Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

EAD Pickup notification question

Wikiposts

EAD Pickup notification question

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 12:44 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all
Default EAD Pickup notification question

Hi,
decided to ask this question in the main forum. I got notice yesterday of my appointment "EAD/Advance Parole Pick-up Notice" , my question is that this is with the SF district office and
1. Does this mean I am approved and that they are going to issue my EAD?
2. Does SF issue EAD card on the same day OR will they still mail it out to me?
3. With an EAD card do I then wait a couple of weeks and then go to the social security office and get my SSN? (from reading here I think that is about right, just want to clarify)

Thanks
Patrick
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

hopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: EAD Pickup notification question

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
Hi,
decided to ask this question in the main forum. I got notice yesterday of my appointment "EAD/Advance Parole Pick-up Notice" , my question is that this is with the SF district office and
1. Does this mean I am approved and that they are going to issue my EAD?
2. Does SF issue EAD card on the same day OR will they still mail it out to me?
3. With an EAD card do I then wait a couple of weeks and then go to the social security office and get my SSN? (from reading here I think that is about right, just want to clarify)

Thanks
Patrick
I don't know about the SF office and if they issue EAD the same day, but KC does and I got mine last week the same day I had my interview...I also applied for my SSN the same day at my local SSA office...they said (obviously) that they will wait 10 days and try to verify I am in the system and if not they will do a manual verifaction on me...so I say do it sooner than later..coz they will still probably have to verify it anyways!...LOL

J
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 3:09 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hopelessinks
I don't know about the SF office and if they issue EAD the same day, but KC does and I got mine last week the same day I had my interview...I also applied for my SSN the same day at my local SSA office...they said (obviously) that they will wait 10 days and try to verify I am in the system and if not they will do a manual verifaction on me...so I say do it sooner than later..coz they will still probably have to verify it anyways!...LOL

J
Thanks for the input, I searched on the USCIS site and they have a memo from 2002 saying that the still issue EAD's on the same day so hopefully that is what will happen.
The whole SAVE system is something I have not thought about a whole lot until now, I presume all I will do is take my EAD and then go down to the local social security office and see if they will issue me a number? If not as you say they will either try to verify it OR they will tell me to wait for a couple of weeks and then check again to see if I am in the system.

Patrick
Old Oct 24th 2004, 12:36 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input, I searched on the USCIS site and they have a memo from 2002 saying that the still issue EAD's on the same day so hopefully that is what will happen.
The whole SAVE system is something I have not thought about a whole lot until now, I presume all I will do is take my EAD and then go down to the local social security office and see if they will issue me a number? If not as you say they will either try to verify it OR they will tell me to wait for a couple of weeks and then check again to see if I am in the system.

Patrick
Did you check the filing experience pages (and have you posted your filing experience there) for recent SF filings? I know Dekka's Angel filed there only last year.

As for the SAVE system, it is something to think about. If you are not in the system when you go to apply for your SSC, it could be up to 12 weeks before you are issued one. Better to wait a minimum of a week before applying to give the slowpokes at the CIS time to enter you data into the system.

Rete
Old Oct 24th 2004, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

hopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the rough

Patrick
HI
it's also a good isea to take other ID with you too...I had all my stuff with me as I had just come from my interview at the USCIS, and they copied my passport, birth certificate, marriage license and military ID as well as my EAD...so go well prepared just incase!

J
Old Oct 24th 2004, 4:51 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

Originally Posted by Rete
Did you check the filing experience pages (and have you posted your filing experience there) for recent SF filings? I know Dekka's Angel filed there only last year.

As for the SAVE system, it is something to think about. If you are not in the system when you go to apply for your SSC, it could be up to 12 weeks before you are issued one. Better to wait a minimum of a week before applying to give the slowpokes at the CIS time to enter you data into the system.

Rete
So is it better to wait a week or so and then go to Social Security and try for a number? Will going early mess it up and delay things further?

Without a SSN can I still get working or does it make more sense to wait for a couple of weeks hoping to get my SSN?
And finally, just to confirm, when this SSN is issued, it will be the SSN I will always have in the US?

Sorry for multiple questions Rete, should know by now I would be looking for a ton of info, SF experiences seem thin on the ground as far as this aspect goes, I searched on this forum a lot yesterday, will have a search on Kamya today

Patrick
Old Oct 24th 2004, 6:41 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So is it better to wait a week or so and then go to Social Security and try for a number? Will going early mess it up and delay things further?

Without a SSN can I still get working or does it make more sense to wait for a couple of weeks hoping to get my SSN?
And finally, just to confirm, when this SSN is issued, it will be the SSN I will always have in the US?
P,
it depends on what work you've got waiting.
It *will* take 10 working days minimum for your status to be updated from USCIS to SS. Applying before they 'know' you won't slow down your processing, but it will be a wasted visit.
UNLESS
You have employment waiting OR find an employer comfortable enough to follow the minutia of the law. Form I-9 will show you the accepted forms of identification for starting a new job. The employer may hire you if you have applied for the SS# that you are entitiled to, but have not yet received it.

And yes, you will get one and one only SS# for life. Then every year you'll get a depressing statement about how much you've paid in over the years and how much retirement benefit you can expect to get. Of course, that's for when we get *really* old, not just sorta old, like we are now
Old Oct 24th 2004, 6:52 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

Originally Posted by meauxna
P,
it depends on what work you've got waiting.
It *will* take 10 working days minimum for your status to be updated from USCIS to SS. Applying before they 'know' you won't slow down your processing, but it will be a wasted visit.
UNLESS
You have employment waiting OR find an employer comfortable enough to follow the minutia of the law. Form I-9 will show you the accepted forms of identification for starting a new job. The employer may hire you if you have applied for the SS# that you are entitiled to, but have not yet received it.

And yes, you will get one and one only SS# for life. Then every year you'll get a depressing statement about how much you've paid in over the years and how much retirement benefit you can expect to get. Of course, that's for when we get *really* old, not just sorta old, like we are now

I don't have any job offers at present, haven't even applied anywhere, I have several career options and unsure which to go with, may just start by getting something part time to get some work experience here in the US.
Great info on the SSN, will be VERY strange for me to FINALLY have a SSN, as you said, it has always been a huge worry when doing stuff here that someone will get picky and ask for more local id than a passport, although is only recently from reading here that it seems I should not have been as worried about that as I was, i.e. a passport (even though stamp is out of date, seems it doesn't get checked 90% of the time) is often the simplest id and is what I have had with me a lot lately . Next step will be a driving license and getting my name on my wife's bank account, that will be SOOOO cool
Patrick
Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:18 am
Mattias Hembruch

In article <[email protected]> ,
inquisitive40 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >decided to ask this question in the main forum. I got notice yesterday
    >of my appointment "EAD/Advance Parole Pick-up Notice" , my question is
    >that this is with the SF district office and
    >1. Does this mean I am approved and that they are going to issue my EAD?
    >2. Does SF issue EAD card on the same day OR will they still mail it
    > out to me?
    >3. With an EAD card do I then wait a couple of weeks and then go to the
    > social security office and get my SSN? (from reading here I think
    > that is about right, just want to clarify)

Hmm.. (Since you're going through SF, I thought I'd chime in).

I did things the other way: entered on my K-1 on Sept 22. Got married Sept
24 (later than planned!), applied for SSN around October 5, got it about a
week ago in the mail.

I'm NOW in the process of filling out AOS paperwork, will hopefully mail
that off in a day or two..

Mattias

Old Oct 25th 2004, 7:37 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

Originally Posted by Mattias Hembruch
In article <[email protected]> ,
inquisitive40 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >decided to ask this question in the main forum. I got notice yesterday
    >of my appointment "EAD/Advance Parole Pick-up Notice" , my question is
    >that this is with the SF district office and
    >1. Does this mean I am approved and that they are going to issue my EAD?
    >2. Does SF issue EAD card on the same day OR will they still mail it
    > out to me?
    >3. With an EAD card do I then wait a couple of weeks and then go to the
    > social security office and get my SSN? (from reading here I think
    > that is about right, just want to clarify)

Hmm.. (Since you're going through SF, I thought I'd chime in).

I did things the other way: entered on my K-1 on Sept 22. Got married Sept
24 (later than planned!), applied for SSN around October 5, got it about a
week ago in the mail.

I'm NOW in the process of filling out AOS paperwork, will hopefully mail
that off in a day or two..

Mattias

Yes BUT that is because you entered on a K-1 (I THINK ) , otherwise one has to wait for the EAD and then afterwards apply for SSN.
Patrick