Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

EAD and getting a job question

Wikiposts

EAD and getting a job question

Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:25 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all
Default EAD and getting a job question

Ok on Tuesday I get my EAD and I am wondering about applying for work, from previous posts it seems that until I get my SSN I cannot easily accept a job (legally can get a job but with no SSN most employers prefer to have SSN). My question now is when should I start applying for work. Should I wait till SSN arrives? I have a Toolmaking background and also computer background (building and trouble shooting computers), I am in the East Bay Area of San Francisco and I have no idea how long it will be from when I start applying for work and when I may get a job offer. I may even apply for some local stores like Best Buy etc just to get working.
In some ways I am trying to second guess the timeline here from other people's experience, that is the main answers I am looking for, i.e. what other's experiences have been when they applied for jobs here in the US.
Christmas being just around the corner, is it realistic to hope to be working before Christmas?
All experiences VERY welcome.
Patrick
Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:35 pm
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD and getting a job question

Originally Posted by inquisitive40
Ok on Tuesday I get my EAD and I am wondering about applying for work, from previous posts it seems that until I get my SSN I cannot easily accept a job (legally can get a job but with no SSN most employers prefer to have SSN). My question now is when should I start applying for work. Should I wait till SSN arrives?
Patrick
Hi Patrick!

I would apply for the Soc Sec and go ahead and start looking for a job. I think they can give you a receipt showing that you have applied for a soc sec card and that should hold off the payroll accountant for the couple of weeks it takes to get the card in the mail.

Your job search will depend on so many things that it is impossible to predict how long it will take. You seem like a smart enough guy, so just make sure that you have a good resume and the right attitude and you will be fine.

Good Luck!
Marnee
Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:41 pm

maximus76 is on a distinguished road

Ok on Tuesday I get my EAD and I am wondering about applying for work, from previous posts it seems that until I get my SSN I cannot easily accept a job (legally can get a job but with no SSN most employers prefer to have SSN). My question now is when should I start applying for work. Should I wait till SSN arrives? I have a Toolmaking background and also computer background (building and trouble shooting computers), I am in the East Bay Area of San Francisco and I have no idea how long it will be from when I start applying for work and when I may get a job offer. I may even apply for some local stores like Best Buy etc just to get working.
In some ways I am trying to second guess the timeline here from other people's experience, that is the main answers I am looking for, i.e. what other's experiences have been when they applied for jobs here in the US.
Christmas being just around the corner, is it realistic to hope to be working before Christmas?
All experiences VERY welcome.
Patrick
It is so hard to predict when you may get the job offer, I'd suggest you to start applying now, and when you go to pick up or drop off your job application, talk to human resources department, and show all your papers that you have received from USCIS, and your EAD, and explain the situation with your SSN, and that should be arriving soon. On the East Bay people and companies know so much about immigration things, it is amazing, they know more than anywhere else, cause CA itself is very "international" area.
Especially while you are waiting for your AOS interview, just start applying, nothing to loose. Oh, by the way, another good way to search for job and is very popular in SF Bay area - www.craigslist.org great site for everything.
Good luck!
Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:43 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by USA & Pakistan
Hi Patrick!

I would apply for the Soc Sec and go ahead and start looking for a job. I think they can give you a receipt showing that you have applied for a soc sec card and that should hold off the payroll accountant for the couple of weeks it takes to get the card in the mail.

Your job search will depend on so many things that it is impossible to predict how long it will take. You seem like a smart enough guy, so just make sure that you have a good resume and the right attitude and you will be fine.

Good Luck!
Marnee
Thanks Marnee, from what I have seen here, it seems a little easier to get a job than it is in Ireland, bad jobs are the only thing that are easy to get there, I had a good job and felt lucky a lot of the time until I finally went full time into professional music. Part of my current problem with job seeking will be which line of work to pursue, IT seems pretty full of unemployed .com workers, I have 10 years experience in CNC programming and toolmaking but this was a very stressful job back home (one mistake could cost $100,000 in scrap).
My final career option would be to start my own business building and repairing computers but that needs plenty of money to plough into advertising to get work in.

The whole job market here just seems a lot different to back home.
Patrick
Old Oct 31st 2004, 4:46 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

Originally Posted by maximus76
It is so hard to predict when you may get the job offer, I'd suggest you to start applying now, and when you go to pick up or drop off your job application, talk to human resources department, and show all your papers that you have received from USCIS, and your EAD, and explain the situation with your SSN, and that should be arriving soon. On the East Bay people and companies know so much about immigration things, it is amazing, they know more than anywhere else, cause CA itself is very "international" area.
Especially while you are waiting for your AOS interview, just start applying, nothing to loose. Oh, by the way, another good way to search for job and is very popular in SF Bay area - www.craigslist.org great site for everything.
Good luck!
I have already been on Craigslist and have seen some jobs there of interest when I first filed my AOS paperwork, will be looking there again this week to see what new is up.

Patrick
Old Oct 31st 2004, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

I have already been on Craigslist and have seen some jobs there of interest when I first filed my AOS paperwork, will be looking there again this week to see what new is up.

Patrick
Patrick, I dont have any advice for you but I wanted to say good luck with getting a job. Just turn on the Irish accent and I'm sure you'll have employers falling all over themselves to hire you haha
Old Nov 1st 2004, 12:31 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

Originally Posted by andrea874
Patrick, I dont have any advice for you but I wanted to say good luck with getting a job. Just turn on the Irish accent and I'm sure you'll have employers falling all over themselves to hire you haha
LOL, thanks Andrea, will need loads of luck
Patrick
Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree with others, Patrick. There are tonnes of factors that could influence how long it takes for one to find a job. Out situation was a little bit different in that hubby came in on a K1 - hence he got his SSN within 3 weeks of entering the US. However, my husband was here for about 4 months before getting his EAD. Once he got his EAD, it took 3 months for him to find a job. Today is actually his first day on the job. But, in our situation, we live in a fairly small town with companies that I guess don't need too much computer help. My hubby is also in IT and he finally accepted a postition that is in the nearest big city - which is about 90 miles away. It's not ideal, but it's a job. I would say start looking for jobs as soon as possible. Especially if you want something before Christmas.

Beware though, that this time of year lots of retail companies are looking for seasonal help and even if you have a job by Christmas, you might be out of a job by January. But at least that would be a job.

Good luck Patrick!
Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:15 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I have to agree with others, Patrick. There are tonnes of factors that could influence how long it takes for one to find a job. Out situation was a little bit different in that hubby came in on a K1 - hence he got his SSN within 3 weeks of entering the US. However, my husband was here for about 4 months before getting his EAD. Once he got his EAD, it took 3 months for him to find a job. Today is actually his first day on the job. But, in our situation, we live in a fairly small town with companies that I guess don't need too much computer help. My hubby is also in IT and he finally accepted a postition that is in the nearest big city - which is about 90 miles away. It's not ideal, but it's a job. I would say start looking for jobs as soon as possible. Especially if you want something before Christmas.

Beware though, that this time of year lots of retail companies are looking for seasonal help and even if you have a job by Christmas, you might be out of a job by January. But at least that would be a job.

Good luck Patrick!

Well the seasonal job would be fine, extra cash for Christmas, we have been living on one wage for the last 4 years and so any extra cash I can now make will be a bonus for Christmas.
My gut wants to pursue my own business BUT financially it is tough to get the money to advertise my services, seems that is the key here locally to get work in, tons of advertisement.
As I said, even a job in Best Buy would be fine for now , age may be against me, not sure what stores like that have for their hiring criteria.

Feel like a change in work, all my previous jobs in Ireland have been in industry and then the IT field BUT always in pressure jobs and not really enjoying the work. Have done some IT jobs for friends here and working alone was much more fun
Patrick
Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:47 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Well the seasonal job would be fine, extra cash for Christmas, we have been living on one wage for the last 4 years and so any extra cash I can now make will be a bonus for Christmas.
My gut wants to pursue my own business BUT financially it is tough to get the money to advertise my services, seems that is the key here locally to get work in, tons of advertisement.
As I said, even a job in Best Buy would be fine for now , age may be against me, not sure what stores like that have for their hiring criteria.

Feel like a change in work, all my previous jobs in Ireland have been in industry and then the IT field BUT always in pressure jobs and not really enjoying the work. Have done some IT jobs for friends here and working alone was much more fun
Patrick
Hi Patrick,

Like others have said, my advice is to start looking, applying, and sending resumes now. That way, you have a chance of interviewing by the time you get the EAD and at least the letter from SS saying you've applied for the card.

How about a temp agency for now, also? Or a temp-to-perm staffing place? Or even a job-seeker service (although there's usually a fee in that).

A friend of mine's K1 fiance just arrived 3 weeks ago and is already working - he got the job through one of those job seeker places. He was lucky that he got his SSN so fast. The job is just assembly-line work, but it's a job for now - he was willing to take anything for now until he gains some experience living here.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Nov 1st 2004, 3:02 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Patrick,

Like others have said, my advice is to start looking, applying, and sending resumes now. That way, you have a chance of interviewing by the time you get the EAD and at least the letter from SS saying you've applied for the card.

How about a temp agency for now, also? Or a temp-to-perm staffing place? Or even a job-seeker service (although there's usually a fee in that).

A friend of mine's K1 fiance just arrived 3 weeks ago and is already working - he got the job through one of those job seeker places. He was lucky that he got his SSN so fast. The job is just assembly-line work, but it's a job for now - he was willing to take anything for now until he gains some experience living here.

Best Wishes,
Rene
I was actually wondering about temp agencies and getting work through them, but I have no clue where to find agencies like that which are any good.
Patrick
Old Nov 1st 2004, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

I was actually wondering about temp agencies and getting work through them, but I have no clue where to find agencies like that which are any good.
Patrick

Hey Patrick,

I just realized, a friend of mine owns a small IT company in SF. Let me know if you want his contact info, I bet he could help find you a job..
Old Nov 1st 2004, 3:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Patrick
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+San+Francisco

I wouldn't know which ones are good either...you'll probably have to make office visits or phone inquiries.

Rene
Old Nov 1st 2004, 3:34 am
Lurker, Part-time Poster

celinelopez will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: EAD and getting a job question

Patrick
Patrick, some really good temp agencies: Adecco, Accountemps/Officeteam, Appleone/Kelly Services. I'm sure there's a lot more around there They're in the yellow pages under Employment. The temp agencies are pretty reliable, it just really depends on how much work is out there.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by celinelopez
Patrick, some really good temp agencies: Adecco, Accountemps/Officeteam, Appleone/Kelly Services. I'm sure there's a lot more around there They're in the yellow pages under Employment. The temp agencies are pretty reliable, it just really depends on how much work is out there.
The one we use here in Phoenix is called Stivers. We use them for admin work, but they might have other jobs available too, if they have an office in SF. They're highly reliable.

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.