E3 visa / Marrying an American

Wikiposts

E3 visa / Marrying an American

Old Mar 20th 2015, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

ando88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default E3 visa / Marrying an American

Hi all.

My best friend/fiance and I are getting married in June. I am an Australian, she was born in Australia but she is 100% american. (she may be eligible for an Australian passport due to her Dad being a permanent resident at the time of her birth - we will cross this bridge later when we think about grad schools in Australia).

I am currently in the USA working on a E3 visa. In June we are getting married, and I am trying to work out what the best process would be for becoming a permanent resident in the USA. I could easily remain on the E3, because it's valid through 2017, but it's not as 'predictable' as say having residency in the USA through her. Having my wife as my sponsor would be a better option after we wed.

I have lived in the USA on and off (4 j-1 visas) since 2011. Like I said my fiancé is an American citizen. I am Australian. What is the best path to take in my situation to ensure confidence of residence/sponsorship in the USA after we are married?

Look forward to your thoughts
Old Mar 20th 2015, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E3 visa / Marrying an American

Probably the easiest route for you would be to marry and then file for AOS. You will eventually get a GC, which is usually conditional for two years and after three, you can apply for citizenship, if you so desire.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 6:17 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You will want to research "Adjustment of Status" (AOS).

Rene
Old Mar 20th 2015, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you both

So it looks to me like there are two forms that need to be filed

My wife will need to file the I-130
And I will need to file the I-485

Sounds simple enough, though it never really is. Throughout the entire period of filing these forms will I be eligible to continue working under my E3?
Old Mar 20th 2015, 2:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, those are the two main applications, and they are filed concurrently to the address on the I-485. The I-485 also requires form I-864 Affidavit of Support (USC fills this out). Also form I-765 and I-131 for work authorization and travel outside the USA, in case something happens to your E3 employment. You will also need a full medical exam and include those results with your AOS package.

Rene
Old Mar 20th 2015, 2:14 pm

Yes, you can continue working for your E3 employer while your AOS is processing.

Rene
Old Mar 20th 2015, 2:16 pm

There will be a filing fee for the I-130.
There will be a filing fee for the I-485, including biometrics.
No fee for the I-864, I-765 or I-131.
The doctor doing your medical sets his own fee.

Rene
Old Mar 20th 2015, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Rene, thank you for that summary. My E3 is valid till 2017, but I would like to get this in the works as soon as I can. I appreciate your informative posts
Old Mar 22nd 2015, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I adjusted from E3 to permanent resident last year. I posted about it if you search my posts.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by augigi
I adjusted from E3 to permanent resident last year. I posted about it if you search my posts.
Thanks for the heads up, I will look at your posts
Old Jul 21st 2015, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene

I have found there to be a $380 filing fee for the I-765
Old Jul 21st 2015, 7:23 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ando88
I have found there to be a $380 filing fee for the I-765
When filing as a stand-alone application, yes. When filed with an I-485 there is no fee.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Jul 21st 2015 at 7:26 am.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Okay Thanks.

Question 16 on the I-765 form (Application for Employment Authorization)
'Who May File Form I-765'

I am confused about what to put. My wife is a US citizen, I am an E-3 visa carrier?

Also how do I obtain the information for 17 and 18? Firstly my companies E-verify number? and secondly the receipt for my eligibility? This part has confused me most
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:36 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ando88
I am confused about what to put. My wife is a US citizen, I am an E-3 visa carrier?
Apply under category (c)(9). You read the I-765 instructions, right? That's a different form, by the way.

Also how do I obtain the information for 17 and 18? Firstly my companies E-verify number? and secondly the receipt for my eligibility?
Neither of these apply to you.

Ian
Old Jul 28th 2015, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Ian, I read the form however was uncertain about my category, Thanks for clearing this up!

Andy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.