Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Domicile for main sponsor when you have a joint sponsor

Wikiposts

Domicile for main sponsor when you have a joint sponsor

Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

LondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura aboutLondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura aboutLondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura about
Default Domicile for main sponsor when you have a joint sponsor

If you have a joint sponsor, proving income and their domicile, does the main sponsor still have to evidence their domicile? I'm asking because the Consular Officer gave me two options at the interview.

1. Main sponsor to get a job in US and prove US income and domicile
or
2. Get a joint sponsor to prove income and their domicile.

He was speaking so quickly, I can't be sure I didn't miss something.

I'm happy to evidence my wifes efforts to domicile but just wanted to see whether it is necessary when you have a joint sponsor.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 3:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Domicile for main sponsor when you have a joint sponsor

Originally Posted by LondonLondon2USA
If you have a joint sponsor, proving income and their domicile, does the main sponsor still have to evidence their domicile? I'm asking because the Consular Officer gave me two options at the interview.

1. Main sponsor to get a job in US and prove US income and domicile
or
2. Get a joint sponsor to prove income and their domicile.

He was speaking so quickly, I can't be sure I didn't miss something.

I'm happy to evidence my wifes efforts to domicile but just wanted to see whether it is necessary when you have a joint sponsor.
The issues of qualifying as a sponsor for the I-864, and the issue of domicile (or intent to domicile) are two different things.

To my knowledge, yes...it is possible for the sponsor to not meet the income requirements for the I-864, but still be able to prove intent to domicile successfully.

With the joint sponsor, there is no question of domicile at all, because the joint sponsor MUST live in the USA already.

And of course if the sponsor moves back to the USA first, gets a job, and then completes an I-864, there won't be a question of domicile there either because the sponsor is actually living in the USA.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2008, 4:05 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thought you already had the interview but that the decision was placed on hold until you submitted an I-864 from a co-sponsor. Your wife doesn't have to prove domicle at this point as she had already done so with the initial submission of documentation and she need not provide a new I-864 unless she is currently living in the US and has taken up the job offer she has accepted.

Your co-sponsor has to live in the US currently and be either a USC or PR which they have to document. If they are using paystubs as verification of income then that will be proof of domicle. Remember they should include either a copy of their US Passport to show citizenship or a copy of their green card if they are a PR.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

LondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura aboutLondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura aboutLondonLondon2USA has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rete
Thought you already had the interview but that the decision was placed on hold until you submitted an I-864 from a co-sponsor. Your wife doesn't have to prove domicle at this point as she had already done so with the initial submission of documentation and she need not provide a new I-864 unless she is currently living in the US and has taken up the job offer she has accepted.

Your co-sponsor has to live in the US currently and be either a USC or PR which they have to document. If they are using paystubs as verification of income then that will be proof of domicle. Remember they should include either a copy of their US Passport to show citizenship or a copy of their green card if they are a PR.
You are right but the consular officer wanted a bit more evidence from my wife about her domicile. Because she was born in UK and raised here, he wanted a covering letter with her full intentions to domicile to the US and any further evidence she could provide. This was in conjunction with evidence of a job and pay slips as proof of income. Although the job would go some way to proving it.

However, he didn't mention she would have to prove domicile when he discussed the second option of a joint sponsor. I just wanted to know whether a joint sponsor, takes away the need for the main sponsor to have to evidence domicile. We will do it anyway just in case. I was just seeing if there was a definitive answer.