DS-156 - Expiry?

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold
Default DS-156 - Expiry?

Hello,

I'm wondering how far in advance I can print out my DS-156. I only just got my NOA1 for the I-129F and am not expecting to hear anything back on that til about Dec but just wanted to get organised and start sorting the forms and other docs I need for when that time comes .

Does it have an expiry date? Could I fill it out now and just sign/date it later? Is that barcode and form on the/a (?) US database once I generate it? (So, for example if any details changed or I made a mistake could I re-print it and generate a new barcode?)

I can't see anywhere on the DS-156 where I have to input any ref numbers regarding my I-129F application, so I guess it should be ok to print it out.

I also can't see anywhere that says I can't print it out ahead of time and the current expiration date is 2014, so it should be alright.

What do you think? Thanks for your time

Last edited by Holliver; Aug 22nd 2011 at 9:47 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: DS-156 - Expiry?

As long as the expiration date at the top is in date it doesn't matter how far in advance I fill it in? But I should just sign and date it later.

Have I just answered my own question?
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holliver
As long as the expiration date at the top is in date it doesn't matter how far in advance I fill it in? But I should just sign and date it later.

Have I just answered my own question?
Form expiry dates are in the lower right corner of the forms....not the top.

Rene
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Form expiry dates are in the lower right corner of the forms....not the top.

Rene
I just checked again and it's in the top right of this form. So are the expiry dates for the DS230 and DS157. I know the I-129F had it at the bottom, but it also had it at the top too.

Last edited by Holliver; Aug 22nd 2011 at 10:09 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked again and it's in the top right of this form. So are the expiry dates for the DS230 and DS157. I know the I-129F had it at the bottom, but it also had it at the top too.
The date on the top right corner is not the form expiration date. It's the OMB expiration, which is something else altogether.

The latest DOS visa forms are available here: http://www.state.gov/m/a/dir/forms/visa/index.htm
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna
The date on the top right corner is not the form expiration date. It's the OMB expiration, which is something else altogether.
OK

The latest DOS visa forms are available here: http://www.state.gov/m/a/dir/forms/visa/index.htm
Yeah, that's the place I"m getting them from. So is the expiry date on the bottom left? 5-2008? It looks like I've been downloading the most up-to-date versions

Could you help me with my original query please - Can I fill in the online DS-156 months in advance? And if I make a mistake or need to correct something will generating a new barcode cause problems in the future?

Thank you
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You can google to see what the OMB expirations are about.

The most current forms available are on the DOS page I linked; that is where I would download them if I were applying for a visa.

In terms of filling out your DS forms now, you can do a practice run one and print it out for reference, but I would NOT complete an online electronic submission form.
Why? Because you don't exist to them yet. It really helps most people when they get a grasp on the several different agencies they'll be dealing with. Right now, your fiance has a petition pending with USCIS. When it is approved, USCIS will notify Dept of State (DOS) and you will be invited to apply for a visa.

If you send a form in before you have a DOS case number (London ones start with LND), there is nothing to match it up with and they won't save it for a future 'somebody'.

The process will go smoothly if you play it by their system. When there are opportunities to shortcut the process, someone here will usually have made note of it.. act on those if you like.
I've never heard of anyone successfully submitting their DS forms before petition approval.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

You can google to see what the OMB expirations are about.

The most current forms available are on the DOS page I linked; that is where I would download them if I were applying for a visa.

In terms of filling out your DS forms now, you can do a practice run one and print it out for reference, but I would NOT complete an online electronic submission form.
Why? Because you don't exist to them yet. It really helps most people when they get a grasp on the several different agencies they'll be dealing with. Right now, your fiance has a petition pending with USCIS. When it is approved, USCIS will notify Dept of State (DOS) and you will be invited to apply for a visa.

If you send a form in before you have a DOS case number (London ones start with LND), there is nothing to match it up with and they won't save it for a future 'somebody'.

The process will go smoothly if you play it by their system. When there are opportunities to shortcut the process, someone here will usually have made note of it.. act on those if you like.
I've never heard of anyone successfully submitting their DS forms before petition approval.
Ah, OK, now I totally understand

That's exactly what I wanted to know, but perhaps didn't manage to word it very eloquently because I didn't know which agency to write. Now I know - the barcode does mean something and the form will be sent somewhere. I asked because I have to take this form to the interview (Tokyo embassy) and wasn't sure whether it would go somewhere else first.

I have already printed out practice ones

Thank you
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:52 pm

Ah, OK, now I totally understand

That's exactly what I wanted to know, but perhaps didn't manage to word it very eloquently because I didn't know which agency to write. Now I know - the barcode does mean something and the form will be sent somewhere. I asked because I have to take this form to the interview (Tokyo embassy) and wasn't sure whether it would go somewhere else first.

I have already printed out practice ones

Thank you
I should've looked at the 'Japan' under your name.. we hardly ever get anyone here who is applying outside of London anymore.

It looks like you will send in DS-230 I *first*.
http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-niv-k.html

Your DS-156 will be submitted online, so you must wait until instructed to complete it.

Follow your local procedures; they are different everywhere.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

I should've looked at the 'Japan' under your name.. we hardly ever get anyone here who is applying outside of London anymore.

It looks like you will send in DS-230 I *first*.
http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-niv-k.html

Your DS-156 will be submitted online, so you must wait until instructed to complete it.

Follow your local procedures; they are different everywhere.
Yes, I know I keep confusing myself by reading everyone else's posts about what to send in with what and when. I'll make sure I stick to my embassy's procedure

Thanks for your help