Driving Licence

Old Jun 2nd 2018, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

lenswipe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Licence

So, I currently hold a British driving licence and my I-765 Employment Authorisation (and SSN) are due to be delivered to me tomorrow. Now that I have an SSN, can I apply for a learners permit, or do I have to wait until I get my green card to do that?

Just wondering, because this page seems to suggest that a green card would be required. However, it seems pretty damn stupid because it would make it very difficult to get to whatever job I end up getting...

EDIT: I should mention, I live in MA.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 1:36 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence

You probably need your EAD and Ssn.

Rene
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You probably need your EAD and Ssn.

Rene
Yeah I'm getting those tomorrow (certainly EAD, hopefully ssn too). Just trying to figure out if I need my GC also.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 2:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No, you won't need your green card.

Rene
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Ah ok cool
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

It varies by state, but expect your DL to be only valid until the expiry of your EAD. Make sure you opt for a REAL ID.

You also linked to a none official DMV website.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
t varies by state, but expect your DL to be only valid until the expiry of your EAD.
t varies by state, but expect your DL to be only valid until the expiry of your EAD.

Does that mean I'm gonna have to renew it every time i renew my ead? On that note, what happens when i get my GC? Do i still have to renew my EAD? If so, at what point do I no longer have to renew my EAD?

Originally Posted by tom169
Make sure you opt for a REAL ID.

You also linked to a none official DMV website.
Ah yeah, I posted this last night before i feel asleep. Whoops.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lenswipe
Does that mean I'm gonna have to renew it every time i renew my ead? On that note, what happens when i get my GC? Do i still have to renew my EAD? If so, at what point do I no longer have to renew my EAD
When you get your GC it will superceed your EAD. If it's anything like NC then you'll take your GC to the DMV and renew your licence. Same goes if your GC takes a long time and you need to renew your EAD.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you applying for a learner's licence if you have a full British driving licence?

You apply for a US Driving licence and take the relevant practical test and written test depending on where you live.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 8:59 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Why are you applying for a learner's licence if you have a full British driving licence?

You apply for a US Driving licence and take the relevant practical test and written test depending on where you live.
This must be another thing that varies by state. Certainly in Pennsylvania even if holding a foreign licence you have to take the computer based knowledge test in order to get the learner's permit, only then can you book an appointment to take the road based skills test for the full licence.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Why are you applying for a learner's licence if you have a full British driving licence?.
Because I don't think I can apply for a US driving licence in MA without:
  1. A learner's permit
  2. ~30 hours logged driving in MA on said learners permit

Originally Posted by lizzyq
This must be another thing that varies by state. Certainly in Pennsylvania even if holding a foreign licence you have to take the computer based knowledge test in order to get the learner's permit, only then can you book an appointment to take the road based skills test for the full licence.
Pretty sure that's how it is in MA, no?