Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

EAD = white elephant for K3/K4 holders?

Wikiposts

EAD = white elephant for K3/K4 holders?

Old Dec 16th 2003, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

speedyvespa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EAD = white elephant for K3/K4 holders?

Originally posted by Folinskyinla
Mark:

I'm sure that the most important I-765 that USCIS is handling is yours. To establish that, all one has to do is ask you! .
Sadly, the USCIS seem to beg to differ

Well, I'm sure it'll be sorted soon. I realise I bang on about it an awful lot, it's just when one's wife is holding down three jobs in order to pay for the most basic things, I feel like I should be doing everything I can and then more to try to get authorization to work - I guess I have a heavy conscience! Posting, studying, researching, phoning and hassling are ways in which I satisfy myself that I'm doing everything in my power so that perhaps she can have her first day off work in a month.

- Mark
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 12:57 pm
nat
Forum Regular

nat will become famous soon enoughnat will become famous soon enough

You are a person of little imagination. <g> and

I think you are making a very basic error in assuming that that "K-3/4" are the ONLY I-765's that NBC takes. I think the secret lies in the I-485 -- LIFE line. Those applications had a drop-dead filing deadline last June and lots of them had I-765 tied to them. Since the I-485 has to be intitally processed before issuance of an EAD, I find it interesting that the EAD appication processing time is just a little behind the 485/Life processing.

This is speculation on my part -- but informed speculation.

Could you clarify your statement "Since the I-485 has to be intitally processed before issuance of an EAD"

as I have an EAD without having applied for I485 yet.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nat
Could you clarify your statement "Since the I-485 has to be intitally processed before issuance of an EAD"

as I have an EAD without having applied for I485 yet.
Hi:

I was talking about EAD's for LIFE applicants. Those EAD's are tied to a pending LIFE I-485.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 4:01 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by speedyvespa
https://egov.immigration.gov/graphic...ocesstimes.jsp

But Adiastar was authorized today with a receipt date of 10/10/03, whereas mine is 09/30/03... so I'm entirely befuddled now.

Oh happy news...!

I applied for my SSN shortly after arriving here, so presumably when my EAD is approved, they will send it - or will I have to apply again/give them a nudge, I wonder.

- Mark

Is just it me, or does the fact that someone is worse off than me make me feel bad?

Mark,
He came in on a K1 not K3.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 4:03 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

This HAS been mentioned from time to time -- by yours truly. In fact, it is an FAQ.

There are two components to the employmer sanctions law: employment of "unauthorized aliens" and the paperwork provisions.

All K's are authorized to work "incident to status." However, the defintion has a provision "as evidenced by an employment authorization document"

As such, an K working can't be penalized. Nor can the employer be sanctioned for hiring an unauthorized alien.

However, there is also a separate paperwork provision imposed on the employer. Without seeing the proper documentation, they CAN be sanctioned for this. However, the penalty is nominal and these days is rarely imposed. However, one time, Disneyland in Anaheim was reportedly hit with $400,000 in paperwork sanctions even thhough they had no unauthorized aliens. [This was reported as a news item but had never been acknowledged by Disney -- I, in no way vouch for the veracity of this report].

To complicate matters, asylees & refugees are also authorized incident to status as evidenced by an EAD. But they also can get an unrestricted social security card. The former INS has noted that, as a practical matter, asylees/refugees legally are required to have an EAD in order to work but that neither the employer nor the alien can be penalized for use of the picture ID and the unrestricted social security card to fill out the I-9.

Further complication -- the "authorized alien" language in 8 CFR 274a.12(a) was updated in 2001 to add subsection (a)(8) to cover K-3/4's. Howver, the concomitant provisions in 8 CFR 274a.13(a) regarding the EAD application process was NOT updated to conform.

Bottom line: K's are "authorized alien" who can work without penalty. An employer will not be sanctioned the large fine for employing an "unauthorized alien." However, they CAN be nicked for not complying with the paperwork.

BTW, how does this explain what NBC is doing with I-765's -- in the employment based arena, the Service Centers are backlogged on 765's -- and then we go to local district for interim EAD issuance on day 91 -- which bugs the Districts no end and makes them mad at service center.

That's what my husband plansto do on the 91st day, go to the Atlanta office if NBC doesn't come through in the next 2 weeks. We don't have a great deal of options financially to wait any longer.