Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Dutch police cert hold up at K1 interview in London

Dutch police cert hold up at K1 interview in London

Old Dec 13th 2010, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Fingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really nice
Default Dutch police cert hold up at K1 interview in London

Hi all,

Had my K1 interview today and found it very reflective of previous posts on this forum. One thing that did surprise me though was the number of people taking bags into the embassy (not suitcase size but backpacks and handbags). I perhaps misread posts but I thought this wasnt allowed. I was told everything looked fine with my application, only my dutch police certificate was outstanding (YEY-sort of!)....

Anyway, I'm posting as Im looking for experience of anyone else who needed a Dutch police cert applying through London. I dont think it would be K1 specific.

Whilst at the first window a nice young lady (who turned out to be Dutch) asked if the UK was the only place I've lived. I replied no, I spent around two years in the Netherlands. All of my previous dutch addresses were submitted in my application, as it wasnt overly long ago. She then asked for my Dutch police certificate, which was strange, since the embassy have to apply for Dutch certificates on my behalf. Which I pointed out politely in order to answer her question.

She said the cert. was not yet in my file and went to check, returning with someone else, who said my Dutch addresses were needed to apply for the certificate (all my addresses were in the application). The girl gave me a piece of blank paper and asked me to write all my dutch addresses and dates out. Being Dutch, she was familiar with how the system works and asked if id registered with the gemeente (local council type organization), which you are supposed to do each time you move. I didnt. I lived in three places and only registered for the first two. She asked if I had 'signed out' when I left NL - I didnt know I had to, so no. Both of these responses seemed to cause her concern but Im not sure if this was as someone with a US visa hat on or a Dutch person hat on.

Bottom line is they couldnt approve my visa until they have the police clearance. I dont have a criminal record, so am not concerned about that and she said it shouldnt impact my application. However, this is obviously going hold things up. Im not sure I like the word 'shouldnt' in this context.

Im not expecting to hear anything now until after xmas, Im looking for someone to put my mind at rest or advise on how to sort this out. Half of me wants to ring the gemeente and fix it. The other half of me thinks dont get involved, leave it to the embassy - The excuse that they needed my addresses doesnt float, since they did and that it could have just been oversight somewhere along the line.

On the other hand my big worry is that although I dont have a criminal record, if the addresses I have given dont tie up against the Dutch system, will it be possible for them to issue a certificate saying I dont have a criminal record? The whole gemente thing could be a red herring for all I know since I dont know how this works.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 6:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dutch police cert hold up at K1 interview in London

I don't know the specifics regarding the Netherlands, but....

Did you know ahead of time that you'd need a police report from any country you lived in for more than 1 year, over the age of 16? Or was this news to you when you went to your K-1 interview?

If you knew ahead of time, why didn't you pursue getting one? You say the embassy needs to get it for you, but wouldn't that be the Dutch embassy?

You mention your NL addresses were on your visa applications, that's true, but I wouldn't expect the US Embassy to automatically apply for a police certificate for you unless directed to do so.

Hopefully it won't hold things up too long, and hopefully someone on here knows how long it might take to get the NL police report in hand.

Rene
Old Dec 13th 2010, 6:47 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fingers crossed
Hi all,

Had my K1 interview today and found it very reflective of previous posts on this forum. One thing that did surprise me though was the number of people taking bags into the embassy (not suitcase size but backpacks and handbags). I perhaps misread posts but I thought this wasnt allowed. I was told everything looked fine with my application, only my dutch police certificate was outstanding (YEY-sort of!)....

Anyway, I'm posting as Im looking for experience of anyone else who needed a Dutch police cert applying through London. I dont think it would be K1 specific.

Whilst at the first window a nice young lady (who turned out to be Dutch) asked if the UK was the only place I've lived. I replied no, I spent around two years in the Netherlands. All of my previous dutch addresses were submitted in my application, as it wasnt overly long ago. She then asked for my Dutch police certificate, which was strange, since the embassy have to apply for Dutch certificates on my behalf. Which I pointed out politely in order to answer her question.

She said the cert. was not yet in my file and went to check, returning with someone else, who said my Dutch addresses were needed to apply for the certificate (all my addresses were in the application). The girl gave me a piece of blank paper and asked me to write all my dutch addresses and dates out. Being Dutch, she was familiar with how the system works and asked if id registered with the gemeente (local council type organization), which you are supposed to do each time you move. I didnt. I lived in three places and only registered for the first two. She asked if I had 'signed out' when I left NL - I didnt know I had to, so no. Both of these responses seemed to cause her concern but Im not sure if this was as someone with a US visa hat on or a Dutch person hat on.

Bottom line is they couldnt approve my visa until they have the police clearance. I dont have a criminal record, so am not concerned about that and she said it shouldnt impact my application. However, this is obviously going hold things up. Im not sure I like the word 'shouldnt' in this context.

Im not expecting to hear anything now until after xmas, Im looking for someone to put my mind at rest or advise on how to sort this out. Half of me wants to ring the gemeente and fix it. The other half of me thinks dont get involved, leave it to the embassy - The excuse that they needed my addresses doesnt float, since they did and that it could have just been oversight somewhere along the line.

On the other hand my big worry is that although I dont have a criminal record, if the addresses I have given dont tie up against the Dutch system, will it be possible for them to issue a certificate saying I dont have a criminal record? The whole gemente thing could be a red herring for all I know since I dont know how this works.
Hi:

I am curious, and for the information of others -- did you see the Consular Officer anyways for an interview?
Old Dec 13th 2010, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You say the embassy needs to get it for you, but wouldn't that be the Dutch embassy?
The procedure for the Netherlands does indeed require that the request come from the US consulate in Amsterdam and they, in turn, get that request from the US embassy processing the application.

http://amsterdam.usconsulate.gov/imm..._visas2.html#5
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Fingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really niceFingers crossed is just really nice

I had the interview as normal, yes and I also knew I would need a certificate prior to being issued a visa. I cant get it myself though and I dont see it, it is applied for by the embassy and they receive it on my behalf. Or at least that is how it is supposed to work. Im supposed to turn up at the interview and the certificate already be in my file.

Im curious about how the fact that I wasnt registered or de registered properly may impact on the embassy getting the certificate, if at all as I hope this may just be a red herring and could simply be oversight that the certificate was not obtained. At least this way is is probably much quicker to resolve.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
The procedure for the Netherlands does indeed require that the request come from the US consulate in Amsterdam and they, in turn, get that request from the US embassy processing the application.

http://amsterdam.usconsulate.gov/imm..._visas2.html#5
OK, thanks for the clarification.

Rene
Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:36 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I had the interview as normal, yes and I also knew I would need a certificate prior to being issued a visa. I cant get it myself though and I dont see it, it is applied for by the embassy and they receive it on my behalf. Or at least that is how it is supposed to work. Im supposed to turn up at the interview and the certificate already be in my file.

Im curious about how the fact that I wasnt registered or de registered properly may impact on the embassy getting the certificate, if at all as I hope this may just be a red herring and could simply be oversight that the certificate was not obtained. At least this way is is probably much quicker to resolve.
At least you did everything you could. Good luck.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

IR1 alumni is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a few countries that do not provide police certificates to applicants, and require the Embassy to send a request directly (I think New Zealand is another). The Embassy doesn't request the certificates until the interview day. They often find that applicants haven't filled out their forms correctly, or have neglected to mention countries where they have lived - all information that comes out during an interview. It wasn't an oversight at all, just the way things are done.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IR1 alumni
The Embassy doesn't request the certificates until the interview day.
If that is true then in it explains why they didnt make use of the addresses that they had available to them. Although it would have been nice to have seen it somewhere that needing a dutch cert would mean an automatic delay in approval.

It also puts my mind at ease a little, since it now means that I havent failed a previous police check - not to say that I wont if the gemeente thing is as issue.

Thanks for the insight. Just out of interest, is it London that you know this from or is it a general rule?
Old Dec 14th 2010, 7:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

If that is true then in it explains why they didnt make use of the addresses that they had available to them. Although it would have been nice to have seen it somewhere that needing a dutch cert would mean an automatic delay in approval.
Why? It doesn't matter to them.. your visa application takes as long as it takes.
The Embassy procedures aren't set up to be as well explained as possible for users, or to be as fast as users want.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 7:44 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by IR1 alumni
There are a few countries that do not provide police certificates to applicants, and require the Embassy to send a request directly (I think New Zealand is another). The Embassy doesn't request the certificates until the interview day. They often find that applicants haven't filled out their forms correctly, or have neglected to mention countries where they have lived - all information that comes out during an interview. It wasn't an oversight at all, just the way things are done.
The procedures have changed, but Seoul used to be the same way -- there was an "SEO-11" form that had to be sent in. The interview would not be scheduled until the ROK responded.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Why? It doesn't matter to them.. your visa application takes as long as it takes.
The Embassy procedures aren't set up to be as well explained as possible for users, or to be as fast as users want.
I know, it just caught me by surprise. I had a 'what if' planned for pretty much every area of the application that may have caused us to be held up with the exception of this one. 'Expect the unexpected'.

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The procedures have changed, but Seoul used to be the same way -- there was an "SEO-11" form that had to be sent in. The interview would not be scheduled until the ROK responded.
This is what I was expecting.

However, it is what it is and other than having the majority of the uncertainty taken away it doesn't change anything. Still not able to start any proper planning.

Last edited by Fingers crossed; Dec 14th 2010 at 8:34 pm. Reason: typo
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

For any future readers - Time taken to get Dutch police cert was two months.

After one month there was no news, so I emailed the embassy. They confirmed the certificate had been requested but nothing more. After two months, still nothing, so I sent another e-mail. The embassy responded by requesting my passport to put the visa in.

Either way all is now complete and the visa is working its way to me.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Result!
Mysterious, but there you go. Thanks for the update and happy travels!
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

hmm perhaps i missed something too.

I have applied for and got my UK police cert, but i lived in america 4 years whilst on my F1 visa, shall I need to get a US police cert?

*runs off to do some more research*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.