British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   DS-260 Permanent Address Field (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/ds-260-permanent-address-field-900857/)

AndyMan74 Jul 30th 2017 5:30 pm

DS-260 Permanent Address Field

Have been filling out the DS-260 form and it's asking for a permanent address for when we get stateside but we will not have one straight away as we will be in a hotel for a month or so. What can we put in the boxes? We are doing the IR-1 and filing with the London embassy.

Many thanks in advance.

AndyMan74 Jul 30th 2017 6:08 pm

Re: DS-260 Permanent Address Field

I've used the very handy search feature on this brilliant site and fixed my own problem...I think. It seems that I can use the address of a family friend as a placeholder permanent address and then at POE change it to the address of the hotel.

PS - Just goes to show that the SEARCH feature IS your best friend.

ian-mstm Jul 30th 2017 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by AndyMan74 (Post 12305850)
It seems that I can use the address of a family friend as a placeholder permanent address and then at POE change it to the address of the hotel.

Or, you could tell the truth... unknown at this time.

Ian

Rete Jul 30th 2017 7:59 pm

Frankly, I would not give the hotel as you address when you are at secondary at the POE. Why? Because that is the address where your green card will be mailed. Do you want it coming to a hotel after you have stopped residing there? I don't think so as it will only be sent back to the USCIS and then you have a round of phone calls, letters, etc. to get the card remailed.

AndyMan74 Jul 31st 2017 7:16 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 12305885)
Or, you could tell the truth... unknown at this time.

Ian

That was my first action but the address field requires a legitimate zip code and state.

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12305891)
Frankly, I would not give the hotel as you address when you are at secondary at the POE. Why? Because that is the address where your green card will be mailed. Do you want it coming to a hotel after you have stopped residing there? I don't think so as it will only be sent back to the USCIS and then you have a round of phone calls, letters, etc. to get the card remailed.

I wouldn't dream of putting a hotel address as a place to send correspondence or green card and put down the family friend for the address at which the green card would be posted which is a separate field that appears after the permanent address on the DS-260.

viitav Jul 31st 2017 8:12 am

I put not known at this time.

This isn't where they mail your greencard - when you fill in your DS-260 they ask for this. I think also when you pay your greencard fee they also ask again?

Rete Jul 31st 2017 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by AndyMan74 (Post 12305850)
It seems that I can use the address of a family friend as a placeholder permanent address and then at POE change it to the address of the hotel.

PS - Just goes to show that the SEARCH feature IS your best friend.

Well you're the one that said that you would give the family friend as a placeholder permanent address and then at the POE change it to the address of the hotel.

They mail it to the address you give at the POE when you have your biometrics for the green card. Not the address you the DS.