Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Drink driving conviction, London interview complications?

Wikiposts

Drink driving conviction, London interview complications?

Old May 12th 2004, 4:30 am
Just Joined

k1visauk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Drink driving conviction, London interview complications?

Hi,

We are most of the way through our visa process. I have my interview coming up soon, however i am worried about a drink driving conviction i have from 3 years.

I know this is not a CIMT, but am worried that it will delay my visa? I have listed this on my packet 3 forms. Does anyone know if this is the case?

I have my court report, and police record stating the conviction.

Many thanks
Old May 12th 2004, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: Drink driving conviction, London interview complications?

Originally posted by k1visauk
Hi,

We are most of the way through our visa process. I have my interview coming up soon, however i am worried about a drink driving conviction i have from 3 years.

I know this is not a CIMT, but am worried that it will delay my visa? I have listed this on my packet 3 forms. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Many thanks
It really shouldn't be a problem, it's not considered a major "conviction"
I know it's not the same but I lost my license way back in 1974, I did declare it on my application and it was never ever mentioned.
I suspect that if they stopped everyone coming to the USA who had a drink driving conviction, a big percentage of us wouldn't be here !!
Anyway, I've bumped this back up top, I'm sure someone with a more current conviction will reply. But from my point of view you really shouldn't worry.
Good luck
Old May 12th 2004, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Thanks, i'm sure someone has been through the process with a similar conviction. Whether it be in the UK or another country, I would just like to know what questions they ask, and if its a possible reason for them to turn down the visa?

Any lawyers can shed light on this? Its the only blip on an otherwise perfect application.
Old May 12th 2004, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Thanks, i'm sure someone has been through the process with a similar conviction. Whether it be in the UK or another country, I would just like to know what questions they ask, and if its a possible reason for them to turn down the visa?

Any lawyers can shed light on this? Its the only blip on an otherwise perfect application.
You mentioned "in the UK or another country" just pre-empting anyone who may respond. Was the drink driving in another country ?
I've been on this board for over 2 years and I've never heard of anyone being turned down for drink driving, as long as that's all it was eg's: failure to stop and report an accident, or something more "involved" than a straight-forward conviction
Old May 12th 2004, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Many thanks
Hi:

Actually under CDC guidelines, the PHYSICIAN is to downcheck you on medical grounds for a DUI less than three years old as a person with a drug problem. There is no waiver for this.

However, the ONLY physicians in the ENTIRE WORLD who do this are the two in Cuidad Juarez [and I've never asked about "la mordida" -- but I digress].

All other physicians for CIS and consulates go on a "don't ask, don't tell" practice and the Consulates don't care.

[At an AILA conference many years ago, this issue came up in a round table involving several people from the Visa Office in D.C. They had called the CDJ physicians to get them to stop their practice and the docs responded with showing the GOVERNMENT guidelines and the contractual promise to follow same.]

There is a tacit agreement that its no problem.
Old May 12th 2004, 1:54 pm
Mrtravelkay

Folinskyinla wrote:
    >
    > Hi:
    >
    > Actually under
    > CDC guidelines, the PHYSICIAN is to downcheck you on medical grounds for
    > a DUI less than three years old as a person with a drug problem. There
    > is no waiver for this.
    >
    > However, the ONLY physicians in the ENTIRE WORLD
    > who do this are the two in Cuidad Juarez

Good for them.. How can we get the other doctors to do this correctly?
We have enough drunk drivers in this country.

Old May 12th 2004, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

My drink driving conviction was in the UK. I was charged a fine, and had my license banned for 18th months. I did a government course and reduced the ban, so i hope that will count in my favour.

What I was hoping that someone else had a similar conviction and had a interview in London and could share there experience here. Or does anyone know of another poster who had a conviction that I could search under?

Thanks
Old May 14th 2004, 2:07 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

My drink driving conviction was in the UK. I was charged a fine, and had my license banned for 18th months. I did a government course and reduced the ban, so i hope that will count in my favour.

What I was hoping that someone else had a similar conviction and had a interview in London and could share there experience here. Or does anyone know of another poster who had a conviction that I could search under?

Thanks
There was a thread on this a while ago, not sure if they delete them. I will have a hunt and repost if i can find it.

James