Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

DS-156 form - Puzzled at various questions...

Wikiposts

DS-156 form - Puzzled at various questions...

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road
Red face DS-156 form - Puzzled at various questions...

Hi,

I've searched and searched for help on this but can't quite see the answers and so I'm obviously being dafter than most or else others are better at finding help. The last thing I want to do is mess up these forms and so would appreciate any help on the following:

(Background: L1-B Petition filed by US attorney and approved. Embassy interview is on April 17th. Also need L2's for missus and two little'uns.)

22. When do you intend to arrive in the U.S.?

At this stage, we still don't have a firm date but the earliest would be sometime in May. Should we select May 2009 and not put a day or would we be better off leaving it unanswered?

24. At what address will you stay in the U.S.?

We don't know yet. We will be staying in a hotel for at least a week while we sort out accommodation. Should we say unknown - or perhaps accommodation to be sought, or put the address of the most likely hotel?

26. How long do you intend to stay in the U.S.?

The reality is that I hope ultimately to get an employer sponsored greencard and stay indefinitely but for the purposes of the visa (which the attorney says authorises a stay for 5 years (although I had thought an L1B was only 3?) - what should I put here?

27. What is the purpose of the trip?

Company transfer to position in the U.S. ? Is this enough or are they looking for details?

28. Who will pay for the trip?

Employer is paying for flights but it's not a trip as such...??

29. Have you ever been in the U.S?

Answer is yes but it then asks "Enter additional visits to U.S. here". I have been to the US countless times. Do I need to try and work out every single one? How far back would I reasonably need to go?

31. Has anyone ever filed an Immigrant Visa Petition on your behalf?

The answer to this is, strictly speaking, "yes" - the company's immigration attorney in the US - but only for this move. Does this mean a previous Petition or can I answer yes on the basis that I have just received the I-797A approval of the petition?

Sorry to be so wordy. We just want to be honest but do it in the right way.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Doug.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:02 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DS-156 form - Puzzled at various questions...

Originally Posted by Dougster75
Hi,

I've searched and searched for help on this but can't quite see the answers and so I'm obviously being dafter than most or else others are better at finding help. The last thing I want to do is mess up these forms and so would appreciate any help on the following:

(Background: L1-B Petition filed by US attorney and approved. Embassy interview is on April 17th. Also need L2's for missus and two little'uns.)

22. When do you intend to arrive in the U.S.?

At this stage, we still don't have a firm date but the earliest would be sometime in May. Should we select May 2009 and not put a day or would we be better off leaving it unanswered?

24. At what address will you stay in the U.S.?

We don't know yet. We will be staying in a hotel for at least a week while we sort out accommodation. Should we say unknown - or perhaps accommodation to be sought, or put the address of the most likely hotel?

26. How long do you intend to stay in the U.S.?

The reality is that I hope ultimately to get an employer sponsored greencard and stay indefinitely but for the purposes of the visa (which the attorney says authorises a stay for 5 years (although I had thought an L1B was only 3?) - what should I put here?

27. What is the purpose of the trip?

Company transfer to position in the U.S. ? Is this enough or are they looking for details?

28. Who will pay for the trip?

Employer is paying for flights but it's not a trip as such...??

29. Have you ever been in the U.S?

Answer is yes but it then asks "Enter additional visits to U.S. here". I have been to the US countless times. Do I need to try and work out every single one? How far back would I reasonably need to go?

31. Has anyone ever filed an Immigrant Visa Petition on your behalf?

The answer to this is, strictly speaking, "yes" - the company's immigration attorney in the US - but only for this move. Does this mean a previous Petition or can I answer yes on the basis that I have just received the I-797A approval of the petition?

Sorry to be so wordy. We just want to be honest but do it in the right way.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Doug.
"22. When do you intend to arrive in the U.S.?"

It says "intend" so May 2009 should be ok.

"24. At what address will you stay in the U.S.?"

Find a hotel address that you'd be likely to stay at initially. If your plans change, just put the new address on the I-94 upon arrival.

"26. How long do you intend to stay in the U.S.?"

For the validity period of the L visa.

"27. What is the purpose of the trip?"

Intra-company transferee

"28. Who will pay for the trip?"

My employer and I.

"29. Have you ever been in the U.S?"

Approximately <number of visits> visits not exceeding <enter duration of longest trip>. You can also put the information for the most recent long trips and add "and <number of visits> visits not exceeding <enter duration of longest trip> days. "

"31. Has anyone ever filed an Immigrant Visa Petition on your behalf?"

An L visa is not an immigrant visa petition. An I-130 or I-140 would be an immigrant visa petition possible an I-129F as a pseudo immigrant visa petition. An L-1 is a nonimmigrant visa that allows dual-intent. If there was no I-130/I-140 you can answer NO.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DS-156 form - Puzzled at various questions...

This is really helpful and much appreciated. Thank you.

Good spot on the immigrant vs non-immigrant - It would help if I'd read all the questions correctly - I guess I fail the IQ test...

Cheers,

Doug.