Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Dual UK citizen planning to move to the US with UK wife.

Dual UK citizen planning to move to the US with UK wife.

Old Apr 25th 2016, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual UK citizen planning to move to the US with UK wife.

Originally Posted by AndyMan74
If this were to happen I assume that I would apply to the US immigration service and not the London Embassy?
File the I-130 to London before you leave the UK. Do not file the I-130 to the US because you'll be tacking about 4-5 months on to the process unnecessarily. Once you file the I-130 to London, you can leave the UK because your part in the adventure is pretty much over at that point in time.

I'm assuming we can go ahead with the green card application and fingers crossed it only take about 4-6 months?
It'll take about 4-6 months if you file the I-130 to London. You're looking at 8-10 months if you file the I-130 in the US. File the I-130 to London before you leave the UK.

You do not need the proper income to file... that information will become relevant only when your wife goes for her interview.

As a US citizen I assume my return stateside should be relatively straight forward.
You are free to come and go as you please.

Ian
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual UK citizen planning to move to the US with UK wife.

If you're not going to be making at least twice that, I'd say "don't come"; if you're not making at least three times that in a lower cost area, think very hard about whether it is the right decision; if you're looking at a major city, make that four times that much, and for NYC or SF, makes that five times as much.
Very good advice...I have a substantial amount of money to take and the $20k is a worse case scenario. The wife is the brains of the outfit so the sooner she joins me the better

There are no issues with you returning to the US and establishing your residency here. If you have your social security number you are set to go with job hunting and accepting employment. Might be a bit difficult without a credit rating for finding a rental, getting a loan for a car, and securing your utilities.
Yes I even have the actual social security card although it has been washed a few times. I'm not worried about my driving licence at all but am a bit worried about the credit rating aspect. I have read on here that getting an American Express card could help. Has anyone tried this solution?

File the I-130 to London before you leave the UK. Do not file the I-130 to the US because you'll be tacking about 4-5 months on to the process unnecessarily. Once you file the I-130 to London, you can leave the UK because your part in the adventure is pretty much over at that point in time.
That's very handy to know