Wikiposts

EAD/AP

Old Dec 22nd 2017, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

tcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond repute
Default EAD/AP

So after waiting months on end for some news i finally received the EAD card today. However it only states "not valid for reentry to the US".
I have not received a notice for approval or denial of the I131.
This is good and bad news for me as i can finally work but cant leave on my january 3rd flight to see family.
As my local field office is running 9 months behind on i485 applications i guess i cant leave until june or july.
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 12:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD/AP

If you get your AP prior to Jan 3, you can still go. You can go whenever you get your AP in hand.

I'd say it's unusual these days not to receive the EAD/AP combo card, so not sure why yours got issued separately. Did you receive an RFE on the I-131?

Rene
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Ben had a similar situation with receiving it separate.

If you need to fly perhaps reach out to your congressperson. However, with the holidays I cannot see this happening.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

With that said, what is your current status in the US? Because there are circumstances where a person can leave and re-enter without AP.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 1:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

According to his previous posts, his original plan was to marry in the USA in July 2017 and then return to Malta for CR-1 processing.

Since now he's talking about AOS, I assume he married and remained in the USA to adjust status.

Definitely can't leave without AP, as he will abandon his AOS process.

Rene
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 1:42 am
Just Joined

tcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond reputetcc1979 has a reputation beyond repute

i thought id better use my own profile as i got told off the other week for using my wifes.

Well i landed here in June, we got married in our back yard july. Found out about adjustment of status so we went down that route.
Submitted all the paperwork in August but had a RFE on the i765.
Had an approval letter for the EAD earlier this week and had teh card delivered yesterday but had zero paperwork relating to the I131 - AP.

I have been here on a B2 visa due to non approval of a VWP due to contract work in a country a few years ago. Yesterday marked the 6 month point of the visa.
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for clarifying.

Then no, if you leave without AP you will abandon your I-485 application and lose all the progress made.

It's one of the reasons you might hear the term "land lock."
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 3:46 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you signing up for your own account. We appreciate it very much.

At one time, a pending adjuster was able to make an info pass appt to their local field office and get an emergency advance parole. Honestly, no one has attempted to do that in recent times so if that is still an option, I truly can't say. Unfortunately, it is the holiday weekend and the offices and probably the helpline will not be open to answer questions until December 26. Do remember that Boxing Day is not celebrated in the US and it is business as usually on the 26th of December.

Why not see if you can schedule an appointment for the local field office on the automated system at the USCIS.gov site for one day between December 26 and the 29th. If you are lucky and can get one, you at least have the opportunity to ask about getting an emergency A/P for your fast approaching travel plans.

Good luck.
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by tcc1979
Submitted all the paperwork in August but had a RFE on the i765.
Had an approval letter for the EAD earlier this week and had teh card delivered yesterday but had zero paperwork relating to the I131 - AP.
The RFE could be why you are getting the EAD and AP separately. Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing how long it will take, so you might have to skip the January travel.

Rene
Old Dec 25th 2017, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

My EAD and AP are separate. A little confusing as they were both accepted within a few days of each other.

As others have said if you leave without your AP in hand you will abandon the I-485.

Did you book your tickets already? If so I really hope they’re refundable
Old Dec 25th 2017, 7:39 am
Just Joined

Hey Ben. Happy christmas

Do you have two cards or is the AP on a piece of paper?

My flight was a rebook of the flight that i was initially going to leave on in September until we decided to go down this route. Its not too much of a problem missing it but just would have been nice to see family.

The AP was submitted August 29th so has been a while now without a yes or a no.
Old Dec 25th 2017, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tcc1979
Hey Ben. Happy christmas

Do you have two cards or is the AP on a piece of paper?

My flight was a rebook of the flight that i was initially going to leave on in September until we decided to go down this route. Its not too much of a problem missing it but just would have been nice to see family.

The AP was submitted August 29th so has been a while now without a yes or a no.
EAD is a card and AP is on a piece of paper. I have both with me as I’m currently in England visiting family for Christmas. As others have said you may get lucky and be able to get in touch with USCIS, congressman or an InfoPass appointment so it’s certainly worth a try.