Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

DS-260 Question- Spouse immigrating to the US with you?

DS-260 Question- Spouse immigrating to the US with you?

Old Sep 28th 2017, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

LuluBelle1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DS-260 Question- Spouse immigrating to the US with you?

Hello-

My wife is American, and I am British. We currently live in London, and are planning a move to the US.

I am filling out the Online Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application (DS-260), and the question where it asks 'Is your spouse immigrating to the US with you?', should I tick no?

I read somewhere that 'immigrating' means 'seeking permanent residence to the U.S. based upon your application'. Since she is already a US citizen, then I would assume to tick no even though we will be traveling together.

Then the second part of that is 'Is your spouse immigrating to the US at a later date to join you?'. I am assuming again I tick no, since she is not technically immigrating. Is this all correct?

Thanks!
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:06 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DS-260 Question- Spouse immigrating to the US with you?

Originally Posted by LuluBelle1
Hello-

My wife is American, and I am British. We currently live in London, and are planning a move to the US.

I am filling out the Online Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application (DS-260), and the question where it asks 'Is your spouse immigrating to the US with you?', should I tick no?

I read somewhere that 'immigrating' means 'seeking permanent residence to the U.S. based upon your application'. Since she is already a US citizen, then I would assume to tick no even though we will be traveling together.

Then the second part of that is 'Is your spouse immigrating to the US at a later date to join you?'. I am assuming again I tick no, since she is not technically immigrating. Is this all correct?

Thanks!
You are correct. Your wife is not immigrating either with you or after you. She is not immigrating at all as she is a USC. The question does not relate to travel arrangements. The DS-260 is a multi-purpose form for people applying for immigrant visas. So siblings of USCs, parents of USCs, children of permanent residents, etc, etc all complete the same form. So some questions do not apply to all situations.

Edited to correct the form name.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:12 am
Just Joined

LuluBelle1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks! That was helpful.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh blast! I've just checked the printout of the DS-260 that my wife submitted and we put YES for this question even though I'm a US citizen. Hmmm can the DS-260 be changed once submitted (I'm skeptical)? Is it worth mentioning this at the interview. Dam red tape!

It says on the DS-260 website that once it is submitted it can only be changed by an immigration officer at the embassy so my wife will just have to inform the Interviewer at the London embassy of the mistake.

Last edited by AndyMan74; Sep 29th 2017 at 11:36 am.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a big deal. Talk to the officer at the interview about it.