Wikiposts

EAD Question......

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 5:15 am
Just Joined

mippet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EAD Question......

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am currently on OPT and it expires June 26th, 2005. I will be married on June 16th in a civil ceremony (Actual wedding day is in October), I will be filing everything by express mail to Chicago two days later. My question is this, in my application I have applied for a new EAD, during the period between my current EAD expiring, and physically recieving (Actually in my hand) the new EAD, can I work or must I suspend my work. If I have to stop working, is there a way to expedite the new EAD, so I would recieve it earlier than the expected 90 days? As my employer would want me working again very soon.
If I didn't stop working, would this create problems in my interview.

I ask this, as I have recieved conflicting stories.

Thanks.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 5:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD Question......

Originally Posted by mippet
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am currently on OPT and it expires June 26th, 2005. I will be married on June 16th in a civil ceremony (Actual wedding day is in October), I will be filing everything by express mail to Chicago two days later. My question is this, in my application I have applied for a new EAD, during the period between my current EAD expiring, and physically recieving (Actually in my hand) the new EAD, can I work or must I suspend my work. If I have to stop working, is there a way to expedite the new EAD, so I would recieve it earlier than the expected 90 days? As my employer would want me working again very soon.
If I didn't stop working, would this create problems in my interview.

I ask this, as I have recieved conflicting stories.

Thanks.
Hi mippet,

Technically, you are not supposed to work without proper authorization....so if you are EAD-less for some time, you aren't supposed to work. Perhaps your employer can give you a leave of absence until you get your EAD in hand. However, if you DO work without authorization while married to a USC, it is usually forgiven by the Officer at the AOS interview.

And unfortunately, there's not way to expedite an EAD. It must go through the channels the same as everyone else's. If you don't get it within 90 days, on the 91st day you can go get an interim one at your local office, but it seems EADs are getting processed in about 6 to 8 weeks lately.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 7:34 am
Just Joined

To enroll in classes, while an AOS is in process, do you have to be issued an I-20?

I work at a college, where I can get free tution. I will mail my AOS pack on June 18th to Chicago. I would want to do this, as I would still want to work legally(on campus employment is legal if you are on a F1, thats whay I ask.)

So would enrolling for classes achieve legal work till I recieve my EAD?

Thanks,
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 7:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

To enroll in classes, while an AOS is in process, do you have to be issued an I-20?

I work at a college, where I can get free tution. I will mail my AOS pack on June 18th to Chicago. I would want to do this, as I would still want to work legally(on campus employment is legal if you are on a F1, thats whay I ask.)

So would enrolling for classes achieve legal work till I recieve my EAD?

Thanks,
I don't think you need an I-20 to enroll in college classes while your AOS is pending.

I'm a little confused on this one...are you on an F1 right now?

You might want to tell the college your situation and see what they say....

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Yes....F1 expired.....I'm on my OPT work visa. I work fulltime 10 months of the year, and June-July I only work part time.

I might just enroll in classes over the summer period....june through to August, hoping that the EAD will arrive in time. And as the part time work will be on campus it would be legal.

I thought to do this however I would have to have an I-20.

The international advisor, doesnt have a clue here.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 8:05 am

Yes....F1 expired.....I'm on my OPT work visa. I work fulltime 10 months of the year, and June-July I only work part time.

I might just enroll in classes over the summer period....june through to August, hoping that the EAD will arrive in time. And as the part time work will be on campus it would be legal.

I thought to do this however I would have to have an I-20.

The international advisor, doesnt have a clue here.
I don't know what an OPT work visa is. Anyway, this seems to be out of my limited knowledge....hopefully someone else who knows will chime in and help you out.

Best Wishes!
Rene
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 8:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

In how many threads are you going to ask this question?

Ian
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Quite a few more if it annoys you. Having read the board you do seem to be the boards resident clown.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 9:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a few more if it annoys you.
Hey... go for it!

Having read the board you do seem to be the boards resident clown.
I'm the resident prick. Retire to Italy is the resident clown. You need to get these things straight if you're going to play the game.

Ian
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Quality reply!

Whats your story here in the US?
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

USimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant future

Quality reply!

mippet in any immigration procedure u go u will always have to deal with it one way or another and sometime give up on things or convince yourself in order to achieve what u want. Happy to hear u are getting married
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 10:46 am
Account Closed

Quality reply!
While I have been known to get a bit hot under the collar (and it's not a secret that I do not suffer fools - read: my comments to consumer62000), more often than not I'm simply yanking some chains!

I entered the US as a K-1 beneficiary in April 1998, got my GC in April 2001, and became a US citizen in June 2004. I have always viewed immigration as an adventure and not a burden, and I always encourage others to do the same.

Ian
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 10:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by USimmigrant
mippet in any immigration procedure u go u will always have to deal with it one way or another and sometime give up on things or convince yourself in order to achieve what u want.
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're trying to say!

Ian