Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

EAD & Advanced Parole card expiring...still no I-485 interview...will it auto-renew?

EAD & Advanced Parole card expiring...still no I-485 interview...will it auto-renew?

Old Jul 9th 2018, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Sister Luck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EAD & Advanced Parole card expiring...still no I-485 interview...will it auto-renew?

Hello! Perhaps someone here may know the answer we are seeking. My husband (UKC) and I (USC) filed our green card paperwork last May 2017. He's received his EAD and Advanced parole card last September 2017, but they expire in one year (this September 2018). We still have not had our interview yet (the USIS site says it can take anywhere from 14 to 31 months for our field office). So, the question is this....will we need to do anything to renew the EAD/Advanced parole card or will it auto-renew as we are still pending interview? Thanks in advance to anyone who has any information on this subject!

Last edited by Sister Luck; Jul 9th 2018 at 2:03 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD & Advanced Parole card expiring...still no I-485 interview...will it auto-ren

It will not auto renew. He will have to send in a new I-765 and I-131 to renew. Bad news is that now the EAD/AP is taking much longer to process, up to 5 months or so. So there could possibly be some gap time where he's not work authorized and can't travel abroad. File them ASAP and hope for the best.

Rene
Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:14 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EAD & Advanced Parole card expiring...still no I-485 interview...will it auto-ren

Originally Posted by Sister Luck
Hello! Perhaps someone here may know the answer we are seeking. My husband (UKC) and I (USC) filed our green card paperwork last May 2017. He's received his EAD and Advanced parole card last September 2017, but they expire in one year (this September 2018). We still have not had our interview yet (the USIS site says it can take anywhere from 14 to 31 months for our field office). So, the question is this....will we need to do anything to renew the EAD/Advanced parole card or will it auto-renew as we are still pending interview? Thanks in advance to anyone who has any information on this subject!
Renew ASAP, file forms i-765 and i-131 again. Be sure to include the barcode that came with your original EAD for 'faster processing' - as they say.

Current timeline for EAD / AP is 5-6 months, they are giving automatic 6 month extensions if your husband qualifies under a specific category, e.g. c9 - they will send you a letter upon receipt of your paperwork and it says that the letter acts as an EAD extension if you don't receive your renewal in time before the current one runs out. Note - this doesn't cover AP.

I'm in the same boat as you, mine expires next month, i filed mine early April - just had notification that my new card has been ordered.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

This is what I feared the answer would be, but thanks for the advice. We are gathering previous forms and prepping new ones right away!

Cheers!
Old Jul 12th 2018, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Hi All (again). One other quick clarification...hoping someone here can chime in. My husband and I did complete new renewal I-131 and I-765 forms to get his soon expiring EAD and AP card re-issued. We are gathering all the backup necessary and hope to get it all mailed off tomorrow. Our receipt numbers all begin with MSC and we live in Florida, so we are pretty sure we send this off to the Dallas, Texas lockbox. Does anyone here know for sure?

Thanks again. This forum has been a great resource for us. We really appreciate all the advice we've gotten so far.

Cheers!
Old Jul 12th 2018, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

Ahhhh...wait...it's Chicago! Right?Filing your Form I-131 alone, and your
Form I-485 receipt notice
(Form I-797C, Notice of Action):
  • Begins with MSC
    (example: MSC1234567890
    or
  • Does not have three letters at the beginning
    (example: 1234567890)
USCIS Chicago Lockbox

For U.S. Postal Service :
USCIS
P.O. Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:
USCIS
Attn: FBAS
131 S. Dearborn, 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517
Old Jul 12th 2018, 5:28 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhh...wait...it's Chicago! Right?Filing your Form I-131 alone, and your
Form I-485 receipt notice
(Form I-797C, Notice of Action):
  • Begins with MSC
    (example: MSC1234567890
    or
  • Does not have three letters at the beginning
    (example: 1234567890)
USCIS Chicago Lockbox

For U.S. Postal Service :
USCIS
P.O. Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:
USCIS
Attn: FBAS
131 S. Dearborn, 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517
Yup, that's where i sent both my 765 and 131 renewals
Old Jul 12th 2018, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Cool! Thanks Jack! We have it all ready to go then. And since you filed early April and just got notification that the new card is being ordered, that eases the mind a bit! Seems you got through pretty quickly!
Old Jul 16th 2018, 2:23 pm
i hate cabbage

Cool! Thanks Jack! We have it all ready to go then. And since you filed early April and just got notification that the new card is being ordered, that eases the mind a bit! Seems you got through pretty quickly!
I had to expedite mine through my congress office due to work travel and needing the i131 approval - i was 3 months in prior to submitting the expedite request.

Keep an eye out on the receipt letter and read through it carefully, it will grant 180 day automatic extension of the EAD only if you don't receive the new card before the current one expires. (assuming your class of application matches, c9 etc.)

If your husband needs to leave the country, then you'll need to make sure you have the i131 renewal - this was the important part for me, hence the expedite.