Wikiposts

EAD question

Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:32 am
Andrew David Pratt

Default EAD question

Hi,

I am currently awaiting my consular interview in the UK before joining my
fiancee in the US. I also have a job offer.
One thing that concerns me is the time I read it takes to get an Employment
Authorisation Document (EAD). I found a www site that indicates which ports
of entry will issue EADs, but I'm told they only last 90 days. My concern
is that any temporary EAD I might get at the port of entry will expire
before I can get my adjustment of status sorted (we are getting married the
week I arrive). I'm concerned that if my EAD expires that I will have to
cease working.

Does anyone else have any experience of this, as any advice would be very
much appreciated? Thanks.

- Andrew

Old Sep 26th 2006, 5:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD question

Originally Posted by Andrew David Pratt
Hi,

cease working.

- Andrew
Hi Andrew,

You've hit the problem right on the head. There's not much that can be done about it. If it's OK with your employer, you can take some time off during the gap between work authorizations. Some people continue working during the gap, unauthorized. If this happens, it's typically forigiven by USCIS. The problem lies with whether it's OK with the employer to allow you to continue working during that gap or not.

One word of advice though, apply for your SSN before getting married. It goes a lot smoother that way. You might have to wait a week or 10 days after your arrival, so you'll be in their system at SS.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 26th 2006, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

If you manage to get a 90 day stamp, and immediately get married/apply for AOS/EAD, you should theoretically only have a week or two where you can't work... I know realistically doing that wouldnt be too easy though
Old Sep 26th 2006, 6:44 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrea874
If you manage to get a 90 day stamp, and immediately get married/apply for AOS/EAD, you should theoretically only have a week or two where you can't work... I know realistically doing that wouldnt be too easy though
And for anyone contemplating this strategy, bear in mind that many AOS packets seem to be getting an RFE for the I-864. This can delay the EAD significantly---don't play it too close, be prepared for a gap, and triple check your I-864+evidence before mailing!
Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
And for anyone contemplating this strategy, bear in mind that many AOS packets seem to be getting an RFE for the I-864. This can delay the EAD significantly---don't play it too close, be prepared for a gap, and triple check your I-864+evidence before mailing!
This happened to me. I sat down with my completed packet and made a copy of the contents in order and assembled my duplicate packet. I got RFE'd for a missing translation of the foreign birth certificate and for not submitting section 7 (assets for consideration). Strangely I had the translation in my copy of the packet and the instructions clearly state that assets are not required if you meet 125% poverty guidelines.

I re-submitted the translation and a cover letter referring them to their own instructions and the packet is now in the system.

ALP
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:01 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: EAD question

Originally Posted by Andrew David Pratt
Hi,

cease working.

- Andrew
MMMMMM!! That reminds me, I have to apply for a new Work Permit next month. $180 now!!
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:03 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lpdiver
This happened to me. I sat down with my completed packet and made a copy of the contents in order and assembled my duplicate packet. I got RFE'd for a missing translation of the foreign birth certificate and for not submitting section 7 (assets for consideration). Strangely I had the translation in my copy of the packet and the instructions clearly state that assets are not required if you meet 125% poverty guidelines.

I re-submitted the translation and a cover letter referring them to their own instructions and the packet is now in the system.

ALP
They're evil, what can I say?

Or maybe more accurately, they're God's own private mystery.