Wikiposts

Drving in the USA

Old Aug 15th 2003, 8:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by shepslady
Why is it a requirement to surrender your overseas lisence?? .....
Because the law says so? You can debate this all you like, and many, like myself, will give you suggestions about how to circumvent the law, but at the end of the day that is what the law says.

Why does the law say that? .... It is so that the state can endorse it, fine you, or suspend it for traffic violations. They, not unreasonably, don't want permanent residents and citizens driving around flashing a license at cops that the cops can't stop you using. It is a jurisdiction thing, and applies equally to US citizens that move from state to state. North Carolina can't endorse a New York license, and so North Carolina (along with, as far as I'm aware, all other states) requires that people who move there must surrender their out-of-state license in exchange for a new local one.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 8:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drving in the USA

Originally posted by ray6
.... It was a year later when I started living with my Insurance Agent .....
Just as I suspected all along - insurers are all out to screw you!
Old Aug 15th 2003, 8:50 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
Just as I suspected all along - insurers are all out to screw you!

Quite right!!! I paid the premium...and got well covered...
Old Aug 15th 2003, 10:28 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Why cant one just sit the driving test here in the US & use that to drive with while in the US & still be able to use their lisence that was issued from their homeland while over there. I find this all rather confusing because when I left home I was told to make sure I keep my NZ driving lisence up to date because if I ever decide to return home to live if my lisence has expired I will be required to start all over again going through the learners permit, restricted permit & then finally full lisence which in NZ takes aprox 18 months to go through not to mention aprox $180 for each stage of the lisence. Ive already given up much of my life in my home country & anything I can keep to keep my kiwi ties I will & I really dont see this as breaking any laws as long as I dont try to drive here in the US on my foreign lisence. Surely this is no crime.

I do understand why they try to enforce this but dont agree with it at all. No disrespect intended.
Cheers
Shepslady
Old Aug 15th 2003, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Nicola76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Scout
You have a month to drive on your UK Liscense here in Georgia. You must have a Social Security number to apply for your liscense and you must surrender your UK Liscense. The good news is the test isn't so bad. Pete passed his test last weekend and he flattened a cone in the parallel parking part of the test, lol. If you plan to move to the Atlanta area, let me know and I will give you the low down on the best testing places. The wait times can vary from just a few minutes to several hours depending on which center you go to.

I informed my insurance company as soon as Pete and I were married that he would be driving my car. You can let them know as soon as you arrive as long as you are living in your fiance's household. So have your fiance call when you get here.

Cheers,

Leslie
Thanks Leslie!

I will be in the Atlanta Area, Smyrna to be precise so any advice on the best testing areas will be gratefully accepted!

Nicola

Timeline TSC
NOA1 January 15th
NOA2 June 19th (Online Status)
NOA2 Letter received June 23rd
NVC Letter recieved July 2nd (dated 30th June)
Packet 3 received July 10th
Returned IV-15 July 21st (Delayed due to being in the USA when it arrived)
Interview date received July 25th
Interview date September 2nd
Moving to the USA September 4th (Not Booked yet!)

Wedding date November 1st
Old Aug 15th 2003, 3:02 pm

Originally posted by shepslady
Why cant one just sit the driving test here in the US & use that to drive with while in the US & still be able to use their license that was issued from their homeland while over there? ....
You can.

Not legally of course, but as long as you don't go flashing your non-US license at cops you won't have a problem.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 4:19 pm
Sj

You might want to check into a International Drivers Permit. I was
able to avoid some Brazilian laws and driving exams (which included a
psychology test -- at least back then they did).

PS: Don't forget that we drive on the RIGHT side of the road....

SJ

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:56:17 +0000, Nicola76
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I will be moving over to the USA early September and was wondering if I
    >am leagally able to drive until I get my SSN and take the Georgia test?
    >I will have Steve's car to drive but was wondering if just my UK licence
    >is ok to begin with or would we need insurance etc.
    >Thanks to anyone who can help
    >Nicola
    >Timeline TSC
    >NOA1 January 15th
    >NOA2 June 19th (Online Status)
    >NOA2 Letter received June 23rd
    >NVC Letter recieved July 2nd (dated 30th June)
    >Packet 3 received July 10th
    >Returned IV-15 July 21st (Delayed due to being in the USA when it
    >arrived)
    >Interview date received July 25th
    >Interview date September 2nd
    >Moving to the USA September 4th (Not Booked yet!)
    >Wedding date November 1st

Old Aug 19th 2003, 9:08 am
David Mehringer

Getting a social security card will probably take significantly longer
than one month (they normally quote 90 days as the typical waiting
period). I guess Georgia expects new immigrants to find alternative
transportation for a couple of months...

Just for comparison, in Illinois, permanent residents have a three month
grace period during which they can drive with liscenses from their home
countries and they do not have to surrender their other liscense.
Immigrants on student visas aren't even required to get a state liscense;
their foreign liscense is good enough for their stay.

>
    > You have a month to drive on your UK Liscense here in Georgia. You must
    > have a Social Security number to apply for your liscense and you must
    > surrender your UK Liscense. The good news is the test isn't so bad. Pete
    > passed his test last weekend and he flattened a cone in the parallel
    > parking part of the test, lol. If you plan to move to the Atlanta area,
    > let me know and I will give you the low down on the best testing places.
    > The wait times can vary from just a few minutes to several hours
    > depending on which center you go to.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I informed my insurance company as soon as Pete and I were married that
    > he would be driving my car. You can let them know as soon as you arrive
    > as long as you are living in your fiance's household. So have your
    > fiance call when you get here.

Old Aug 19th 2003, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Nicola, refer to my timeline below for how long it took Pete to get his SS# here in Atlanta. He could have proably gotten it faster but we apparently didn't wait long enough for the BCIS to get him into the system after his entry on the K1. That makes a difference as to whether or not you can get it when you go to apply for it. BTW, I sent you a Private Message regarding some tips on getting your DL here in Atlanta. Check your messages if you haven't already.

Cheers,

Leslie