmation receipt at the time you file?

Submitting Supporting Documentation