Reload this Page >

DS-160 Photo nightmare!

DS-160 Photo nightmare!

Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

NickRE2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DS-160 Photo nightmare!

Hi,

i'm trying to upload a photo for my DS-160, and I'm having a total nightmare uploading the photo.

No matter how I seem to crop it, I'm getting the same error each time :

Head size or position relative to image dimensions may be incorrect

I'm obviously going wrong somewhere (I'm using paint shop pro to re-size and crop the image) can anyone help or offer any tips at all?

Thanks!
Old Jun 4th 2010, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DS-160 Photo nightmare!

Originally Posted by NickRE2000
Head size or position relative to image dimensions may be incorrect.
Is this the actual message? That it "may" be incorrect? By extension, it "may" not be incorrect.

I'm obviously going wrong somewhere (I'm using paint shop pro to re-size and crop the image) can anyone help or offer any tips at all?
I'm not familiar with PSP - does it have a ruler overlay? If so, and if you believe the photo is the correct size, then I'd say the problem is simply a reporting error on their side.

Ian
Old Jun 4th 2010, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Yes thats the exact error.

This is when I'm at the "test photo" stage right at the start of the form - before ive actually entered any details.

The only option I have then is to complete the form without the photo
Old Jun 4th 2010, 12:47 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes thats the exact error.

This is when I'm at the "test photo" stage right at the start of the form - before ive actually entered any details.

The only option I have then is to complete the form without the photo
You can save the online application to a file on your computer, all the way up to the part that requires uploading a photo, which is the last step. The system doesn't save your application if you're inactive for too long or exit the application without saving.

I suspect there may be some problems with the head size measurements:
From Top of hair to bottom of chin, it should be 25 to 35 mm or 50% to 69% of image height. From eye level to bottom of photo, it should be 28 to 35 mm or 56% to 69% of image height.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/guide/guide_3882.html
Old Jun 4th 2010, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, thanks for the replies so far.

I've now completed the form right up until the photo upload stage.

I've even been to a have a photo taken this afternoon in US passport size, I have the electronic copy and it wont accept that either. Would someone be albe to take a look at the image if i upload it and see where I'm going wrong?

Thanks,

Nick
Old Jun 4th 2010, 2:06 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, thanks for the replies so far.

I've now completed the form right up until the photo upload stage.

I've even been to a have a photo taken this afternoon in US passport size, I have the electronic copy and it wont accept that either. Would someone be albe to take a look at the image if i upload it and see where I'm going wrong?

Thanks,

Nick
Advice: May not be a good idea to have your photo posted on a public forum.

Did you check all the other specifications, such as 600X600 pixels, picture in square format and in JPEG 24 bit color format, smaller than 240 kb?? Did you manually measure the photo and see if it meets the specifications I listed (Can't always trust the passport photo people).

Also, excuse me if I can't put it more diplomatically...do you have any unusual anatomy that results in a much larger/smaller head than a normal person?
Old Jun 4th 2010, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Success!

Thanks for all the help and advice, its much appreciated!

Think the lenght of my head was the issue ended up taking another photo and managed to get it right.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Success!

Thanks for all the help and advice, its much appreciated!

Think the lenght of my head was the issue ended up taking another photo and managed to get it right.

Thanks again!
On the subject of filling out these DS-160s - can I book the interview slot before I have completed the online DS-160 submission ?

Also I guess I need to book in my wife and 14 year old child. Do we all need separate interviews or will one appointment for all of us suffice ?

Cheers
Addy
Old Jun 8th 2010, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

You can book your appointment before completing the form.

My case is a single application, but I think your family can all attend the same interview as yourself.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

You can book your appointment before completing the form.

My case is a single application, but I think your family can all attend the same interview as yourself.
Great thanks for the info Nick.

I'll start ringing that number as soon as I can. Getting 6 valid photos for the DS-160 application will take quite a bit of photo processing and patience from the parents!

Cheers
Addy
Old Jun 8th 2010, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

adlib222 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahem, it's just one photo each, I believe
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
On the subject of filling out these DS-160s - can I book the interview slot before I have completed the online DS-160 submission ?

Also I guess I need to book in my wife and 14 year old child. Do we all need separate interviews or will one appointment for all of us suffice ?

Cheers
Addy

FAQs

Are individual appointments required?

Family or married couples applying for visas at the same time may schedule one appointment per family or couple. All others must schedule individual appointments.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna

FAQs

Are individual appointments required?

Family or married couples applying for visas at the same time may schedule one appointment per family or couple. All others must schedule individual appointments.
Thanks for all the advice, I've started the online process now and are working on getting photos of my whole family (4 kids).

But I just tried phoning that premium rate booking number and it bounces me as soon as I say I want a non-immigrant visa. Tried 5+ times already tonight and I bet I get charged £1.20 a pop!

Anyone had any luck getting through - what's a good/bad time ?

Cheers
Addy
Old Jun 9th 2010, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the advice, I've started the online process now and are working on getting photos of my whole family (4 kids).

But I just tried phoning that premium rate booking number and it bounces me as soon as I say I want a non-immigrant visa. Tried 5+ times already tonight and I bet I get charged £1.20 a pop!

Anyone had any luck getting through - what's a good/bad time ?

Cheers
Addy
After 10+ attempts between 8pm to 9pm tonight I had to give up. The BT charge callback service quoted 55p (inc VAT) for a 20s call so at least its not the flat £1.41 per attempt!

Perhaps they just close the lines once they have enough calls to take them through to 9pm ?

I'll start again tomorrow ...
Old Jun 10th 2010, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

After 10+ attempts between 8pm to 9pm tonight I had to give up. The BT charge callback service quoted 55p (inc VAT) for a 20s call so at least its not the flat £1.41 per attempt!

Perhaps they just close the lines once they have enough calls to take them through to 9pm ?

I'll start again tomorrow ...
Finally got through at 2pm today. $900 later we're all sorted for an appointment at the beginning of July.

Just make sure you have the I-797 (Receipt number and Case Type) and all your passport details to hand before calling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.