DS-156 # 24 not filled : visa on-hold...please help

Wikiposts

DS-156 # 24 not filled : visa on-hold...please help

Old Nov 13th 2004, 12:10 am
Just Joined

rohitnarulla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DS-156 # 24 not filled : visa on-hold...please help

Hi Group,

I attended my H-1B interview in Chennai this week. My visa has been refused for the moment.

I was about to get finished with my interview and it was my sheer bad luck that he noticed the answer to that question at the end.

The Conular Officer DID NOT put any stamp like "Application received" on the last page of my passport but instead put that stamp on a letter he gave to me (see below for rough format of the letter). The only remark he wrote on the last page of the passport is "221(g)" in pen and a black-stamp of date I attended the interview.

I was told by the Consular Officer that I have not answered Q: 24 on from DS-156. The Q#24 basically asks "At what address are you goning to stay in US?" to whcih I answered "To be determined" as was suggested by my lawyer. The officer said that "I can not issue a visa with that information in your DS-156" and asked me to re-apply thru the drop-box after providing proper answer to Q:24. (No need to go for personal interview again).

The letter given by him says that my in order to issue me a visa, they need "additonal information". The format of the letter given is something like this:... (not exact wordings)

Dear applicant,
We are unable to issue your visa at this time. Your application needs following additional information: {check-box containg "checked" word holds true in my case}
[] passport not valid
[] copy of all pages of passport
[] blah-blah
[checked] other: COMPLETE DS 156 # 24

The letter then asks me to submit following documents:
1. I-797
2. I-129
3. Original LCA petition filed by my employer
alongwith my passport, visa issuanbce fee Demand draft and a photo.

Questions:
=========

1. Has anyone experinced the same problem like this?
2. Should I be sending only those documents requested by them of the above letter or should I send everything I took for my personal interview (previous employer experience letters, degree certificates, marksheets etc)
3. After I send my application thru dropbox, would the same Conular Officer look into my case of would someone else look into it? Does anyone know how do things operate in consulate office? (In hospitals, for e.g, a doctor writes some clinical notes on record of a patient and another doctor can read and take some decison based on that. Does the same analogy hold true in case of consular world?)
4. Would the consular office would (again) look into my other documents again or would they just see if I have filled DS-156 # 24 alongwith with other fields of course and take decision or would they have a re-look into the entire case again?
5. Apporximately how much time would it take for processing thru drop-box in Chennai consulate?

I guess the US consular chaps are on 221(g) toll here in India as I am hearing lots and lots of 221(g) cases. Whats up?

-Rohit