Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

EAD in hand, why so long to get SSN??

EAD in hand, why so long to get SSN??

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

coloradogirl is on a distinguished road
Default EAD in hand, why so long to get SSN??

Hi all,

My husband received his EAD card in the mail on Aug. 17, we waited the obligitory 15 days before going to the ss office to apply for a number. That was yesterday, when the woman called up his file she said, "I was afraid of this, it says we have to do it manually, that means it's going to take another 6 - 12 weeks before he'll be issued one". I asked what manually exactly meant and she said all his records need to be compared against each other.
Now, hasn't this all been done somewhere in all this process?? She gave him a letter stating that he applied for one but that in no way does it guarantee him a number nor does the letter show that he has a right to work in the US. Then proceeds to tell him to take the letter with him when applying for jobs, it might help. duh....

The short of it is now, he's had it with all this waiting (2 1/2 months here and have exhausted all honey-do's and touristy fun things...) and wants to go to Lebanon to visit his sister and wait there until his card comes in. Thoughts on this??

Some background: He came on a K-3 visa in June. Received his EAD card on August 17. I-130 approved August 26 (just under a year!). AOS biometrics appt. Sept. 28. I suppose we can change his AOS appt. date if necessary if he really feels the need to go. He's been holding up pretty well but yesterday was the last straw. I'd rather see him visit family and have the time fly then mope around in a funk around here. I know he can travel on his K-3, I'm just wondering if it's a wise move at this time or should he just try to tough it out. I'd like your opinions please!

Thanks,
-cg
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 3:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD in hand, why so long to get SSN??

Originally Posted by coloradogirl

Some background: He came on a K-3 visa in June. Received his EAD card on August 17. I-130 approved August 26 (just under a year!). AOS biometrics appt. Sept. 28. I suppose we can change his AOS appt. date if necessary if he really feels the need to go. He's been holding up pretty well but yesterday was the last straw. I'd rather see him visit family and have the time fly then mope around in a funk around here. I know he can travel on his K-3, I'm just wondering if it's a wise move at this time or should he just try to tough it out. I'd like your opinions please!
I think it might be best to wait until he's had his biometrics done first...
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 3:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

My husband received his EAD card in the mail on Aug. 17, we waited the obligitory 15 days before going to the ss office to apply for a number. That was yesterday, when the woman called up his file she said, "I was afraid of this, it says we have to do it manually, that means it's going to take another 6 - 12 weeks before he'll be issued one". I asked what manually exactly meant and she said all his records need to be compared against each other.
Now, hasn't this all been done somewhere in all this process?? She gave him a letter stating that he applied for one but that in no way does it guarantee him a number nor does the letter show that he has a right to work in the US. Then proceeds to tell him to take the letter with him when applying for jobs, it might help. duh....

The short of it is now, he's had it with all this waiting (2 1/2 months here and have exhausted all honey-do's and touristy fun things...) and wants to go to Lebanon to visit his sister and wait there until his card comes in. Thoughts on this??

Thanks,
-cg
Hi cg,

My husband (Iranian) also had to undergo manual verification by SSA before they would accept his application and issue a number. Our SSA rep said they must do manual verification on anyone from Iran, Syria, and Iraq. I don't know why your rep said they must do manual verification on someone from Morocco, next time you go in you might ask her exactly why she thinks this (although it doesn't matter now, it's already done). Or maybe his name simply wasn't in the SAVE system? I'm not sure.

But I can tell you that it took almost 10 weeks from the first day we went to the SS office until my husband got his card in the mail.

Now that SSA has started the manual verification process, you could also walk in to your local USCIS office and explain your situation to them. I've heard that sometimes they will verify the documents and send the OK to the SSA right away. Might be worth a try!

Best Wishes!
Rene
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 4:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi cg,

So his biometrics appointment is in 4 weeks, for AOS? Might not be a bad idea to wait till that's done, just in case he couldn't get back on time for that...or who knows what else...

After that, you probably will have another 4 to 6 weeks of waiting until you get the SS card in the mail (although who knows, your area might process faster than mine did). I can't see any reason for him not to travel in the meantime.

If you want my opinion, though....with him being Moroccan, and traveling to Lebanon, just on his K3 visa....I know it's allowed, but it would worry me nonetheless. That's just me, though.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 8:46 pm
Michael D. Young

coloradogirl wrote:

> Hi all,
    > My husband received his EAD card in the mail on Aug. 17, we waited the
    > obligitory 15 days before going to the ss office to apply for a number.
    > That was yesterday, when the woman called up his file she said, "I was
    > afraid of this, it says we have to do it manually, that means it's going
    > to take another 6 - 12 weeks before he'll be issued one". I asked what
    > manually exactly meant and she said all his records need to be compared
    > against each other.
    > Now, hasn't this all been done somewhere in all this process?? She gave
    > him a letter stating that he applied for one but that in no way does it
    > guarantee him a number nor does the letter show that he has a right to
    > work in the US. Then proceeds to tell him to take the letter with him
    > when applying for jobs, it might help. duh....

Employer Responsibilities When Hiring Foreign Workers:

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/hiring.htm

To strengthen homeland security in the aftermath of September 11th, Social
Security has taken extra steps to ensure the integrity of Social Security
numbers. The changes to the way Social Security assigns numbers and issues
cards may cause a delay of several weeks or months in receiving a number.
This fact sheet addresses employer responsibilities when hiring foreign
workers (e.g., students or cultural exchange visitors) who have applied for
and are waiting to receive a Social Security number and card.

Note that the employee may work while the Social Security number application
is being processed.

***This is dependent upon the person already having a work authorization
document***

What are an employer's responsibilities when hiring foreign workers who
don't have Social Security numbers?

Advise workers that they are required to apply for a Social Security number
and card. If a worker applied for but has not yet received a Social Security
number, you should get the following information as complete as possible:
The workers full name, address, date of birth, place of birth, father's full
name, mother's full maiden name, gender and the date he or she applied for a
Social Security number.

What if the worker doesn't have a Social Security number when wage reports
(Forms W-2) are due to Social Security?

Paper Filers: If the worker applied for a card but didn't receive the number
in time for filing, enter "Applied For" in Box d. (Reference: IRS
Instructions for Forms W-2/W-3)

Magnetic Tape/Diskette or Electronic Filers: If the worker applied for a
card but didn't receive the number in time for filing, enter all zeros in
the field for the Social Security number. (Reference: SSA's Magnetic Media
Reporting and Electronic Filing Format)

Remember to ask the worker to tell you the number and the exact name printed
on the card, when he or she receives it.

My foreign worker received his or her Social Security number after I filed
my wage report. What do I do?

When you receive the worker's Social Security number, file Form W-2c
(Corrected Wage and Tax Statement), to show the worker's number. Click here
for instructions on filing W-2c's.

Reference: 26 CFR 31.6011

SSA at one time put out EM-02086 that said all alien applicants from certain
countries had to be verified before they could be assigned an SSN and it was
Iran, Iraq, Libya and Sudan. SSA later put out an EM-02091 that changed
that to all alien applicants, but even EM-02086 just said they had to be
verified and not specifically through the G-845 process.

FROM EM-02086:

"NOTE: The procedures above do not apply to nonimmigrants (i.e., aliens
presenting I-94s) who are natives or citizens of Iran, Iraq, Libya, or
Sudan. The status of these nonimmigrants must be verified with INS (either
via online SAVE query response or G-845 response from INS) before being
assigned an SSN."

Now immigration could possibly not be entering info into SAVE for these
people causing all to be manually verified, but I don't think SSA is the
cause or at least I haven't seen anything that would indicate they are the
cause.

So have him go back to the SSA office every couple weeks with his documents
and (1) ask them to check him through SAVE again (2) ask did they send a
G-845 for manual verification (3) if yes, ask did it come back (4) after 35
days and no response to the G-845, ask if they have followed up by calling
or sending another G-845 marked "second request."

If the SSA office gives him any crap about doing these things tell them to
read EM-02091 and you might want to look it over as well.

http://policy.ssa.gov/public/reference.nsf/instructiontypecode!openview&restricttocategory=EM

You can find EM-02086 at:

http://www.nafsa.org/content/Profess...s/EM-02086.pdf

Old Sep 4th 2004, 1:22 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: EAD in hand, why so long to get SSN??

Hi all,

Thanks,
-cg
Someone correct me if Im wrong but I am under the impression that once one starts the AOS rolling by filing for AOS even though here on a K3, you must now apply for Advanced Parole (AP) to travel outside of the USA. I would seriously look into this before travelling out of the US without AP just in case there are problems returning to the US. It would be tragic if you travelled without it & found on your return you were denied re-entry.

Cheers
Shepslady
Old Sep 4th 2004, 1:59 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shepslady
Someone correct me if Im wrong but I am under the impression that once one starts the AOS rolling by filing for AOS even though here on a K3, you must now apply for Advanced Parole (AP) to travel outside of the USA. I would seriously look into this before travelling out of the US without AP just in case there are problems returning to the US. It would be tragic if you travelled without it & found on your return you were denied re-entry.

Cheers
Shepslady
K-3's don't need advance parole while the K-3 visa is still good. However, if the visa has expired, then they need advance parole. Note I am refering to the VISA issued by the consulate, not the I-94.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 3:09 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: EAD in hand, why so long to get SSN??

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
K-3's don't need advance parole while the K-3 visa is still good. However, if the visa has expired, then they need advance parole. Note I am refering to the VISA issued by the consulate, not the I-94.
Thanks for straightening that one out for me Mr. Folinskyinla guess I got that one wrong but delighted to know that AP isnt needed if K3 is till valid. Guess this immigration thing has fried my brain cells a little more than I thought!!

Regards
Shepslady
Old Sep 4th 2004, 3:31 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

My husband received his EAD card in the mail on Aug. 17, we waited the obligitory 15 days before going to the ss office to apply for a number. That
Hey girl

I am sorry your husband has to wait that long to the the SSN, I haven't gone to the SS office yet, does anyone know if they are open on Saturdays? (Gotta look that up right now!!)
If I were you guys.. I would wait until your husband has his biometric appt.. If he doesn't show up .. his AOS could be in great danger.
Have a nice weekend!!
Old Sep 4th 2004, 5:07 am
Michael D. Young

Hypertweeky wrote:

> > Hi all,
    > >
    > > My husband received his EAD card in the mail on Aug. 17, we waited the
    > > obligitory 15 days before going to the ss office to apply for a
    > > number. That was yesterday, when the woman called up his file she
    > > said, "I was afraid of this, it says we have to do it manually, that
    > > means it's going to take another 6 - 12 weeks before he'll be issued
    > > one". I asked what manually exactly meant and she said all his
    > > records need to be compared against each other.
    > > Now, hasn't this all been done somewhere in all this process?? She
    > > gave him a letter stating that he applied for one but that in no way
    > > does it guarantee him a number nor does the letter show that he has a
    > > right to work in the US. Then proceeds to tell him to take the letter
    > > with him when applying for jobs, it might help. duh....
    > >
    > > The short of it is now, he's had it with all this waiting (2 1/2
    > > months here and have exhausted all honey-do's and touristy fun
    > > things...) and wants to go to Lebanon to visit his sister and wait
    > > there until his card comes in. Thoughts on this??
    > >
    > > Some background: He came on a K-3 visa in June. Received his EAD
    > > card on August 17. I-130 approved August 26 (just under a year!).
    > > AOS biometrics appt. Sept. 28. I suppose we can change his AOS appt.
    > > date if necessary if he really feels the need to go. He's been
    > > holding up pretty well but yesterday was the last straw. I'd rather
    > > see him visit family and have the time fly then mope around in a funk
    > > around here. I know he can travel on his K-3, I'm just wondering if
    > > it's a wise move at this time or should he just try to tough it out.
    > > I'd like your opinions please!
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > -cg
    > Hey girl:)
    > I am sorry your husband has to wait that long to the the SSN, I haven't
    > gone to the SS office yet, does anyone know if they are open on
    > Saturdays? (Gotta look that up right now!!)

I don't know of any SSA field office that's open on Saturday.

Old Sep 4th 2004, 5:26 am

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: EAD in hand, why so long to get SSN??

Originally Posted by Michael D. Young
Hypertweeky wrote:

> > Hi all,
    > >
    > > My husband received his EAD card in the mail on Aug. 17, we waited the
[
I don't know of any SSA field office that's open on Saturday.
I have just found out on their website.. Thanks Michael
Have a great weekend!!
Old Sep 4th 2004, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

coloradogirl is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your thoughts and input and url's everyone. I've convinced him to at least stay put until the end of September. I don't have his documents handy but I'm pretty sure his K3 is good until May 2006, that's what I *think* I remember seeing, but maybe I'm thinking I-94, my brain is fried over all this stuff too!

Rene, the woman at the SS office said we could check back in about 4 weeks. So maybe I'll just do that, can't hurt.

And as luck would have it, out of the blue yesterday the leader of the one and only english conversation class we attended (it was too advanced for hubby) called to say a co-worker who is moroccan would like to meet my husband. It would be great if they could strike up a friendship. All he has is me (and as charming as I am I'm sure he gets tired of me... and his friends from home on chat.

Thanks again everyone.
-cg
Old Sep 4th 2004, 9:47 pm

Lightbulb Re: EAD in hand, why so long to get SSN??

Thanks for your thoughts and input and url's everyone. I've convinced him to at least stay put until the end of September. I don't have his documents handy but I'm pretty sure his K3 is good until May 2006, that's what I *think* I remember seeing, but maybe I'm thinking I-94, my brain is fried over all this stuff too!

Rene, the woman at the SS office said we could check back in about 4 weeks. So maybe I'll just do that, can't hurt.

And as luck would have it, out of the blue yesterday the leader of the one and only english conversation class we attended (it was too advanced for hubby) called to say a co-worker who is moroccan would like to meet my husband. It would be great if they could strike up a friendship. All he has is me (and as charming as I am I'm sure he gets tired of me. and his friends from home on chat.

Thanks again everyone.
-cg
Hey there:

What a rainny and chilly day huh?, I am loving it though!, I am tired of the heat!
My K3 visa expiration is: Jan 27, 2006, as for my I-94 it says: February 10, 2006.
I wonder why the K3 validity and I-94 are different, it may seem like a dumb question.. but I don't get it!
I am glad to hear your husband is making new friends
Hope the manual check doesn't take too long!
Take care!