DS-230 - Legal Requirement?

Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:31 am
Just Joined

jorge 1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DS-230 - Legal Requirement?

Thanks Karen D.
You have helped me in my case.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Rene,

No, I don't think the DS-230-II will be part of the AOS paperwork. It wasn't for my ex-wife.

Remember also, the DS-230 is a Department of State form, a visa application form. AOS is by the Department of Homeland Security and the need for a visa is past.

Regards, JEff
Thanks, JEff....note missing timeline :-)

Rene
Old Dec 19th 2003, 3:37 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
My old wills and trusts professor, Jack Bennano (sp? Ba-Na-No) is excellent. He's in the bay area, and probably in the book. If you can't find him in the book, call San Francisco Law School and I'm sure they can give you his contact information.
Wouldn't it be best to find someone in the same city I live in though?

So basically what I sort of gathered is: try finding one by word-of-mouth; test them by seeing how fast they will respond to you; don't get charged over $100 for a phone consultation. Thanks guys!
Old Dec 19th 2003, 8:28 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Steffi
Wouldn't it be best to find someone in the same city I live in though?
Probably, however I can see where wills & trusts or estate planning could easily be done from a remote location. Of course, he's in California and if you guys are not in California, than you might want to check around in your state.

Plus, he (my old prof.) might be able to recommend a colleague closer to your location. Hey, why not try a university law school near your area and contact the wills & trusts professor there and ask him or her if they currently take on new clients or ask for a recommendation for a colleague that professor knows is good in this area of the vineyard of the law.
Old Dec 19th 2003, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

I would do what the embassy requests. Legal or not you are going to have to satisify them. In my case they sent me forms that have not been used in years. In one of my consultations an attorney alerted me to this fact and told me point blank...use the forms they send you. Legal is an issue but the greater issue is what will work in the least amount of time without breaking the law. The law may be carved in stane and in bold black and white: but, ajudication of that lawe is an entirely different matter.

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." Ted Williams

Originally posted by Karen D
I am in discussions with the Lawyer I hired to obtain my K1 visa. During the process, he advised me that the DS-230 was irrelevant - i.e. I didn't need to complete it in order to obtain my K1.

I know for a fact that this is not the case as the US Embassy in London sent me form DS-230 to fill in! I also know that this is not peculiar to the US Embassy, many other countries also state it as a requirement.

My Lawyer's argument is that it is not a "Legal Requirement", which, he explained, is why he told me it was irrelevent and therefore feels he did not give me incorrect advice. I explained to him that as he was handling my case, I expected him to advise me on what was required in order to obtain my visa, whether a legal requirement or not. I feel for certain that if I had said to the US Embassy in London, "I am not filling DS-230 in as it is not a legal requirement", I would not have got my visa!

I sent an email to the US Embassy in London and this was their reply:

"As per the information provided on our website, form DS-230 is required as part of the K-1 fianc・瘢雹visa application and is one of the components in the set of forms that fianc・瘢雹visa applicants complete:

"On receipt of the visa applicant's file from the National Visa Center (NVC) in New Hampshire, the Immigrant Visa Unit of this Embassy will send the applicant the forms that he or she is required to complete in connection with the administrative processing of the application. The fianc馥 visa packet consists of a biographic data form DS-230-I Part I, form DS-156 (in duplicate), form DS-156K, form DS-2000 and a document checklist, form IV-15."

The website link is:
http://www.usembassy.org.uk//cons_we...processing.htm

I hope this is responsive to your inquiry."

It is useful information but still doesn't state that DS-230 is a legal requirement.

Can anyone give me any further advice or comments about this please.

Thanks