Wikiposts

EAD help

Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:00 am
London Canada to Atlanta

country_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD help

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you say this happened to you, then I accept that it did. However, you should not have had to pay for an EAD separate from the I-485 fee. Did you include proof of your I-485 filing with the I-765? If you had, you should not have had to pay again. Water under the bridge now... so, just curious.

Ian
At the risk of hijacking the thread… you're absolutely right, one shouldn't have to pay seperately once you have paid the 485 which includes the 765 fee. However, my case is unique and definately not straightforward. I had to file my 485 with the court, wait for a receipt, then file the EAD. The 485 was filed in March. The court does not process the 765, that had to be filed with the service, separately. My attorney told me it would likely come back looking for payment, but worst case it would delay the 765. Which is exactly what happened.

Sucks to pay and pay and pay but ultimately my bad decisions early caused this and now I pay the price. My responsibility.

Cheers!
Old Jul 12th 2010, 6:51 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimandtina2008
Hi, Just saw this this morning about the SSN.......we waited til after we got married (to save name changes) and applied for my SSN on 29th June (just 19 days after arrival on k1) and we were told that I had no valid reason to get a Social Security Number as I had no right to work. We were told that we had to reapply once the AOS/EAD had been processed and approved. I was however given a letter of ineligibility to assist with other applications that might require a SSN, such as Drivers licence. By the way, passed my road test yesterday so am off to the SOS today (hopefully) to get my temporary driver's licence!!!!!

Unfortunately, having no SSN means that I cannot open a bank account, or even be put on Jim's account yet. Luckily his employers were happy enough with the Marriage Certificate so that I could be added to his company benefits and medical insurance.

Has anyone else had problems like this?

Tina
Tina, as pointed out, you don't necessarily need a SSN for the banking, but it sure would be helpful. Since you are still within 76 days of arrival, you can go back to SSA and ask them to look at their POMS (or print it out here) and see that a K-1 may receive a SSN (search term 'incident to status').

When you get down to 14 or fewer days left in K-1 status, they can't issue you a number and you have to wait for EAD or Green Card to apply.

Sorry they did you wrong
Old Jul 12th 2010, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

jimandtina2008 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by meauxna
Tina, as pointed out, you don't necessarily need a SSN for the banking, but it sure would be helpful. Since you are still within 76 days of arrival, you can go back to SSA and ask them to look at their POMS (or print it out here) and see that a K-1 may receive a SSN (search term 'incident to status').

When you get down to 14 or fewer days left in K-1 status, they can't issue you a number and you have to wait for EAD or Green Card to apply.

Sorry they did you wrong
Hi

Thanks everyone for your help.

As far as the SSN is concerned I looked up their site (having got nowhere with the automated telephone helpline - obviously it doesn't understand the English accent) and quite by accident, happened across an answer from the SSA to a new K1 holder about them applying for a SSN:-

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answ...NFBvRkdKNGs%3D

Quote: -
How to get a work Social Security number.
Updated 07/07/2010 04:49 PM | ID #576
I have come to the United States to marry my boyfriend. My immigration document shows K-1. How do I get a Social Security number so I can work?

The K-1 class of admission shown on your immigration document indicates you are the fiancé of a United States citizen. Therefore, you are eligible for a Social Security number and for employment.

To apply for a Social Security number:

•Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and
•Show us documents proving:
◦Immigration status and w;
◦Work eligibility (I-94, Arrival/Departure Record);
◦Age; and
◦Identity.
•Take (or mail) your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office. All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

For more detailed information, see Social Security Numbers For Noncitizens (Publication No. 05-10096) or Documents You Need for a Social Security Card.

End quote.

Needless to say, I copied this out and took the printout to the SSA office and explained to them what had happened and querying why was I refused since it clearly stated there on their own online customer service helpcenter that I was eligible. I was still told that I might not get a number, but I persisted and the guy dutifully entered all my details and then gave me a receipt that said the card would be in the mail!!! And that was with absolutely NO changes to the information that I previously presented since my AOS is still processing. RESULT!!!!

SO have had a very productive day for once....got my Driver's licence AND a SSN....both of which will be in the mail within two weeks.......

Just need to work on the bank now....

Tina xx