British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Dress for interview (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/dress-interview-879806/)

Jackie3 Jul 2nd 2016 9:08 pm

Dress for interview
 
Hey,
This may be a silly question, but did people dress smart for the interview at London Consulate?
It looks like it's gonna be warmish next Thursday, but my hubby doesn't wanna be wearing shorts if it's supposed to be more business like wear!

Noorah101 Jul 2nd 2016 9:10 pm

Re: Dress for interview
 

Originally Posted by Jackie3 (Post 11991946)
Hey,
This may be a silly question, but did people dress smart for the interview at London Consulate?
It looks like it's gonna be warmish next Thursday, but my hubby doesn't wanna be wearing shorts if it's supposed to be more business like wear!

I would say most people dress "smart" or "business casual". You don't need to wear a suit, but I wouldn't wear shorts, ripped jeans, or a logo t-shirt.

Rene

Pulaski Jul 2nd 2016 9:27 pm

Re: Dress for interview
 
More or less what Noorah said, but I wouldn't rule out a smart pair of shorts if it is going to be very hot (for London), so long as they are paired with a collared shirt (as opposed to a round-necked T)

Jackie3 Jul 2nd 2016 9:44 pm

Re: Dress for interview
 
Thank you both! That is helpful, I'll let him know, I was thinking a smart shirt and jeans. He could always change into shorts after!! 😀

Nutmegger Jul 3rd 2016 3:47 am

Re: Dress for interview
 
How important is the interview to him? Regardless of the weather, I have always felt that it is appropriate to dress as smartly as one would for any business meeting.

Jackie3 Jul 3rd 2016 7:27 am

Re: Dress for interview
 

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11992104)
How important is the interview to him? Regardless of the weather, I have always felt that it is appropriate to dress as smartly as one would for any business meeting.

That is a good point, I guess because every other time we have been to the embassy it has been for consulate report of birth abroad/ children's passports etc, so it has always been a casual thing, and we haven't even thought about what we wore!
The interview is important to him, and us as a family! I'll make sure to pass this on

cautiousjon Jul 3rd 2016 2:39 pm

Re: Dress for interview
 
When I went for my L1 interview, I wore black trousers, a smart, short sleeved, white and thin blue striped shirt, and some tan shoes. I don't think that anyone paid any special interest to me, but it helped my confidence levels. "I'm a manager, and I can (and do) wear business-appropriate attire."

Ironically, I now wear jeans and a t-shirt to work. :p

Pulaski Jul 3rd 2016 2:43 pm

Re: Dress for interview
 

Originally Posted by cautiousjon (Post 11992472)
When I went for my L1 interview, I wore black trousers, a smart, short sleeved, white and thin blue striped shirt, and some tan shoes. I don't think that anyone paid any special interest to me, but it helped my confidence levels. ....

That's the only reason it is important, because I really don't think anyone at the consulate cares so long as you don't look disheveled or dirty.

Nutmegger Jul 3rd 2016 5:55 pm

Re: Dress for interview
 
This opinion piece about a citizenship ceremony is from today's New York Times. The circumstances are obviously different, but it just goes to show that erring on the side of formality never hurts where bureaucracy is concerned!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/03/op...ants.html?_r=0

Smartyy Jul 3rd 2016 7:16 pm

Re: Dress for interview
 
I have my visa interview in 3 weeks time and I am going to go in business/formal wear. Black shoes, trousers and a button up dress shirt but unsure on a tie.. I would think the situation would require that sort of dress code myself!

No harm done in playing it safe! :)

ian-mstm Jul 3rd 2016 7:21 pm

Re: Dress for interview
 

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11992609)
... it just goes to show that erring on the side of formality never hurts where bureaucracy is concerned!

I don't disagree, but there is no requirement to dress according to the formality of the proceeding... and I have never heard of any potential US citizen being denied access to the Oath Ceremony because they weren't dressed appropriately. I think people are so fearful of any misstep and are so easily intimidated, that they tuck tail and obey unquestioningly anything said to them! US immigration might request that you dress appropriately for the ceremony, but it's just a request... and nothing more than that.

Ian

Nutmegger Jul 3rd 2016 7:46 pm

Re: Dress for interview
 

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 11992690)
I don't disagree, but there is no requirement to dress according to the formality of the proceeding... and I have never heard of any potential US citizen being denied access to the Oath Ceremony because they weren't dressed appropriately. I think people are so fearful of any misstep and are so easily intimidated, that they tuck tail and obey unquestioningly anything said to them! US immigration might request that you dress appropriately for the ceremony, but it's just a request... and nothing more than that.

Ian


Did you read the article? Yes, there certainly is no requirement, but these people got royally messed around by some jobsworth types.

ian-mstm Jul 3rd 2016 8:24 pm

Re: Dress for interview
 

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 11992711)
Did you read the article?

I did, yes.



... these people got royally messed around by some jobsworth types.
I agree... because people are afraid that a request, even by a jobsworth, translates to something mandatory. It's a shame that people who are about to become US citizens don't better understand the rights afforded to them by law.

Ian

Nutmegger Jul 3rd 2016 8:51 pm

Re: Dress for interview
 

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 11992728)
I did, yes.



I agree... because people are afraid that a request, even by a jobsworth, translates to something mandatory. It's a shame that people who are about to become US citizens don't better understand the rights afforded to them by law.

Ian


I agree with your point of view, and I think it is easy for us to be aware of and insist on our rights. However, unfortunately, in Brooklyn there are going to be many people who just squeaked by the language requirement and for whom it is ingrained not to question what is said by someone in "authority." This is their last step to "freedom" and they don't want to blow it.

Boiler Jul 4th 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Dress for interview
 
I saw all sorts.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:10 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.