Wikiposts

Drving in the USA

Old Aug 14th 2003, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Nicola76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Drving in the USA

I will be moving over to the USA early September and was wondering if I am leagally able to drive until I get my SSN and take the Georgia test? I will have Steve's car to drive but was wondering if just my UK licence is ok to begin with or would we need insurance etc.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Nicola

Timeline TSC
NOA1 January 15th
NOA2 June 19th (Online Status)
NOA2 Letter received June 23rd
NVC Letter recieved July 2nd (dated 30th June)
Packet 3 received July 10th
Returned IV-15 July 21st (Delayed due to being in the USA when it arrived)
Interview date received July 25th
Interview date September 2nd
Moving to the USA September 4th (Not Booked yet!)

Wedding date November 1st
Old Aug 14th 2003, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

NSCastrated is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Drving in the USA

You need to check Georgia state law!! They may give you a month or 3 to drive on your UK license. You should be able to find the info online.

Originally posted by Nicola76
I will be moving over to the USA early September and was wondering if I am leagally able to drive until I get my SSN and take the Georgia test? I will have Steve's car to drive but was wondering if just my UK licence is ok to begin with or would we need insurance etc.

Nicola

Timeline TSC
NOA1 January 15th
NOA2 June 19th (Online Status)
NOA2 Letter received June 23rd
NVC Letter recieved July 2nd (dated 30th June)
Packet 3 received July 10th
Returned IV-15 July 21st (Delayed due to being in the USA when it arrived)
Interview date received July 25th
Interview date September 2nd
Moving to the USA September 4th (Not Booked yet!)

Wedding date November 1st
Old Aug 14th 2003, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

You have a month to drive on your UK Liscense here in Georgia. You must have a Social Security number to apply for your liscense and you must surrender your UK Liscense. The good news is the test isn't so bad. Pete passed his test last weekend and he flattened a cone in the parallel parking part of the test, lol. If you plan to move to the Atlanta area, let me know and I will give you the low down on the best testing places. The wait times can vary from just a few minutes to several hours depending on which center you go to.

I informed my insurance company as soon as Pete and I were married that he would be driving my car. You can let them know as soon as you arrive as long as you are living in your fiance's household. So have your fiance call when you get here.

Cheers,

Leslie

Last edited by Scout; Aug 14th 2003 at 11:36 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 12:47 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Nicola76

Nicola
Georgia motor vehicle dept is at http://www.dmvs.ga.gov/

Try to keep your UK license...they do require you to surrender it... but of course if you have not got it with you they cannnot have it ..
Old Aug 15th 2003, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have your UK with you, they will make you get a letter of dispensation from the UK DL Bureau(or whatever it's called). I know because we just went through all this with the Georgia DMV. The lady was quite ugly about it too. The rules regarding a surrender of your liscense are quite specific in the GA DL manual.

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Aug 15th 2003, 4:22 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Got my driving license

I got my driving license while I was an aupair and didnt have a SSN.. funny huh?
I renewed it (Because I turned 21) and I still have it even though I havent been able to come back to the states for almost a year now..
Old Aug 15th 2003, 4:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
Georgia motor vehicle dept is at http://www.dmvs.ga.gov/

Try to keep your UK license...they do require you to surrender it... but of course if you have not got it with you they cannnot have it ..
Tell them you don't have one! .... Or alternatively apply to the DVLA and get them to issue a replacement as you have "lost" it.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 4:55 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
Tell them you don't have one! .... Or alternatively apply to the DVLA and get them to issue a replacement as you have "lost" it.
If you say the above to the GA DMV, they may assume you've never had a full driving license before and could make you take the GA driving license from scratch, i.e. the sign test, written test and behind the wheel test.

If it turns out this way, you may end up paying very auto ins. premuims because the auto insurers for GA may consider you an inexperienced driver.

I'm just being the Devil's Advocate here and spelling out the worst possible scenario.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 15th 2003, 5:08 am
Just Joined

eastendd is an unknown quantity at this point

Why even tell them that you have a UK license? You have to take the regular test anyway don't you??
Old Aug 15th 2003, 5:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
If you say the above to the GA DMV, they may assume you've never had a full driving license before and could make you take the GA driving license from scratch, i.e. the sign test, written test and behind the wheel test.....
That's what they do in most states anyway. Certainly in New York, where I got US my licence, and from what people here have posted, in most other states too. The only state that I have heard (used to) offer an exchange licence for a British licence holder is New Jersey, and I'm not sure that it is still the case even there.

I know that you and I disagree on this point, but I have seen no evidence that a US insurer has ever sold a policy (that they wouldn't otherwise have sold), or offered a discounted rate to anyone on the basis of their British driving record.

As such, I can see no reason to admit that you have ever had a British licence.

.... Alternatively tell them that it expired (and you have disposed of it) - the DMV clerk isn't likely to know that a standard British licence is issued until you are aged seventy.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 6:07 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it a requirement to surrender your overseas lisence?? There is no way I will be surrending mine because that would mean that when I return home to visit my family I would no longer be permitted to drive. The whole idea of surrending it seems ludicrous so I for one wont be telling them that I have my foreign lisence with me. If they are making me go through the entire process of a learners permit etc I am keeping my foreign lisence which I have had for 30 years. I know they have rules but they arent taking all my kiwi things away from me. Think maybe its best I just dont mention it when I apply for one here.

Cheers
Shepslady
Old Aug 15th 2003, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

msrourke is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I am lucky, I called the DMV here on Guam. With $5 and an English translation of her Thai license she will have a Guam license. No test, no class. Actually kind of scary if you have ever seen how they drive in Thailand....
Old Aug 15th 2003, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I just printed off the Arizona driver license details and drivers manual. Looks like I have my reading material for the flight to Vegas tomorrow! lol
Old Aug 15th 2003, 7:21 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski

I know that you and I disagree on this point, but I have seen no evidence that a US insurer has ever sold a policy (that they wouldn't otherwise have sold), or offered a discounted rate to anyone on the basis of their British driving record.
Well I can definitely back Pulaski on that, When I first got got here I was sold a Policy that took my UK driving experience in account, It was a year later when I started living with my Insurance Agent that I found out it was just a ruse to hook you in...

Why is everybody getting in a TIZ is was just Georgia we are talking about...
Old Aug 15th 2003, 8:34 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by shepslady
Why is it a requirement to surrender your overseas lisence?? There is no way I will be surrending mine because that would mean that when I return home to visit my family I would no longer be permitted to drive. The whole idea of surrending it seems ludicrous so I for one wont be telling them that I have my foreign lisence with me. If they are making me go through the entire process of a learners permit etc I am keeping my foreign lisence which I have had for 30 years. I know they have rules but they arent taking all my kiwi things away from me. Think maybe its best I just dont mention it when I apply for one here.

Cheers
Shepslady
Hi:

Once you take up RESIDENCE in the States, you can use your US Driver's license on VISITS abroad. Been there, done that -- however, I always check before I go -- and its never been a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.